enblend build breakage with latest libpng

Greg 'groggy' Lehey

Jul 14, 2012, 10:10:26 PM7/14/12
to Hugin developers list
I've just tried to build enblend 4.0 with the latest release of
libpng. It fails:

g++46 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -I/usr/local/include -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I../../include -DVIGRA_STATIC_LIB -D_THREAD_SAFE -I/usr/local/include/OpenEXR -O2 -pipe -Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/lib/gcc46 -fno-strict-aliasing --param inline-unit-growth=60 -O2 -DNDEBUG -Wall -MT libvigra_impex_a-png.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/libvigra_impex_a-png.Tpo -c -o libvigra_impex_a-png.o `test -f 'png.cxx' || echo './'`png.cxx
png.cxx: In function 'void PngError(png_structp, png_const_charp)':
png.cxx:84:21: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'png_struct {aka struct png_struct_def}'
/usr/local/include/png.h:872:16: error: forward declaration of 'png_struct {aka struct png_struct_def}'
png.cxx: In constructor 'vigra::PngDecoderImpl::PngDecoderImpl(const string&)':
(many more such messages follow)

This seems to be a deliberate decision on the part of the authors of
libpng. At http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html there's a
notice:

Portability Note

The libpng 1.5.x series continues the evolution of the libpng API,
finally hiding the contents of the venerable and hoary png_struct
and png_info data structures inside private (i.e., non-installed)
header files. Instead of direct struct-access, applications should
be using the various png_get_xxx() and png_set_xxx() accessor
functions, which have existed for almost as long as libpng
itself. (Apps that compiled against libpng 1.4 without warnings
about deprecated features should happily compile against 1.5,
too.)

I haven't found any mention of this problem on this mailing list. The
only thing I found is
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/hugin-ptx/enblend$20png_struct|sort:date/hugin-ptx/lvPmeMxAO7w/O7ZuINL0shQJ
(is there really no way of getting a shorter link?), referring to 1.4
and the "deprecated" warnings. Has anybody done anything about this?
Otherwise I'll have a go. I don't see reverting to libpng 1.4 as a
solution.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger gr...@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.

Lukáš Jirkovský

Jul 15, 2012, 2:43:01 AM7/15/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
You can use libpng patches from Arch Linux:
https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk?h=packages/enblend-enfuse

There are both patches for 1.4 compatibility and 1.5 compatibility.

Lukas

Greg 'groggy' Lehey

Jul 15, 2012, 3:03:15 AM7/15/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, 15 July 2012 at 8:43:01 +0200, Luk?? Jirkovsk wrote:
> On 15 July 2012 04:10, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <groo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've just tried to build enblend 4.0 with the latest release of
>> libpng. It fails:

>> I haven't found any mention of this problem on this mailing list. The
>> only thing I found is
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/hugin-ptx/enblend$20png_struct|sort:date/hugin-ptx/lvPmeMxAO7w/O7ZuINL0shQJ
>> (is there really no way of getting a shorter link?), referring to 1.4
>> and the "deprecated" warnings. Has anybody done anything about this?
>> Otherwise I'll have a go. I don't see reverting to libpng 1.4 as a
>> solution.
>
> You can use libpng patches from Arch Linux:
>
> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk?h=packages/enblend-enfuse

Thanks. I don't have time to try them now, but the patch for 1.5
looks exactly like what I would expect. Is anybody working on getting
them into the enblend/enfuse repository?

> There are both patches for 1.4 compatibility and 1.5 compatibility.

Yes, I know the 1.4 patch. It's in the FreeBSD Ports Collection. I'm
surprised that this isn't in the 1.5 patch; maybe they both need to be
applied.

Lukáš Jirkovský

Jul 15, 2012, 3:16:43 AM7/15/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On 15 July 2012 09:03, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <groo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. I don't have time to try them now, but the patch for 1.5
> looks exactly like what I would expect. Is anybody working on getting
> them into the enblend/enfuse repository?

The fixes are already in the repository for more than a year, but a
new version was not released yet (IIRC because of some artifacts that
were not present with 4.0).

Lukas

Tduell

Jul 22, 2012, 1:36:27 AM7/22/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Greg,

On Sunday, July 15, 2012 5:16:43 PM UTC+10, stativ wrote:
On 15 July 2012 09:03, Greg 'groggy' Lehey  wrote:

> Thanks.  I don't have time to try them now, but the patch for 1.5
> looks exactly like what I would expect.  Is anybody working on getting
> them into the enblend/enfuse repository?

