View menu.

taehyung Kim

May 29, 2018, 3:08:17 AM5/29/18
to AtoM Users
Is there a feature that shows or does not show menus, depending on the user or group?

Dan Gillean

May 29, 2018, 11:35:51 AM5/29/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Taehyung,

Yes, access to the menus in the AtoM header bar are dependent on the permissions of the user/group. We have some details on the default group permissions in our documentation here:
This is one of the few pages in the AtoM documentation that was written early on in AtoM 2's life by a volunteer, and we haven't had time to revisit it, so I apologize for ways in which it may be incomplete or could be better organized. However it should still give you a sense of the different groups.

Essentially, Administrators are the only ones who can access the Admin menu.

In the current version, The Add and Manage menus are visible to all logged in users, including authenticated users who are not added to any group. However, access to the records in most of those menus is denied. There is a bug where an authenticated user can access and view Physical storage locations, and a few other inconsistencies we've found: we are addressing those in the following ticket for 2.5:
  • Only authenticated users in the contributor, editor, and admin groups should be able to see menu items to add content
  • Only administrators should be able to browse physical objects
  • Only administrators should be able to browse and delete rights holders
  • Only administrators should be able to browse the search/descriptionUpdates page
  • Only editors and administrators should be able to browse, and view detail pages for, taxonomies
    • The exceptions being place, subject, and genre access points - all users need to be able to browse these
  • Only translators, editors, and administrators should be able to edit terms
  • Only contributors, editors, and administrators should be able to browse accessions
  • Only translators, editors, and administrators should be able to edit accessions
  • Only contributors, editors, and administrators should be able to browse donors
  • Only translators, editors, and administrators should be able to edit functions
  • Only translators, editors, and administrators should be able to edit repositories
Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 3:08 AM, taehyung Kim <rm.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there a feature that shows or does not show menus, depending on the user or group?

taehyung Kim

May 29, 2018, 9:03:22 PM5/29/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Dan Gillean, I have a question related to the above.

There are Authority record permissions and Actor permissions on the tabs for user and group permissions.
I think the permissions of the two tabs are the same. However, the name of the tab is different.
I wonder if it is just a different name or different permissions.

2018년 5월 30일 수요일 오전 12시 35분 51초 UTC+9, Dan Gillean 님의 말:

Dan Gillean

May 30, 2018, 10:46:42 AM5/30/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Taehyung,

Haha! Yes, these are the same things - I suspect this is an inconsistency left over from the early days of AtoM.

Because AtoM may be used by other cultural heritage institutions (like libraries, galleries, and museums), in AtoM's data model we use more generic names for the major entities. Some examples include:
  • Archival description = information object
  • Authority record = actor
  • Archival institution = repository
You can see some of these in Admin > Settings > User interface labels, where users can configure their preferred terminology for the display on search/browse pages of some entity types:

In the case you found, I suspect the difference is unintentional. Ideally, both tabs should use the user interface label settings. However, it appears that currently neither are - and they have both been hardcoded with different labels, which I agree is confusing.

I have filed a bug report so that we can keep track of this inconsistency, and hopefully address it in a future release. See:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056