Updated DC7900 DSDT Available

PH

Aug 13, 2012, 11:57:44 AM8/13/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com

Although Rev. C is the latest release, I have been busy implementing improvements.

Changes and additions in Rev. E:

1) SATA ports are now correctly named: PRT0, PRT1, PRT2, PRT3 and PRT4, changed from DRV0, DRV1, PRT2, PRT3 and PRT4

2) HPET device changed to meet OS X requirements

3) RTC device changed to meet OS X requirements

4) SBUS device added to meet OS X requirements (didn't exist at all, before)

The intention of some of the above is to support native power management (not tested) ... I'm still using NullCPUPowerManagement.

PH

Aug 13, 2012, 2:01:48 PM8/13/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com

The intention of some of the above is to support native power management (not tested) ... I'm still using NullCPUPowerManagement.

I have tested the Rev. E DC7900 DSDT WITHOUT the NullCPUPowerManagement kext, namely, using the Apple-provided CPU Power Manager, and it appears to be A-OK.

The NullCPUPowerManagement kext was a consequence of the iHachintosh installation method, and I really didn't consider all the ramifications of defaulting to it.

Well, now I have ... or I believe I have.

At this particular point, my /E/E contains only FakeSMC and PXHCD and /E/L/E contains, manly, Voodoo (0.2.1).

pete...@cruzio.com

Aug 14, 2012, 4:21:04 AM8/14/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com

Tested Rev. E all day with only FakeSMC and PXHCD in /E/E.

I suspect Rev. C will also work with NullCPUPowerManagement removed as
Mosslack runs his that way.

pete...@cruzio.com

Sep 30, 2012, 11:22:04 AM9/30/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com
> Hi PH, is there any way to download this dsdt? I run Rev C on my SSF
> dc7900 and lose USB support completely.

Loss of USB support is either an issue in the BIOS or an issue in the
specification of the kexts.

I have one DC7900 CMT with no USB support at all and one DC7900 CMT with
full USB support.

The absence/presence of USB support follows the boot drive, so I must
conclude it is a kext issue.

On the one DC7900 CMT with no USB at all, there was no USB in the primary
partition after applying a Chameleon update, but the backup partition
still had USB.

After updating the backup partition with a Chameleon update, the backup
partition lost its USB support.

So, I have to conclude that it is something in /S/L/E and not Chameleon
per se.

2012-08-25 - hp:Compaq DC7900 CMT DSDT - Rev. F - dsdt.aml.zip

mosslack

Sep 30, 2012, 11:23:24 AM9/30/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 30, 2012, at 11:03 AM, everett wrote:

Hi PH, is there any way to download this dsdt? I run Rev C on my SSF dc7900 and lose USB support completely.

Rev F has been posted on the HQ-A Google docs and is available here:

HTH

From the main system of mosslack...
______________________________
Alt-OS <+> GG <+> TBIE <+> Hack List

everett

Sep 30, 2012, 12:22:41 PM9/30/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the quick reply! When I install mountain lion and boot using iBoot without MultiBeast, I have full usb support. But as soon as I run MultiBeast with just the DSDT, no other kexts selected, I lose usb. I am starting to think it is a MultiBeast installer problem? I am using 5.0.2.

I am running the latest BIOS revision for the DC7900 SFF. Is the latest the best to use?

pete...@cruzio.com

Sep 30, 2012, 12:38:38 PM9/30/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com

> Thanks for the quick reply! When I install mountain lion and boot using
> iBoot without MultiBeast, I have full usb support. But as soon as I run
> MultiBeast with just the DSDT, no other kexts selected, I lose usb. I am
> starting to think it is a MultiBeast installer problem? I am using 5.0.2.

My USB troubles are also related to 5.0.2

When MultiBeast for Mountain Lion (the earlier one) was used, USB was not
lost.

When MultiBeast for Mountain Lion (5.0.2) was used, USB was lost.

I'm sure there is a work-around, but I haven't found it yet.

The troubles are in /S/L/E, I am pretty sure, as I have one machine with
an unusable main partition (5.0.2) but a fully usable backup partition
(5.0.0).