The fixes are already in the repository for more than a year, but a
new version was not released yet (IIRC because of some artifacts that
were not present with 4.0).

Have you had any joy with building enblend 4 on your x86_64 system?
I had tried to build the current source (4.1), hoping to do a bit of testing, but ran into problems using cmake, and wondered if you have been using cmake with v4.0 and how it was working for you.

Cheers,
Terry

Lukáš Jirkovský

Jul 22, 2012, 2:47:25 AM7/22/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
In case of 4.0 I'm using distribution packages (it's easier in Arch
Linux, because enblend needs to be rebuild quite often due to boost
updates), which use old-style configure. In case of the version from
mercurial it doesn't build for me right now. It uses boost::filesystem
v2 which has been removed from the newest boost (I'll port the code to
v3 ASAP). However I don't have any problems with the CMake itself.

Lukas

Lukáš Jirkovský

Jul 22, 2012, 3:00:39 AM7/22/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Oh, the support is already here. I just forgot that I added
-DBOOST_FILESYSTEM_VERSION=2 some time ago.

So no, I don't have any problems building enblend using CMake.

Lukas

Tduell

Jul 22, 2012, 8:27:05 PM7/22/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Lukas,

On Sunday, July 22, 2012 4:47:25 PM UTC+10, stativ wrote:
[snip]
In case of 4.0 I'm using distribution packages (it's easier in Arch
Linux, because enblend needs to be rebuild quite often due to boost
updates), which use old-style configure. In case of the version from
mercurial it doesn't build for me right now. It uses boost::filesystem
v2 which has been removed from the newest boost (I'll port the code to
v3 ASAP). However I don't have any problems with the CMake itself.

OK, then something might be wrong with my local copy of the Enblend source.
I'll set up a new copy and start again.

Cheers,
Terry

Greg 'groggy' Lehey

Jul 22, 2012, 3:52:29 AM7/22/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, 21 July 2012 at 22:36:27 -0700, Tduell wrote:
> Greg,
>
> On Sunday, July 15, 2012 5:16:43 PM UTC+10, stativ wrote:
>>
>> On 15 July 2012 09:03, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks. I don't have time to try them now, but the patch for 1.5
>>> looks exactly like what I would expect. Is anybody working on getting
>>> them into the enblend/enfuse repository?
>>
>> The fixes are already in the repository for more than a year, but a
>> new version was not released yet (IIRC because of some artifacts that
>> were not present with 4.0).
>>
> Have you had any joy with building enblend 4 on your x86_64 system?

Yes, it's working fine now, and it has eliminated some artefacts I saw
with enblend 3.1.

> I had tried to build the current source (4.1), hoping to do a bit of
> testing, but ran into problems using cmake, and wondered if you have
> been using cmake with v4.0 and how it was working for you.

This was 4.0, and if I understand Lukàs' messages correctly, things
have changed since then. I used GNU make, not cmake.

Lukas Jirkovsky

Jul 23, 2012, 5:29:37 AM7/23/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On 22 July 2012 09:52, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <groo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I had tried to build the current source (4.1), hoping to do a bit of
>> testing, but ran into problems using cmake, and wondered if you have
>> been using cmake with v4.0 and how it was working for you.
>
> This was 4.0, and if I understand Lukà s' messages correctly, things
> have changed since then. I used GNU make, not cmake.

No, not regarding the build system. Enblend supports both autoconf (ie
./configure && make) and CMake (ie. cmake . && make) configuration
since 4.0. You are free to choose which one you prefer.

Lukas

Bruno Postle

Jul 23, 2012, 6:19:17 PM7/23/12
to Hugin ptx
On Sun 22-Jul-2012 at 17:27 -0700, Terry Duell wrote:

>OK, then something might be wrong with my local copy of the Enblend source.
>I'll set up a new copy and start again.

enblend-enfuse from mercurial builds ok here using the autoconf
stuff.

I've put updated 4.1 snapshots for fedora in the panorama
repository: http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/bpostle/panorama/

BTW, for anyone using this repository for Hugin, it is soon going to
switch from snapshots of the gui_overhaul branch to the 2012.0
branch, i.e. the Hugin GUI will revert to the old interface, but
otherwise it should be fine.

--
Bruno