Disappearing messages in the forum - how to fix

Dan Gillean

Apr 9, 2018, 11:00:43 AM4/9/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hello AtoM users!

As you may know, the AtoM User Forum currently uses Google Groups. Recently it seems that Google has increased how aggressively the spam filter operates by default on Groups. Several people (some of whom are community members who have made many previous posts in the past) are now finding their posts automatically deleted. I am able to find these posts in the Spam folder and approve them, which sends them via email delivery, but for some reason, this does not return a copy of the message to the online web view of the the forum.

Why is this happening?

Google groups is structured around the format of an email list-serv, with a web-based viewing component. Groups in Google include automatic spam filtering, which unfortunately at this time, moderators cannot control.

If your messages to the AtoM Users group being deleted, it is likely because you are posting to the group without having first joined the group as a member. Based on recent changes, it seems that Google's spam filter has become more aggressive with these kinds of posts, and is automatically flagging them as spam.

The easiest solution is to create a Google account (or use an existing account) and formally join the group.

Do I have to get a Gmail address to join the group?

No. Google provides an option to use an existing email account to create a new Google account. You can sign up for a Google account with an existing email here:
You can also link another email address to an existing Google account. See:

I only want to use the web forum. Do I have to receive email messages of forum posts if I create an account and join?

No. Once you join the group you can control your delivery options. Options include:
  • Don't send email updates
  • Send daily summaries
  • Send combined updates (25 messages per email)
  • Notify me for every new message

How do I sign up to join the AtoM user forum?

First, create your Google account if you haven't already.
There is an option on the page of the first link to use an existing Gmail account as well.

Now, navigate to the AtoM User Forum landing page:
If you are not already signed in with your Google account, do so now with the link at the top-right of the page.

Once you are signed into your Google account, you will see an option to join the group at the top of the page, next to the Group name:

Click this option.

Google will open a sign-up window. You can configure your​ display name and your email delivery preferences in this window as well:

When you are done configuring, click the "Join this group" button. That's it!

Hopefully, this will prevent your messages from being flagged as spam and deleted in the forum.

I don't want to sign up for a Google account!

​That's okay, but currently we have no other options to prevent your messages from potentially being flagged as spam.

I regularly review all messages sent to Google's spam folder, and when I find legitimate messages, I will approve and post them. Remember, they will not be visible in the web interface. We do prefer that the web interface keep a record of all messages so they can be helpful to other users with similar issues in the future, but we will still reply even if you post without signing up. However, you should expect a slightly longer delay - I usually check the Spam folder at most once a day.

Thanks everyone, and sorry for the hassle!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Iván Hernández Cazorla

Feb 25, 2020, 12:52:28 PM2/25/20
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan!

Have you though in the use of another forum system? I think there are very good options. Maybe an option might be to set up Discourse on your own servers.

I recently joined this Google group due doubts that I have with AtoM, but I admit you that I just join a Google group when there isn't another way to ask/discuss officially about something. I think it might more comfortable, interesting and powerful to use another system. Of course this is just my opinion and if it isn't change I wouldn't left to use this Google group, it is just a question about possibilities.

Thank you very much for your work on AtoM!

Regards,
Iván

Dan Gillean

Feb 26, 2020, 11:50:54 AM2/26/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Iván,

We did investigate open source options with StackExchange-like functionality in the past, and at the time, our team didn't want to take on the burden of maintaining a local solution. Additionally, there is the question of all the useful threads we've accumulated over AtoM's 11-year history - it would be very difficult to migrate those, and a great loss of information to simply lose it! At the time, we decided to stay with Google Groups for now, and instead we enabled some of the newer features we've been using, such as the ability to add tags to posts

That said, it's been several years since we revisited this decision, and we are likely to explore alternatives again in the future. We will keep Discourse in mind as a possible option - thanks!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Iván Hernández Cazorla

Mar 6, 2020, 2:06:33 PM3/6/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
I understand. Just in case it might help in a future, it seems there are scripts to migrate from Google Groups to Discourse, like this one. Although it seems a bit outdated there may be more.

Good luck!

Regards,
Iván
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com.