Zotac H67ITX-C-E up on Lion!

mosslack

Nov 9, 2011, 10:37:36 PM11/9/11
to Hackintosh Questions - Answers
So there is no question which system I am talking about I put it in the subject and started a new thread.

Apparently after talking with Peter, the problem may be that the original hdd had previous install attempts made on it. My plan is to boot up my flash drive copy of Ubuntu 10.04 and use the partitioning tool there to thoroughly clean up the drive. Once done I will try another install of Lion.

This system is working fine so far, I have full resolutions, QE/CI, just using graphics enabler. I used MultiBeast to install the EasyBeast and so there is currently no DSDT used. I did have to install a driver for the ethernet, but that was no problem. Next I will tackle the sound once I determine which audio codec is used.

Just a message from mosslack...
The Boys <+> TBIE <+> Hack List <+> Personal Blog

u c

Nov 10, 2011, 1:46:56 AM11/10/11
to hq...@googlegroups.com

Is that a realistic possibility i should be concerned about?

I have been on and off been working on my friend's computer to make it a hack (a Gigabyte H55 something) and only once that i can remember since we shifted to installing Lion has it booted on it's own. Many, many dual install attempts have been made (Win 7 and Lion/or SL) and at least eight different bootloaders have been tried so i could easily imagine that there is leftover garbage, it has simply never been a problem for me before.

I will certainly whip out my Partition Magic disc the next opportunity i get to work on his machine

faithie999

Nov 10, 2011, 6:41:53 AM11/10/11
to Hackintosh Questions - Answers
as for discovering the pedigree of various hardware devices:

maybe everybody but me has been doing this, but i'm a slow learner!

i do a quick install of windows xp on the mobo in question, and using
control panel--system--hardware--device manager i right click on the
component in question, then properties, then details

one of the many choices is device ID. that returns the manufacturer
ID and device ID. i then enter those into google, and there are a
couple of mfr/devID registry sites that give the manufacturer and
model number of the device in question.

i've also used this process to identify the type of chip in several
PCI wifi cards i have in my parts bin. if they are ralink, i have
downoaded the drivers and the "ralink utility" from ralink's site, and
i have gotten them all to work (a dlink, a linksys, two different
airlink101's). i even have an airlink101 11.n PCI card that has an
atheros chip. i entered the mfr and dev ID into the
AirPortAtheros40.kext in the IO80211Family.kext and it was immediately
recognized as an airport card. i then applied a trick i found thanks
to google that enables it as airdrop capable.

fun to reuse some old PC stuff that i thought had no further use.

ps--i first tried to determine the mfr and device ID of components
using Ubuntu Live CD. i could find info on SOME devices, but not all,
and i couldn't figure out how to get the info for installed PCI cards.

ken
On Nov 10, 1:46 am, u c <jamespoul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is that a realistic possibility i should be concerned about?
>
> I have been on and off been working on my friend's computer to make it a
> hack (a Gigabyte H55 something) and only once that i can remember since we
> d shifted to installing Lion has it booted on it's own. Many, many dual

mosslack

Nov 10, 2011, 8:34:31 AM11/10/11
to hq...@googlegroups.com
Not sure how realistic it is on other systems, but I can tell you that cleaning the drive worked on this one. After I had most everything working using another drive attached to the system, I booted up my pendrive copy of Ubuntu 10.04 and used Gparted to completely wipe the original drive. Booted back up on the attached drive and used Disk Utility to partition the now clean drive into just 2 partitions.

Cloned the Lion install over from the attached drive to the first partition of the orginal drive, install Chimera on that drive and shutdown. Removed the attachéd drive and switched the SATA cable back as it was with the original drive and restarted. It booted just fine.

mosslack

Nov 10, 2011, 8:38:20 AM11/10/11
to hq...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 10, 2011, at 6:41 AM, faithie999 wrote:

[...]

If I have a copy of Windows (whatever) installed I will use it for such purposes, but installing a fresh copy is just way too much work to me when I can stick in my pendrive copy of Ubuntu and get any info I need via lspci. I guess this is just a case of to each his own, but I'm always for the easier option. That comes from being lazy and that's me!  8^)

Ralph Green

Nov 10, 2011, 2:05:44 PM11/10/11
to hq...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 03:41 -0800, faithie999 wrote:

> ps--i first tried to determine the mfr and device ID of components
> using Ubuntu Live CD. i could find info on SOME devices, but not all,
> and i couldn't figure out how to get the info for installed PCI cards.
>
> ken

lspci is the command you need in Linux to identify PCI devices. dmesg
is sometimes also useful, but you have to wade through a bunch of
material.

