AtoM 2.2 installation failure 504 Gateway timeout

thie...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2015, 4:31:21 PM12/30/15
to ICA-AtoM Users
In the web installation sequence, I got to the Configure Database page, filled in the relevant fields and then after a quite long delay got a 504 Gateway timeout. What's the problem here?

I had a lot of trouble getting it to accept the database user and password. It wouldn't accept either the root or the atom user until I restarted php5-fpm and then finally it went to the gateway error.

Any ideas?

thie...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2015, 4:35:24 PM12/30/15
to ICA-AtoM Users, thie...@gmail.com
I should also note here that if I just go to the base URL now, http://52.33.10.2/, all I get is the 504 error. I can't get anything else out of the machine.

thie...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2015, 6:05:55 PM12/31/15
to ICA-AtoM Users, thie...@gmail.com
Here's what shows up in the nginx error.log when you try to access the machine:

2015/12/31 23:01:33 [error] 1075#0: *9 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 68.103.47.15, server: _, request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.atom.sock", host: "52.33.10.2"

I have only very vague ideas as to what this means.

Dan Gillean

Jan 4, 2016, 1:11:40 PM1/4/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi John,

Thanks for posting in the AtoM User Forum, and sorry for the delay in replying.

There are a few troubleshooting suggestions for the AtoM 2.2 install in the following threads - have you already tried following these?

I'm hoping that deleting the config/config.php file, re-configuring the permissions, and restarting php5-fpm will allow the database credentials to stick. I'm not sure why the page is timing out at that stage, but I suspect it is probably related.

Let us know if this helps - if not, I'll ask a developer to take a look at this thread. Anything else you can tell us about your installation environment (e.g. have you followed our recommended installation configuration? Are you hosting yourself or using an external provider, etc) will help us give a better answer.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

jthi...@bethelks.edu

Jan 4, 2016, 5:24:04 PM1/4/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
I was finally able to arrive at a successful installation and the default AtoM home page.

I did the following, but I'm not sure which item or combination of items was decisive:
- deleted and re-created the atom database
- deleted and re-created the atom user
- deleted the atom/config/config.php file (I did this multiple times over the course of my experimenting)
- restarted php5-fpm

This on a Ubuntu 14.04 image on Amazon EC2. Other than being on Amazon, I think it's a plain vanilla setup.

So, in any case, it's working to the extent that I entered an archival institution record and can try creating some archival descriptions.

Dan Gillean

Jan 4, 2016, 6:41:21 PM1/4/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi John,

Thanks for the update - I'm glad to hear it's working! We have a number of these bugs fixed in our 2.2.1 branch. Our upcoming priority is to do some throrough release testing this month, so we can make a 2.2.1 release available that should avoid many of these issues for future installations. Sorry you ran into them in the meantime; I'm glad you were able to work through them.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.