Creating 360/180 Panoramas for Google+/Picasa lightbox display

Brian Sullivan

Nov 21, 2012, 10:23:33 PM11/21/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Any information out there about creating for the Google+ lightbox (which apparently has built in display capability for 360/180 panoramas that can be created using an Android 4.2 app)?

Bruno Postle

Nov 23, 2012, 6:03:15 AM11/23/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Neat, the image itself looks like straightforward equirectangular
format, which you can produce in Hugin of course. The only question is
how do you tag an image as a panorama in Picassa/Google+ so the viewer
is enabled?

--
Bruno

Brian Sullivan

Nov 23, 2012, 10:29:02 AM11/23/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
"The only question is..." exactly.

I have been unable to get any response from Google so far but it looks like a perfect place to show panoramas.

Matthew Petroff

Nov 24, 2012, 10:27:53 PM11/24/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
It's enabled using XMP tags. Unfortunately, there's no documentation as far as I can find. I figured out how to add the required data to full equirectangular panoramas, though:

http://www.mpetroff.net/archives/2012/11/05/google-photo-spheres/

-Matthew

Geoff G8DHE

Nov 25, 2012, 7:43:08 AM11/25/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
If it helps as much detail as we have found so far, and its now built into EXIFTools as well.  Most of the parameters are about the individual images that go to make up the shot, only the basic ones regarding the equirectangular size are needed for display.  See http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php/topic,4569.0.html

Fabian Kröpelin

Nov 23, 2012, 5:30:27 AM11/23/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
> --

Seems to be a new google service.

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/contribute/index.html#mine

Android 4.2 includes a special panoramafunction

http://support.google.com/android/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1753571

Bruno Postle

Nov 25, 2012, 6:09:59 PM11/25/12
to Hugin ptx
On Sat 24-Nov-2012 at 19:27 -0800, Matthew Petroff wrote:
>It's enabled using XMP tags. Unfortunately, there's no documentation as far
>as I can find. I figured out how to add the required data to full
>equirectangular panoramas, though:
>
>http://www.mpetroff.net/archives/2012/11/05/google-photo-spheres/

That script works for me, though the Google display is a bit wobbly:
https://plus.google.com/photos/118083750463296979868/albums/5814886762107667009/5814886765963807282

Hugin already writes this info in a different format to the EXIF
comment tag, it ought to be possible to create this XMP format too
for all panoramas.

--
Bruno

Jan Martin

Nov 26, 2012, 2:43:34 AM11/26/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Please be so kind to explain how to do the following using exiftool?

# Exiv2 Google Photo Sphere command file
# -------------------------
#
# $ exiv2 -m photo-sphere.txt file ...

set Xmp.GPano.UsePanoramaViewer XmpText True
set Xmp.GPano.ProjectionType XmpText equirectangular
set Xmp.GPano.CroppedAreaImageWidthPixels XmpText 4096
set Xmp.GPano.CroppedAreaImageHeightPixels XmpText 2048
set Xmp.GPano.FullPanoWidthPixels XmpText 4096
set Xmp.GPano.FullPanoHeightPixels XmpText 2048
set Xmp.GPano.CroppedAreaLeftPixels XmpText 0
set Xmp.GPano.CroppedAreaTopPixels XmpText 0
Thanks.

Bruno Postle

Nov 26, 2012, 3:21:50 AM11/26/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 26, 2012 7:44 AM, "Jan Martin" <janm...@diy-streetview.org> wrote:

> Please be so kind to explain how to do the following using exiftool?
>
> # Exiv2 Google Photo Sphere command file
> # -------------------------
> #
>
> # $ exiv2 -m photo-sphere.txt file ...

It is an exiv2 command.

There is likely a way of doing the same with exiftool, when you figure it out can you post it here?

