Hypothes.is needs print stylesheet or way for authors to display & capture all annotations from a web page

Jack Dougherty

Aug 31, 2013, 9:42:53 PM8/31/13
to hypothes...@googlegroups.com
I didn't see this topic addressed in the Hypothes.is roadmap or issues tracker, so let me know if I overlooked something.

When authors who received extensive feedback on draft using a related tool (CommentPress plugin for WordPress), they desired a way to display and capture all of the page- and paragraph-level comments to assist in their revising process. Developer Christian Wach resolved this by creating a print stylesheet that placed the original text at the top, followed by threaded comments listed below and numerically matched to each paragraph. (For an example, go to http://webwriting.trincoll.edu/ideas/ and select File > Print, and view the PDF.)

To make Hypothes.is even more useful for authors who wish to save and perhaps print out all of the annotations from a web page, consider adding a print stylesheet or some other means to display and capture both the original text and notes. With the current version, if you select File > Print on a web page with feedback in Hypothes.is, the annotation sidebar is plopped directly on top of the main text, making it impossible to read and revise coherently. (Try this example.)

Dan Whaley

Sep 1, 2013, 12:10:28 PM9/1/13
to hypothes...@googlegroups.com
Jack,

Thanks for this.

I've added a new issue for "print-friendly mode for streams"

We'll be moving to make streams the dominant paradigm for viewing all sorts of annotations.  You can preview what a stream looks like by clicking on your username in the sidebar, or by clicking on a tag.

Streams will be able to be made for many views and selections of annotations, and streams will have a search bar at the top to further enable more complex combinations of filters.

So, given that you'll be able to see a stream of a given set of annotations, you'll want a print-friendly view of that stream.  That will be quite easy to do.

We appreciate the feedback and the blog post!

Jack Dougherty

Sep 2, 2013, 10:36:17 AM9/2/13
to hypothes...@googlegroups.com
Dan,
Thanks for responding to my note, and I see what you mean by viewing print-friendly "streams" of content by usernames and tags.

What's still unclear to me is whether you anticipate that H will display "streams" of all annotations from a particular page, because in the current version, this content only appears in "sidebar" mode.

When authors create pages, their primary goal is to have print-friendly (and/or easily extractable) access to all of the annotations that others have posted on their page, to assist in their revising process.

thanks
Jack

Dan Whaley

Sep 2, 2013, 12:49:18 PM9/2/13
to hypothes...@googlegroups.com
Jack,

Thanks for the further question, and apologize for the lack of clarity.

To be clear: Yes, you will be able to view a stream of all annotations from a particular page, and with additional filters as you like, according to the faceted search capability we've now launched, but which is currently only visible in the sidebar.

Imagine being able to stream (on a standalone page) annotations from any particular combination of filters, i.e. url="http://pressbookstest.trinfocafe.org/blog/2013/08/31/testing-hypothesis/" user="doughertyjack".  And then imagine a print friendly view of this stream.

I think we'll be able to get to this fairly soon.  It's something we've already imagined, and something others are asking for.  (See also Aaron's detailed post https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/hypothesis-forum/wbViiMXR8Kg )   Will be specifying this shortly in more detail.

Dan

bubbles

May 14, 2017, 6:30:26 PM5/14/17
to Hypothes.is Forum
+1 for a print page that allows me to see all the annotations for a page. ideally, i'd like to be able to print all of the highlighted text (right now if you try to print, half the highlighted text is hidden under a "more" button) and the full annotations beneath each highlight.

cheers,
bubbles