> I am running the latest BIOS revision for the DC7900 SFF. Is the latest
> the best to use?

Rev. F for both the DC7800 and DC7900 (separate DSDTs as these are indeed
separate models ... Q35/ICH9-D0 for the DC7800 and Q45/ICH10-D0 for the
DC7900) is the best to use.

Rev. C is OK, but not all the fixes are in that version.

Rev. F makes the machines look as close to a real MacPro as it is possible
to accomplish.

I call all of mine a MacPro 3,1.

pete...@cruzio.com

Sep 30, 2012, 12:43:42 PM9/30/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com

FWIW, it is necessary to install ...

_OverrideNVDANV50Hal.kext

... and ...

_OverrideNVDAResman.kext

... in order to cover all variations of the nVidia 8400GS.

With those overrides installed, I can install ANY version of an 8400GS and
have it work immediately.

That includes DDR2 as well as DDR3 and no-HDMI as well as HDMI, and
everything work as is expected and required.

I believe these overrides are intended for Mountain Lion, only.

mosslack

Oct 6, 2012, 3:10:21 PM10/6/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com

On Oct 6, 2012, at 2:58 PM, Michael Wing wrote:

Hi,

I have a DC7900 and I'm seeing the same problems with MultiBeast 5.0.2.

I can install OS X 10.8.0, update to 10.8.1 then 10.8.2, all without using MultiBeast, and everything but the sound works.  I can add Voodoo 2.1 from MultiBeast without choosing any other options, and then everything works great.

As long as I boot off the Unibeast USB drive, it continues to function perfectly.  But, as soon as I use MultiBeast 5.0.2 and choose EasyBeast, UserDSDT (with either the Rev C or Rev F in this thread), or with DSDT-Free, it breaks the USB and sound on the installation.

After that, even if I boot using the Unibeast USB and not from the hard drive itself, the problems persist.

It seems that MultiBeast 5.0.2 is breaking the installation.  I've tried modifying the DSDT patch to fix the "unable to get filterInterrupEventSource" error by specifying additional IRQNoFlags interrupts, but it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Is there any issue with continuing to use Unibeast to boot the system?

What are the advantages to using the DSDT, which I can only seem to apply using MultiBeast?  If I were to manually place it in /Extra, would it get applied by Chimera?

Does anyone have a link to MultiBeast 5.0.0 that I've read doesn't cause issues with USB?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Michael

Unfortunately, I only wrote the guide and submitted it for Peter's approval, so I can't be of much help. Hopefully Peter can shed some light on this problem.

PH

Oct 6, 2012, 4:15:30 PM10/6/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com

"It seems that MultiBeast 5.0.2 is breaking the installation."

Yes, that has been my experience as well.

The DC7800 SFF/CMT DSDT (these are identical) and the DC7900 SFF/CMT DSDT (these are identical, too, but somewhat different from the DC7800 DSDT) are about as Mac-like and as flawless as Hackintoshing gets.

My hp/Compaqs are running Lion on DC7800s and Mountain Lion on DC7900s.

The differences are these: the DC7800 needs a special kext plug-in to make the basically IDE-like SATA system appear as a SATA system with ACHI, whereas the DC7900 has ACHI built into the BIOS.

It is conceivable that that kext plug-in may work on Mountain Lion, but I have not tested it.

The Q35/ICH9-D0 DC7800s may be "value" machines, but the Q45/ICH10-D0 DC7900s are "go to" machines. The DC7900s also have specific BIOS and hardware support for eSATA, although you will need an inexpensive eSATA cable kit from China/HK.

Michael Wing

Oct 6, 2012, 4:25:26 PM10/6/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, October 6, 2012 3:15:30 PM UTC-5, PH wrote:

"It seems that MultiBeast 5.0.2 is breaking the installation."

Yes, that has been my experience as well.

Are you using MultiBeast to apply your DSDT to the system?  If not, how are you booting your DC7900's  How are you applying your DSDT?  Is it even necessary on that system since they're so "Mac-like"?  What are the advantages of using it?

pete...@cruzio.com

Oct 6, 2012, 4:45:58 PM10/6/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com

> Are you using MultiBeast to apply your DSDT to the system? If not, how
> are
> you booting your DC7900's How are you applying your DSDT? Is it even
> necessary on that system since they're so "Mac-like"? What are the
> advantages of using it?

