DFC release roadmap

Mike Conway

Dec 1, 2015, 9:36:26 AM12/1/15
to irod...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick note.  DFC has been fairly demanding this last quarter, and I'm doing a bit of catch-up now to get to a milestone.  To summarize, look forward to the following releases by the beginning of the week:

  • Jargon 4.0.2.5 - this is a very minor update to Jargon with small tweaks in response to testing and release of WebDav and REST
  • iRODS WebDav 4.0.2.5 - first production release of WebDav level 2 support with the new Milton.io enterprise keys included, in collaboration with the iRODS Consortium.  The RC1 was just announced.  This can provide easy integration of iRODS into Windows Explorer and Mac Finder with zero iRODS configuration.
  • iRODS REST 4.0.2.5 - Align version numbers with WebDav, pick up minor fixes in Jargon 4.0.2.5.  Integrate iRODS into JavaScript, or any other language that supports CURL like operations and XML or JSON processing!
  • iRODS ModeShape 4.0.2.5 - First release of a ModeShape/Infinispan connector, providing standard Java for Content Repositories (JCR) support for iRODS data grids
  • CyberDuck/iRODS integration - We anticipate a release of CyberDuck support using the new Jargon API, compatible up to iRODS 4.1.7, giving a familiar drag-and-drop interface for Mac and Windows desktops.  This effort has been spearheaded by the iPlant collaborative and DFC in collaboration with the developers of CyberDuck, and iRODS capabilities will be a part of the CyberDuck tool.

Following on, we will be doing a feature and fix release of the DFC Cloud Browser web interface, including rule editing and execution, as well as preview/document editing features based on iPlant code in Discovery Environment. (Edit spreadsheets, create and edit various doc types and rule files).  This feature development cycle is beginning now, and also includes easier packaging and deployment using Gulp, along with our first set of Selenium automated tests.

The above goes a long way towards simple, ubiquitous access to iRODS.  Since iRODS is a policy managed data grid, any of these clients provide the same policy enforcement point hooks, audit, and access controls that only iRODS can provide!

Primarily, DFC is working with the iPlant collaborative and the Odum Institute at UNC to install the iPlant Discovery Environment over the DFC grid. This is a complex undertaking, and will result in a rich experience for the research data life-cycle.  DE is composed of many services for metadata management, indexing and search, application and computation support, as well as notifications.  The intent is to adopt and integrate many of these component services across the general DataNet Federation Consortium service API.  Many threads and a good deal of work is starting to come together.  This is open source, and I'd like to invite the community to pitch in to test, contribute to, and help guide the evolution of DFC and the iRODS platform in general!  This work, as well as the amazing work on the core server and rule engine being accomplished in the iRODS Consortium, means it is a very exciting time to work in open source data management.

Cheers
MC

--
Mike Conway
Java and Integration Architect - DataNet Federation Consortium