EAD import: digital archival object

filip....@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2012, 3:32:19 AM7/27/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have some questions regarding an EAD-import: for an unknown reason ICA-Atom does not import links to digital archival objects.
I'm using the dao-element for this purpose. I've tried with placing the dao-element under the did-element as well as under the c-element; but no luck for so far. Adding links (manual) through the interface works like a charm, but linking through the EAD-import fails. The EAD-files we generated are valid.

Can you provide me a snippet of an EAD-document with a working sample?
If the EAD-document is not the issue, what may be the reason for this problem? Something related the configuration of the application?

Btw:
- the dao-element is (still) missing in the EAD-export
- in the dutch version: the label 'cancel' has the wrong caption while deleting descriptions. 'Verwijderen' is mentioned twice.

Thx in advance,
Filip

JBushey, ICA-AtoM Product Manager

Jul 27, 2012, 1:12:46 PM7/27/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com, filip....@gmail.com
Dear Flip,

Have you had a chance to review these discussions about digital objects?
 https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ica-atom-users/fNA7yndDl_4/HlzM7yT1Bc0J
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ica-atom-users/fNA7yndDl_4/i-dqK4k7pH4J
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ica-atom-users/vbrO09M8eEY/7SU0ll-b-UwJ

If these are not helpful, and no-one from the community responds, please post another response on the forum and one of our developers will respond.

Regards,
Jessica Bushey

JBushey, ICA-AtoM Product Manager

Jul 27, 2012, 1:17:13 PM7/27/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com, filip....@gmail.com
Additionally, you may be interested in viewing Issue 640 http://code.google.com/p/qubit-toolkit/issues/detail?id=640

Regards,
Jessica Bushey

On Friday, July 27, 2012 3:32:19 AM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
On Friday, July 27, 2012 3:32:19 AM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
On Friday, July 27, 2012 3:32:19 AM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
On Friday, July 27, 2012 3:32:19 AM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
On Friday, July 27, 2012 3:32:19 AM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
On Friday, July 27, 2012 3:32:19 AM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:

filip....@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2012, 2:34:16 PM7/27/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com, filip....@gmail.com
Dear Jessica,

Yes, I read those discussions before posting my question. Those discussions are more about redirecting, METS & embedding content in XML and linking with external repositories.
I have more or less the same experience and question as in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/ica-atom-users/fNA7yndDl_4/HlzM7yT1Bc0J: "We would really like to import the URIs with the EAD.  We have the URIs embedded in <dao> elements, but those don't import.  And when I export the XML from Atom after I manually add a URI, it doesn't seem to include the digital object information. "

Any follow-up or help on this issue is much appreciated.

Regards,
Filip

Creighton Barrett

Jul 28, 2012, 7:49:44 AM7/28/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com, filip....@gmail.com
Hi Filip,

It's now clear that we'll need to find a way to get some Handles to redirect to the digital object, but only those that are used in our finding aids.  To complicate things further, some handles can have more than one bitstream.  This is a local issue, not an ICA-Atom issue.  I'm not sure how or when we'll tackle this, but we will certainly let the community know if and when we do.

In any case, I think the discussion you linked to provides a fairly good summary of where things stand now.  We're still very interested in <dao> import, but will need to direct our attention to our repository before we can attempt to import or manually add <dao> links.  You might be interested in David's message about importing digital objects via linked URI or base64 embedding in a *METS* import profile (see his message from March 26).  I won't be back on the list until I get back from vacation on August 15, but I will be looking forward to seeing how the discussion unfolds.

Best regards,

Creighton