I used the iHackintosh method to install Mountain Lion on my DC7900 CMT
(both of them). The iHackintosh method builds a USB flash drive which can
install Mountain Lion. Alas, iHackintosh does not provide a "post
installation" application, but the iHackintosh flash drive may be used as
a "helper", just as you would with, say, UniBeast, to get the
just-installed OS X system to boot into the Desktop, after which you may
use, say, MultiBeast to install the boot loader.

It is the DSDT itself which is responsible for making the DC7900 appear to
be "Mac like".

Essentially, hp/Compaq designed the DC7900 (and the DC7800 which preceded
it) to work well with Windows, and it does, indeed, do that. These are
Windows-like DSDTs.

However, there are quite a few devices which are not named as OS X expects
these to be. Also, the handling of certain interrupts are not handled as
OS X expects these to be.

My DSDT, then, accomplishes renaming quite a few devices so that these are
seen as native OS X devices, and also certain interrupts are handled in an
OS X manner.

These are a LOT of changes, and Rev. C was the first version to work quite
well with OS X.

Between Rev. C and Rev. F were a lot of little changes, mostly in the
interrupt area. Also, supplying individual "scratch" areas to roughly a
dozen, give or take, devices, rather than using a single "scratch" area.

The DC7800 and DC7900 DSDTs are significantly larger than most Award or
even AMI BIOS DSDTs as hp/Compaq put a lot of extra checking in its DSDT.
You may see the results of those checks as BIOS messages after adding or
deleting a physical device, such as a hard drive or a video card.

Michael Wing

Oct 6, 2012, 4:51:36 PM10/6/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com

Alas, iHackintosh does not provide a "post
installation" application, but the iHackintosh flash drive may be used as
a "helper", just as you would with, say, UniBeast, to get the
just-installed OS X system to boot into the Desktop, after which you may
use, say, MultiBeast to install the boot loader.

So since MultiBeast breaks your installation like mine, are you continuing to boot your systems using this iHackintosh flash drive?  Just curious.

It is the DSDT itself which is responsible for making the DC7900 appear to
be "Mac like".

Thank you, that was a great explanation.  How are you applying it to your system without MultiBeast?  Are you putting it in /Extra and telling Chimera/Chameleon about it somehow?

mosslack

Oct 6, 2012, 5:09:08 PM10/6/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com
/Extra is the default location for the DSDT.aml file using Chameleon. Chimera is just a branch of the Chameleon boot loader. It has been my experience in the past that Chameleon will also use a DSDT.aml file located in the root directory of the hard drive, but I can't say that for certain.

pete...@cruzio.com

Oct 6, 2012, 5:47:43 PM10/6/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com

>> Alas, iHackintosh does not provide a "post
>> installation" application, but the iHackintosh flash drive may be used
>> as
>> a "helper", just as you would with, say, UniBeast, to get the
>> just-installed OS X system to boot into the Desktop, after which you may
>> use, say, MultiBeast to install the boot loader.
>>

> So since MultiBeast breaks your installation like mine, are you continuing
> to boot your systems using this iHackintosh flash drive? Just curious.

I believe I used a pre-5.0.2 version of MultiBeast For Lion to install
Chameleon, as I was using a "developer" version of Mountain Lion, as I am
an Apple Developer.

However, remember that I was making my machines for Mountain Lion BEFORE
tonymacx86's self-imposed "non-disclosure agreement" vis a vis Mountain
Lion had expired. Perhaps several weeks before, in fact.

But, I was using the very same version of Mountain Lion that, some time
later, EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE, including tonymacx86, was able to get from
the Apple Store.

I can see that my hard drive also has MultiBeast for Lion 4.6.1 on it, and
I may have used portions of that earlier MultiBeast to install Hackintosh
functionality to my Mountain Lion systems. Frankly, I cannot now remember.

One thing is certain, my DC7900 systems have NEVER run anything except
Mountain Lion.

Another thing is certain, my DC7800 SFF system has never run anything
except Lion.

