Absolute path to Images

Bravismore Mumanyi

Aug 9, 2017, 4:41:10 AM8/9/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear ATOM Community

I would like to build a text files with absolute path(s) to images files that fall under our Photo Collection fond (with two(2) subfonds under it).

Logic: I would like to use a batch watermarking tool to brand all the photos (already uploaded to ATOM) before I publish the collection for public view.

Thanking you in anticipation

Regards
/Bravismore

Dan Gillean

Aug 9, 2017, 6:21:26 PM8/9/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Bravismore,

It can be a bit difficult to figure out the path to the digital objects - I explain how they are stored in AtoM (essentially, it is by repository, and then by subdirectories based on parts of a checksum added to each upload) in this thread:
The easiest way to get this information would likely be to perform a CSV export of your content. You can look in the digitalObjectURI column - essentially, if you remove the base URL, then you have the path to your digital object from the root AtoM directory. So, for example, in my local Vagrant box, I exported a CSV of my descriptions. One of the images had the following path:
  • uploads/r/city-of-greater-sudbury-archives/a/1/c/a1ce9c59b96de5407ca26397cfd88faa308a1d0a81c64f67c490823f215601e5/test.jpg
The absolute path in my Vagrant box would therefore be something like:
  • /home/vagrant/atom/uploads/r/city-of-greater-sudbury-archives/a/1/c/a1ce9c59b96de5407ca26397cfd88faa308a1d0a81c64f67c490823f215601e5/test.jpg
And if you followed our recommended installation documentation, where the installation directory is /usr/share/nginx/atom, then the path would be:
  • /usr/share/nginx/atom/uploads/r/city-of-greater-sudbury-archives/a/1/c/a1ce9c59b96de5407ca26397cfd88faa308a1d0a81c64f67c490823f215601e5/test.jpg
In 2.3, you can export all descriptions from the command-line in CSV format - see:
Alternatively, you can go to the top-level record, click on the link in the right-hand sidebar to "Browse as list", and then use the CSV export of search results to get all lower-level records exported as a CSV for a particular hierarchy. See:
In 2.4, you'll be able to export directly from the Clipboard, which will make exporting a specific subset of records much easier.

Now, another thing worth mentioning: In AtoM, there is a little-known functionality that will allow you to automatically add a tiled watermark over your images as you upload them. See:
Essentially, all you need is to have a transparent PNG file named "watermark.png" in the root AtoM directory. If present, AtoM will automatically use the watermark to tile over the access display copy of the images generated. It must be, at minimum, smaller than the max reference image size as found in Admin/Settings/Global. It will not be applied to the master, or to the thumbnail - just the reference display copy. Because the reference display copy for a PDF master is a jpg image of the PDF, it works with text documents such as PDFs as well. It does not work for video derivatives. Both public and authenticated users will see the watermark.

If you run the regen-derivatives command-line task, then the watermark will be applied to all reference images when they are regenerated - so that method might save you some time! See:

Finally, it is worth mentioning that a community user developed a way to add per-institution watermarks (rather than just one global one) - we would love to see this merged into a public AtoM release, but it will require sponsorship for this to be possible. Nevertheless, the code and basic documentation is publicly available. See:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056