Saskatchewan Archival Information Network upgraded to AtoM 2

Hutchinson, Tim

May 17, 2017, 7:39:25 PM5/17/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Dear colleagues,

I’m pleased to share the news that the Saskatchewan Archival Information Network (SAIN) has been relaunched with an upgrade to AtoM 2.x. The URLs have not changed:

http://sain.scaa.sk.ca/collections/

http://sain.scaa.sk.ca/items/

For those interested in some under-the-hood details, I’ll just highlight a couple things…

We are a bit late to the AtoM 2 party, but have been working to ensure that a number of local customizations were brought forward. All of these are now part of the public AtoM code, with the last one to be released in the forthcoming AtoM 2.4. This is the feature I’ve been calling “virtual institutional databases”. Or institutional scoping. For example, starting here:

http://sain.scaa.sk.ca/collections/university-of-saskatchewan-archives

you can search within this archives, or browse for descriptions and digital objects. The search results and description pages maintain the institutional theming and search/browse block, until the user performs a global search or clears the institutional facet tag. This is what we use at U of S for our institutional database - not just as a contributor to SAIN.

This feature was mostly developed by one of our developers at the University of Saskatchewan Library, and then completed by Artefactual with funding from the U of S and the Saskatchewan Council for Archives and Archivists. Thanks to everyone involved!

The other thing I’ll mention is the custom theme. This was created by one of our developers within days of returning from AtoM Camp SFU, building on the default Dominion theme. Beyond integrating design elements of the new SCAA website, the responsiveness has been improved a bit compared to the default theme - mainly achieved, as I understand, by moving the browse and search elements out of the block with icons for language, bookmark etc. We also contributed a fix to a bug that was preventing the facets from displaying via mobile.

Tim

Tim Hutchinson
Head, University Archives & Special Collections
University Library, University of Saskatchewan

Room 301 Murray Library, 3 Campus Dr.

Saskatoon, SK S7N 5A4

Tel: (306) 966-6028  Fax: (306) 966-6040

Email: tim.hut...@usask.ca

Web: http://library.usask.ca/archives/

Dan Gillean

May 18, 2017, 11:31:04 AM5/18/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Congratulations on successful upgrade and relaunch, Tim!

Thank you so much for sharing this. I've updated the links on our Users page so you're in the 2.x section now, added this to our Success stories page on the wiki, and I've sent out a couple of tweets to help spread the word!

For those interested in seeing the technical details of the Institutional scoping feature, the related issue ticket is #10733. We're excited this will be included in the 2.4 release!

Warm regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Tim Hutchinson

May 18, 2017, 2:02:25 PM5/18/17
to AtoM Users
Thanks Dan! It's good to see that you've linked to the final issue ticket, not the epic novel that preceded it... I've appreciated your support and many discussions over the last few years that have helped us get to this point.

Tim