Now, I DO HAVE a DC7800 CMT which was converted to a DC7900 through the
exchange of its motherboard. THAT CMT MAY HAVE run Lion when operating as
a DC7800 CMT ... frankly, at this point I cannot remember ... BUT, when it
was converted to a DC7900 CMT is was definitely, and it still is, running
Mountain Lion.

> It is the DSDT itself which is responsible for making the DC7900 appear to
>> be "Mac like".
>>

> Thank you, that was a great explanation. How are you applying it to your
> system without MultiBeast? Are you putting it in /Extra and telling
> Chimera/Chameleon about it somehow?

You know, sometimes I feel I have to resort to "spoon feeding" OS X.

I am NOT above creating my own /Extra folders, and then moving, by hand,
the DSDT into the root of that folder, and also creating an
/Extra/Extensions folder and moving the VERY FEW kexts which I believe are
necessary.

tonymacx86 has basically abandoned the entire concept of a
pristine/"virgin" /System/Library/Extensions folder (with ALL the
over-riding kexts in /E/E), yet the /E folder is still necessary for the
boot loader.

Frankly, I wish tonymacx86 would get his f-ing head screwed on correctly
and stop changing the course of the OSx86 "ship" when that "ship" is in
the middle of the Atlantic.

FOR THE RECORD, here is the contents of my /Extra folder on Mountain Lion:

