Limit translation permissions

ma.s...@gmail.com

May 30, 2018, 7:14:23 AM5/30/18
to AtoM Users
Hello, I've created a custom users group that should have permissions to access and edit only certain fonds of an Archival Institution. As our site is in 3 different languages, this group should be able to translate the info of this fonds. The problem is that if I grant the group Translation permissions the users in the group can Edit other fonds as well. Is there a way to limit the translation permissions only to a specific group of fonds or institutions?

It seems it should be easy to do, maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Dan Gillean

May 30, 2018, 4:35:10 PM5/30/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Miquel,

I think you've identified a bug. I've done some quick testing, and can confirm I'm having the same issues you are - see:
It appears to me that there are 2 main conflicts:

If you add specific languages allowed for translation to a user, then these permissions seem to override everything else  -  for example, if I give a user permission to translate in French, then they can edit any record while in the French interface, regardless of how I modify the archival description permissions in both the user and the group.

However, if you modify a user without giving them translation permissions in a specific language, then they work - only, they will ONLY work in the default installation culture, and not in any secondary language (like French in my tests).

AtoM's permissions module is supposed to work on an inheritance model - so custom group permissions will override default/inherited ones, and custom user permissions will override group permissions. In this case, it seems to me like a bug, because the user permissions should override/restrict the translation permissions that are given by adding French as a language of translation.

In some ways, I am not surprised, however. As I have previously noted in this forum many times, the permissions module in AtoM has not seen significant development or maintenance work since its creation in version 1.2, and is currently one of the biggest bottlenecks in AtoM. We would love to overhaul it! However as always, it promises to be a pretty big project to do so, and it's more difficult to find community support for maintenance work than adding new features.

I have previously written about some of the known limitations of the current permissions module here, if you are interested:
I will add this to the list of bugs for us to review during the next release. However, a) we are currently finalizing the 2.4.1 release, and I'm not sure if we'll have time to include new bug fixes, and b) because of the limitations I have described above, fixing bugs in the Permissions module is a bit like whack-a-mole. We can hopefully fix this particular case, but there is a chance it will get too complex for us to fix without community sponsorship to review more of the Permissions module.

For more about how we support, maintain, and develop AtoM, see:
If your institution might be willing to sponsor this issue so we can prioritize it and include it in an upcoming release, please feel free to contact me off-list - I can have our developers investigate to determine if this is something we can fix without having to overhaul the entire permissions module.

In the meantime, I'm not sure what workarounds are available to you - except perhaps trusting your translators not to edit the wrong descriptions. Sorry!

Best of luck,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.