Kris Tilford

Nov 10, 2011, 4:17:39 PM11/10/11
to hq...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 10, 2011, at 1:05 PM, Ralph Green wrote:

> lspci is the command you need in Linux to identify PCI devices.

You can add lspci to OS X Terminal:
<http://myhack.sojugarden.com/2009/10/lspci-installer-1-0-released/>

> dmesg is sometimes also useful, but you have to wade through a bunch
> of
> material.

IORegistry Explorer can be super useful:
<http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=93>

And DPCIManager 0.3 is also really easy and useful:
<http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=216588>

faithie999

Nov 10, 2011, 6:13:20 PM11/10/11
to Hackintosh Questions - Answers
thanks for help with easier solutions!

ken

On Nov 10, 4:17 pm, Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2011, at 1:05 PM, Ralph Green wrote:
>
> > lspci is the command you need in Linux to identify PCI devices.
> nakYou can add lspci to OS X Terminal:

mosslack

Nov 13, 2011, 9:39:49 AM11/13/11
to hq...@googlegroups.com
I have been playing around with this system, trying to determine why I cannot use the DSDT install of MultiBeast. Each time I try the system KPs and I get a reboot loop. This is with the DSDT edited by Peter. With one grabbed directly from Ubuntu, I get this error:

Memory allocation error! Addr: 0xdeadbeef, Size: 0x0, File: pci_root.c, Line: 101

This is a non recoverable error! System HALTED!!!

If the DSDT is removed completely the system boots and runs just fine.

I believe the DSDT was causing all of my problems with this system and not cleaning the hard drive prior to install as was prevously thought to be. I have been cloning installs back and forth to 2 different hard drives and both boot fine as long as there is no DSDT present in the /Extra folder.

BTW, this system boots and runs fine using only the org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in the /Extra folder. There is no /Extentions folder present at all. Whatever kext that MultiBeast installed were placed directly into the /S/L/E folder.

pete...@cruzio.com

Nov 13, 2011, 12:18:48 PM11/13/11
to hq...@googlegroups.com

> Memory allocation error! Addr: 0xdeadbeef, Size: 0x0, File: pci_root.c,
> Line: 101
>
> This is a non recoverable error! System HALTED!!!

Rather clever.

The guy was using only hexadecimal digits to spell a word ...

DEADBEEF

... which uses only the upper hexadecimal digits: A, B, C, D, E and F,
which represent decimal values 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15.

Decades ago, we did the same, usually DEADDEAD.

> BTW, this system boots and runs fine using only the
> org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in the /Extra folder. There is
> no /Extentions folder present at all. Whatever kext that MultiBeast
> installed were placed directly into the /S/L/E folder.

Just as I mentioned in my immediately preceding e-mail.

mosslack

Nov 13, 2011, 9:51:29 PM11/13/11
to hq...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 13, 2011, at 12:18 PM, pete...@cruzio.com wrote:

Memory allocation error! Addr: 0xdeadbeef, Size: 0x0, File: pci_root.c,
Line: 101

This is a non recoverable error! System HALTED!!!

Rather clever.

The guy was using only hexadecimal digits to spell a word ...

DEADBEEF

... which uses only the upper hexadecimal digits: A, B, C, D, E and F,
which represent decimal values 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15.

Decades ago, we did the same, usually DEADDEAD.

Turns out this was due to a bad DSDT from Ubuntu, basically just a zero byte file.

I have since booted up the system and used DSDTSE to extract the raw DSDT. Sent that to Peter who worked his magic on it and now I have it booting just fine with the DSDT installed as it should be.

BTW, this system boots and runs fine using only the
org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in the /Extra folder. There is
no /Extentions folder present at all. Whatever kext that MultiBeast
installed were placed directly into the /S/L/E folder.

Just as I mentioned in my immediately preceding e-mail.

Found that MultiBeast was not installing enough kext for the DSDT install. FakeSMC was the only one installed. Found that NullCPUPowerManagement kext was also needed and that is how I have the system setup now, using just those 2 kext. Of course the sound requires a couple of kext and the Lnx2Mac ethernet driver was required to get ethernet working.

The video (Geforce 210 - 512Mb card) performs just fine with graphics enabler set to yes, full resolutions with QE/CI both working. The system has been updated to 10.7.2 with all subsequent software updates applied.

The wifi is not recognized yet, but I plan to get that working with the DW1510 card if possible. Others have this card working in 10.7 so I should be able to also.

The one problem I am still having has to do with the mouse. Once in awhile the mouse will be dead on boot up. It has to be unplugged and then plugged back in and it works fine.