dsdt.aml (presently Rev. F) The "final" version ... just happens to be
Rev. F ... I was working on a Rev. G, but that proved to be unnecessary
~dsdt.aml (an earlier version, presumably Rev.E)
~~dsdt.aml (an earlier version, presumably Rev.D)
~~~dsdt.aml (an earlier version, presumably Rev.C)
~~~~dsdt.aml (an earlier version, presumably Rev.B)
~~~~~dsdt.aml (an earlier version, presumably Rev.A) First production version
~~~~~~dsdt.aml (an earlier version, presumably Rev.1) Second development
version
~~~~~~~dsdt.aml (an earlier version, presumably Rev.0) First development
version

... and /Extra/Extensions

FakeSMC.kext Always required
PXHCD.kext Only necessary if a compliant USB 3.0 card is installed

(and only those)

/Modules

(Whatever the boot loader application placed there)

org.chameleon.Boot.plist
smbios.plist

(whatever the application placed there)

/Theme

"crap" which tonymacx86 placed there

Michael Wing

Oct 6, 2012, 6:23:02 PM10/6/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, October 6, 2012 4:47:45 PM UTC-5, PH wrote:

>> Alas, iHackintosh does not provide a "post
>> installation" application, but the iHackintosh flash drive may be used
>> as
>> a "helper", just as you would with, say, UniBeast, to get the
>> just-installed OS X system to boot into the Desktop, after which you may
>> use, say, MultiBeast to install the boot loader.
>>

> So since MultiBeast breaks your installation like mine, are you continuing
> to boot your systems using this iHackintosh flash drive?  Just curious.

I believe I used a pre-5.0.2 version of MultiBeast For Lion to install
Chameleon, as I was using a "developer" version of Mountain Lion, as I am
an Apple Developer.

I installed Unibeast onto a 9GB partition at the front of the drive, so I no longer need to use the USB drive to boot.  I suppose I can live with that.  I sure wish I knew why MultiBeast was breaking my installation though.

I am NOT above creating my own /Extra folders, and then moving, by hand,
the DSDT into the root of that folder

That's what I did on the Unibeast / Chimera partition, and all seems to be well.

tonymacx86 has basically abandoned the entire concept of a
pristine/"virgin" /System/Library/Extensions folder (with ALL the
over-riding kexts in /E/E), yet the /E folder is still necessary for the
boot loader.

I'm just now learning about this stuff, but it seems odd that someone would abandon the paradigm of keeping add-on "hack" files in a separate location.  You'd think there would be advantages to keeping the modifications separate.

FOR THE RECORD, here is the contents of my /Extra folder on Mountain Lion:

That makes sense.  Thanks for taking the time to modify the DSDT in the first place.

Michael Wing

Oct 7, 2012, 11:39:48 AM10/7/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, August 13, 2012 10:57:44 AM UTC-5, PH wrote:

Although Rev. C is the latest release, I have been busy implementing improvements.

PH, do you have Sleep (and Wakeup) working on your DC7900 systems?  I can get mine to sleep OK, but never wakeup.  I have to fully power-off the system.  Using the DSDT from this link, in conjunction with SleepEnabler, I can get mine to wakeup by pressing the power button.  However, the display comes back on, but the mouse and keyboard are no longer functional.  I've tried both your Rev C and Rev F DSDTs, but neither of them are working.

pete...@cruzio.com

Oct 7, 2012, 12:13:47 PM10/7/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com

> PH, do you have Sleep (and Wakeup) working on your DC7900 systems? I can
> get mine to sleep OK, but never wakeup. I have to fully power-off the
> system. Using the DSDT from this link, in conjunction with SleepEnabler,
> can get mine to wakeup by pressing the power button. However, the display
> comes back on, but the mouse and keyboard are no longer functional. I've
> tried both your Rev C and Rev F DSDTs, but neither of them are working.
>
> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/266837-lion-dsdt-sleep-fix-for-hp-dc7900/

I always set my Hacks to Sleep Never. Sleep DOES NOT WORK on Hacks, period
... in my experience, of course.

What I DID get to work in the DC7800 and DC7900 was STR, "Suspend to RAM",
in which the machine, after detecting a period of inactivity, saves the
status to RAM and then powers-down everything except RAM.

The machine may be returned to a fully operational state simply by
depressing the power button once.

The approach taken in that insanelymac article is quite different from mine.

pete...@cruzio.com

Oct 13, 2012, 9:08:43 AM10/13/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com

> I was wondering if anyone has gotten the onboard video working. It's a
> Intel GMA 4500. I have a set of driver text for the Video card but can't
> figure out which ktext to use.

It works, but only in basic mode, which is 1024 x 768 with no acceleration.

It is sufficient to install OS X and also to run Windows (in which case
there will be additional resolutions and possibly acceleration).

OS X only fully supported a very few Intel chip sets: GMA950 (and then
only in 32-bit mode, which excludes Mountain Lion) and GMAX3100 (for
laptops; GMA3100 is the desktop version, and it is not supported); also
HD3000 and possibly HD4000, but definitely NOT HD2000.

pete...@cruzio.com

Oct 13, 2012, 9:22:05 AM10/13/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com

> OS X only fully supported a very few Intel chip sets: GMA950 (and then
> only in 32-bit mode, which excludes Mountain Lion) and GMAX3100 (for
> laptops; GMA3100 is the desktop version, and it is not supported); also
> HD3000 and possibly HD4000, but definitely NOT HD2000.

I found what I believe is a 64-bit version of GMAX3100 support.

I have it running in 64-bit mode on Lion on a Toshiba Satellite laptop.