--
Bruno

Jan Martin

Nov 26, 2012, 3:32:57 AM11/26/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
A few observations after playing a bit this morning:

I uploaded to google+ using my PC, not Android 4.2:

- Uploaded panoramas are downscaled to 2508 x1254 pixel.
- "Download full size" refers to the downscaled panorama, not the original.
- With Firefox there is a nasty black seam where the left and right end of the pano touches. (Firefox 17 on 64 bit Ubuntu Linux). Not so with Chromium. Also happened with Bruno's pano.
   Anyone observed this too?

There seems to be no way to share with "Maps".
Anyone got any idea how to publish a hugin created panorama into Google maps?

Jan

--
Bruno

Geoff G8DHE

Nov 26, 2012, 9:47:48 AM11/26/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com, bruno...@googlemail.com
Yup provided your using Exiftool version 9.07+ then this line in a batch file works well as a droplet;

exiftool -xmp:UsePanoramaViewer=True -xmp:ProjectionType=equirectangular -"file:ImageWidth>xmp:FullPanoWidthPixels" -"file:ImageHeight>xmp:FullPanoHeightPixels" %1

The first two commands tell it to use the Viewer and its an equirectangular file, the next two copy the image size parameters of the file into the relevant GPano tags.

Geoff G8DHE

Nov 26, 2012, 10:01:11 AM11/26/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Yup getting similar results, also a "grid" appears finer than the boundary seam for the entire image.  Again using FF17 on Windows7x64.

Bruno Postle

Nov 26, 2012, 11:23:45 AM11/26/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On 26 November 2012 14:47, Geoff G8DHE <geoff....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yup provided your using Exiftool version 9.07+ then this line in a batch
> file works well as a droplet;
>
> exiftool -xmp:UsePanoramaViewer=True -xmp:ProjectionType=equirectangular -"file:ImageWidth>xmp:FullPanoWidthPixels" -"file:ImageHeight>xmp:FullPanoHeightPixels" %1

This command doesn't include the 'GPano:' prefix in the attribute
names, is this is a typo or does this version of exiftool fix
everything up?

--
Bruno

Thomas Pryds

Nov 26, 2012, 5:54:34 AM11/26/12
to hugin-ptx
2012/11/26 Thomas Pryds <tho...@pryds.eu>
Yes, I got this, too, on Brunos pano - on Firefox 16 on 64 bit Ubuntu. Both the nasty vertical one you mentioned, but also thinner vertical and horizontal ones scattered all over the pano. Nothing on Chromium.

BTW, exactly the same with Matthew's pano at https://plus.google.com/u/0/113977386325730945324/posts/LjtpLvhqcuL -- although the wobbly effect is harder to see here (if present at all) since there are no long, (almost) straight lines.

Thomas

Thomas Pryds

Nov 26, 2012, 5:17:41 AM11/26/12
to hugin-ptx
2012/11/26 Jan Martin <janm...@diy-streetview.org>
- With Firefox there is a nasty black seam where the left and right end of the pano touches. (Firefox 17 on 64 bit Ubuntu Linux). Not so with Chromium. Also happened with Bruno's pano.
   Anyone observed this too?

Yes, I got this, too, on Brunos pano - on Firefox 16 on 64 bit Ubuntu. Both the nasty vertical one you mentioned, but also thinner vertical and horizontal ones scattered all over the pano. Nothing on Chromium.

And as Bruno mentioned, quite wobbly. Both on Firefox and Chromium.

Thomas

Harry van der Wolf

Nov 27, 2012, 7:47:41 AM11/27/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
This might seem off-topic but really relates to this discussion.

I'm about to release a GUI for exiftool written in python (a python pyside gui for a perl program), which I wrote last week.
I wanted a tool to add GPS data, and do that on a set of images at once, and as there wasn't any available I wrote one myself (digikam can more or less do it (but not half as good), but I like to preprocess my photos before putting it in some photo management tool and I hate digikam).
My tool (pyExifToolGUI) can write all kind of stuff to images. If exiftool supports it, will add this functionality as well.
See (1) and (2) for the initial website text and (obligatory) screenshots. Page 3 (workflow) is not even finished yet.
I'm working on a python executable for windows as well, but the executable as such gives me some headaches (stupid windows).

