AtoM on RHEL 7?

Elizabeth Thomson

Jun 15, 2017, 9:39:29 AM6/15/17
to AtoM Users
Hello all,
I'm wondering if anyone in this group is running AtoM on RHEL 7?   Was it straightforward to set up?  Have you noticed any issues at all?
Many thanks for any info folks may be willing to share!

Friesen, Darryl

Jun 15, 2017, 11:26:10 AM6/15/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

We tried initially to setup AtoM 2.4 on RHEL 7 and gave up.  I’m sure it can be done, but it’s a lot of work.

The problem is that RH is very conservative (i.e. way behind) in the versions of software they have in their standard repositories.  The default versions of PHP and MariaDB/MySQL installed via yum, for example, are PHP 5.4.16 and MariaDB 5.5 -- AtoM (2.4) requires PHP 5.5 (and prefers 7.x) and MariaDB 5.1 (prefers 5.6+).

To get the necessary version of packages, you’ll need to use (at the very least) the Red Hat Software Collections (RHSCL) repositories and the EPEL repository.  Even then, we ran into issues.  I don’t recall precisely what they were as I didn’t attempt the RHEL setup. After 2 days of struggling, another programmer here gave up and handed AtoM off to me.  I opted to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS instead (as per the Artefactual docs), and had AtoM up and running in about 30 minutes.

We are a Red Hat shop here, except for our AtoM servers. Using apt and ufw instead of yum and firewalld is a bit of a struggle, but I’m slowly getting used to them. Otherwise the 2 flavors of Linux are similar enough that they don’t cause us any support issues.

- Darryl

Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst    Darryl....@usask.ca

Library Systems & Information Technology,    http://library.usask.ca/

University of Saskatchewan Library

Elizabeth Thomson

Jun 16, 2017, 5:06:18 PM6/16/17
to AtoM Users
Hi Darrel,
Many thanks for your reply. This will be very useful to us!
regards,

On Thursday, 15 June 2017 11:26:10 UTC-4, Darryl Friesen wrote:

[...]

"Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes"

I'm wondering if anyone in this group is running AtoM on RHEL 7?   Was it straightforward to set up?  Have you noticed any issues at all?

Many thanks for any info folks may be willing to share!

Dan Gillean

Jun 19, 2017, 10:45:42 AM6/19/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Elizabeth,

In responding to another recent user post about an error when using RedHat, I remembered that a previous user had posted a quick guide as to how they got AtoM working using RHEL 7.1. We haven't tested these instructions, but hopefully they might be of use to you. You can find a link in my response here:

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.