Failed install AtoM on Docker

jatnikonm

May 3, 2018, 4:00:13 AM5/3/18
to AtoM Users
I have tried install AtoM on Docker but stuck on:

+ apk add --no-cache --virtual .phpext-builddeps gettext-dev libmcrypt-dev libxslt-dev zlib-dev libmemcached-dev autoconf build-base
fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.4/main/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz

what's the problem?

Dan Gillean

May 3, 2018, 10:36:08 AM5/3/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

Can you provide us with a bit more information? What is your host system environment (aka, what type of computer are you installing this on)? Were you following these instructions?
Or were you trying to manually install AtoM in Docker, or using someone else's Docker instructions?

How exactly does it get stuck - does it just time out and do nothing, or throw an error?  Were there any specific error messages in the command-line that you can share with us?

Hopefully with a bit more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

jatnikonm

May 4, 2018, 10:41:57 PM5/4/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
install on:
Computer: Virtual Machine
OS: Ubuntu 16.04

yes i've followed the instructions on

https://www.accesstomemory.org/docs/latest/dev-manual/env/compose/

I think the problem lies in the alpine repository (php:7.0-fpm-alpine) how to change or add other mirror for this image?

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 4:00 AM, jatnikonm <jatn...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have tried install AtoM on Docker but stuck on:

+ apk add --no-cache --virtual .phpext-builddeps gettext-dev libmcrypt-dev libxslt-dev zlib-dev libmemcached-dev autoconf build-base
fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.4/main/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz

what's the problem?

Dan Gillean

May 8, 2018, 11:34:23 AM5/8/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi again,

Any other information? What is the host environment (aka what are you trying to install this on)? I think that in Windows environments you now need Hyper-V for Docker to work, which is not included in Windows 10 Home editions.

You might also want to try again - we've just pushed some new fixes for Docker to our code repository, though I'm not sure if they will help your particular issue or not.

I have tried manually following the link to the Alpine tarball and it works, so you may want to double-check the filesystem permissions in your environment. You could also try running apk update and apk upgrade to see if it updates missing dependencies?

Finally, it appears there is a list of Alpine mirrors here: https://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/alpine-mirrors/mirrors.yaml

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

jatnikonm

May 9, 2018, 2:48:27 AM5/9/18
to AtoM Users
references: https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/docs/2.4/dev-manual/env/compose/#dev-env-compose

I tried on two environments:
1. vm (ubuntu) running on openstack
2. using docker for windows

after finishing this command:
docker-compose exec atom php symfony tools: purge --demo

I get an error:
ERROR: No container found for atom_1

raddao...@gmail.com

May 9, 2018, 4:25:08 AM5/9/18
to AtoM Users
Hi,

I've been using the Docker environment for a while in Ubuntu (14.04 and 16.04) without that problem. But it looks like the Docker engine requires a different configuration in Openstack, using Nova-Docker:

I don't have a way to test this but I'll give it a try over Windows 10 and I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards.

raddao...@gmail.com

May 9, 2018, 9:32:52 AM5/9/18
to AtoM Users
Hi again,

I've tried on Windows and the `atom` and `atom_worker` services were exiting with status code of 127 (usually command not found in Bash). In my case it was a problem with line endings. The `docker/bootstrap.php` and `docker/entrypoint.sh` files are copied and executed inside both containers when they're built and, if their line endings have been changed from LF to CRLF in Windows, they will fail when executed in a Linux environment.

It's possible that the line endings are being converted automatically by Git while cloning the repository. If that's the case, I'd suggest setting `core.autocrlf` to `false` in the Git configuration and to handle that with the text editor.

If that is your case too, after changing the line endings of those two files, try running:

docker-compose up -d --build --force-recreate

Check that the `atom` service is still running with:

docker-compose ps

Please, let us know if that works.

Regards.

Ricardo Pinho

May 10, 2018, 4:31:41 AM5/10/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi José,
I've been using the Docker environment for a while in Ubuntu (14.04 and 16.04) without that problem.
That's fantastic news!
Based on your experience, do you recommend using docker (on 16.04) for an AtoM  production environment?
What advice can you give to guys like me that want to do it today?
Thanks
Ricardo Pinho

Ricardo Pinho

José Raddaoui

May 10, 2018, 5:25:49 AM5/10/18
to AtoM Users
Hi Ricardo,

To be fair, I only use it for development purposes so I'm not an expert on this matter and this is a hard topic. That being said, changing how the volumes are handled in `docker-composer.dev.yml`, taking good care of the environment configuration and the logs, it could be an option. But probably there are more security issues to take in consideration.

And taking a look at other tools used to deploy containerized applications:

Best regards.

Ricardo Pinho

jatnikonm

May 10, 2018, 2:02:35 PM5/10/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi José

Thank you for the time and advice, I have successfully run the AtoM in ubuntu (using Hyper-V) but still not successful running on the docker in windows, but it has proven the AtoM successfully run on the docker. My final goal is to prove that multiple AtoM can run on openshift (https://www.openshift.com) for production needs, maybe you have experience on how to run AtoM in openshift?

raddao...@gmail.com

May 10, 2018, 2:41:16 PM5/10/18
to AtoM Users
Hi again,

Glad you made it work ;)

And sorry, no experience at all with OpenShift.

Regards.