I only wanted to post it when I was ready, but this topic "forces" me to "pre publish" some of it.

Harry

(1): <http://panorama.dyndns.org/index.php?lang=en&subject=pyExifToolGUI&texttag=pyExifToolGUI>
(2): <http://panorama.dyndns.org/index.php?lang=en&subject=pyExifToolGUI&texttag=screenshots>

Geoff G8DHE

Nov 27, 2012, 8:59:29 AM11/27/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Looks good Harry, keep us updated   especially when we can download it!

Geoff G8DHE

Nov 27, 2012, 9:02:57 AM11/27/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com, bruno...@googlemail.com
Exiftool looks for unique names first so doesn't need the extra Namespace info. if the tag is already unique.

Harry van der Wolf

Nov 27, 2012, 11:22:10 AM11/27/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

These are the gpano tags in exiftool

but they are only available in very new versions of exiftool. I just tested with exiftool 9.05 on windows and that versions still doesn't know these tags. On standard linux distributions exiftool is normally much older: 8.88 on latest Ubuntu 12.10.

Harry

boardhead

Nov 27, 2012, 12:01:43 PM11/27/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Harry,

This looks very nice.  Just FYI, this workflow (geotagging images with missing GPS data between other images which have GPS) may be automated to a certain degree by using exiftool to 1) create a GPX track log from the images with GPS, then 2) interpolate in the GPS track log to geotag the rest of the images.

- Phil

Harry van der Wolf

Nov 27, 2012, 12:32:28 PM11/27/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

2012/11/27 boardhead <phil....@gmail.com>

Harry,

This looks very nice.  Just FYI, this workflow (geotagging images with missing GPS data between other images which have GPS) may be automated to a certain degree by using exiftool to 1) create a GPX track log from the images with GPS, then 2) interpolate in the GPS track log to geotag the rest of the images.

- Phil

I have seen it, but it's a non-priority for me at the moment.

By the way: are you THE Phil Harvey, or is it just a coincident that you have the same first name?

Harry

Geoff G8DHE

Nov 27, 2012, 3:32:21 PM11/27/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Yup as I said earlier its version 9.07+ where Phil has added the details we know about so far.  The downloads from the site are for 9.07 currently, so no need to wait!

boardhead

Nov 28, 2012, 7:35:17 AM11/28/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:32:33 PM UTC-5, Harry van der Wolf wrote:
By the way: are you THE Phil Harvey, or is it just a coincident that you have the same first name?

That's no coincidence. :)

- Phil

Geoff G8DHE

Dec 7, 2012, 10:57:04 AM12/7/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Looks like Google have made the Spec. available here https://developers.google.com/panorama/metadata/
however some parameters that were used in the camera software don't appear in the Spec. so my guess is its a work in progress....

Brian Sullivan

Dec 7, 2012, 11:23:43 AM12/7/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
I have started a Google+ community around the subject for those that might be interested (and are Google+ visitors):

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Geoff G8DHE <geoff....@gmail.com> wrote:
Looks like Google have made the Spec. available here https://developers.google.com/panorama/metadata/
however some parameters that were used in the camera software don't appear in the Spec. so my guess is its a work in progress....

Brian Sullivan

Dec 7, 2012, 12:01:07 PM12/7/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
I have found that the Google+ display doesn't work all that well. I am not sure if it is something I am doing or a problem with their code (so far I am thinking the latter).

A panorama that as far as I can tell is stitched and assembled correctly (I ran it through Pano2VR and produced panos that appear to work correctly when exported to their HTML5 and Flash renderer) looks wonky on Google+.

The bookshelves, walls and ceiling are straight lines (and appear so in Pano2VR presented versions) but are wavy and generally just no right here.

Geoff G8DHE

Dec 7, 2012, 12:22:22 PM12/7/12
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
I've put the wavy lines down to the old Flash limitations, looks like the developers haven't been following the improvements available in the older viewers ?
More interesting is why the 15 sided display rather than Cubic or Spherical!