For this specific purpose, I used the iATKOS L distro to install Lion and
also the required keyboard and trackpad kexts.

Works most of the time.

Kris Tilford

Oct 13, 2012, 1:06:39 PM10/13/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com
I've got a Dell Inspiron 1525 w/X3100 which I've upgraded to 10.7.5
via iATKOS L2. It works nearly perfect. I saw two articles about
Mountain Lion, one on the 1525 said the X3100 was working but
unaccelerated for either Core Graphics or Quartz Extreme, but this
post about installing Mountian Lion on unsupported real Macs say that
the MacBooks & MacBook Airs with X3100 work "perfectly" which implies
some working X3100 64-bit support for Mountain Lion:

<http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14341245>

pete...@cruzio.com

Dec 20, 2012, 9:08:11 AM12/20/12
to hq...@googlegroups.com
> I'm trying to get your DSDT working on my dc7900. I can't compile the dsdt
> with dsdteditor and add patch for my radeon hd5450. But I can't compile
> it.
> It gives me always error with one return package command
> here is the link for the patch thing.
> http://www.osx86.net/view/3043-ati_radeon_hd5450_with_full_qe-ci_support.html
>
> Could you help me to patch this hdmi audio fix to dsdt and maybe upload a
> patched dsdt for me?
> I would really appreciate it!
>
> And how should I install the dsdt to not to brake my usb support?

Try this.
DC7900 CMT DSDT - Rev. F (ATI).zip

pete...@cruzio.com

Feb 18, 2013, 10:24:44 AM2/18/13
to hq...@googlegroups.com

> Hello I am just getting into this hackintosh stuff. Basically I can get my
> SFF dc7900 to boot into ML but I lose usb support in my keyboard and
> mouse.

I am using the following plist:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Wait</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>legacy</string>

There is also a ForceUSB kind of option available (not sure of the exact
name) in the Kernel Flags. I had to use that in one of my Hacks, not not
any of the DCs.

JR Holmes

Feb 18, 2013, 10:30:25 AM2/18/13
to hq-a
Since Mr. Solis is admittedly a new hackintosh user, you may want to specify exactly which plist you are referring to and where it it located.

mosslack

Feb 18, 2013, 10:48:24 AM2/18/13
to hq...@googlegroups.com
I found the post above from last year, it seems appropriate. Another way to know it's something in the OS X install is to boot up in another OS, such as Windows or Linux. If USB works there then the problem definitely lies with OS X.

pete...@cruzio.com

Feb 18, 2013, 11:40:29 AM2/18/13
to hq...@googlegroups.com

> Since Mr. Solis is admittedly a new hackintosh user, you may want to
> specify exactly which plist you are referring to and where it it located.

org.chameleon.Boot.plist in /Extra, on the boot drive.

mr.so...@yahoo.com

Feb 18, 2013, 9:57:15 PM2/18/13
to hq...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately I tried booting with your plist settings but usb refuses to work. I also used the usb fix option in chameleon both the usb fix and usblegacy.
Im not sure what else to try. It will only read usb when I boot off the iHackintosh usb drive and ONLY the FIRST time. Every boot after that I no longer have usb support.  The option I selected was not in kernel flags however. Are there any other possibilities, solutions, workarounds? I wouldnt count out Human Error as I am a noob. But is there anything I could have done to accidentally cause this?

Dark_Mac

Feb 18, 2013, 11:08:13 PM2/18/13
to hq...@googlegroups.com
Hi There,

Did you update the BIOS to the most current version? That might be
the problem. A noob to Hackingtosh systems as well, but a long time
PC user.

Regards,
Dark_Mac

mr.so...@yahoo.com

Feb 19, 2013, 12:25:45 AM2/19/13
to hq...@googlegroups.com
That is very likely as I did not know you had to update bios. If updating bios I have to have windows installed, correct? I was going to dual boot this system anyway, but is there anyway to update bios without windows? I suspect something in the post install of multibeast is breaking the usb. I had not tried it but I reboot without multibeast and I am able to boot from the iHackintosh usb drive as many times as I want with usb still functional but if I run multibeast no usb afterwards. You say the only thing really needed is FakeSMC.kext, correct? I will try multibeast with one setting at a time if needed. Any other notable post install programs? Can I install needed files manually?

mr.so...@yahoo.com

Feb 19, 2013, 12:28:12 AM2/19/13
to hq...@googlegroups.com
Also sorry. I keep forgetting to thank you guys for all your support, work to hack the dc7900, and quick replies. :)

mosslack

Feb 19, 2013, 12:33:53 AM2/19/13
to hq...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 19, 2013, at 12:25 AM, mr.so...@yahoo.com wrote:

That is very likely as I did not know you had to update bios. If updating bios I have to have windows installed, correct? I was going to dual boot this system anyway, but is there anyway to update bios without windows? I suspect something in the post install of multibeast is breaking the usb. I had not tried it but I reboot without multibeast and I am able to boot from the iHackintosh usb drive as many times as I want with usb still functional but if I run multibeast no usb afterwards. You say the only thing really needed is FakeSMC.kext, correct? I will try multibeast with one setting at a time if needed. Any other notable post install programs? Can I install needed files manually?

If you check the first part of this guide, it tells how to update the BIOS using just a flash drive. As this is for the DC7800, you will need to use the proper BIOS file which should be available on the HP support website.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zt8ScR3_jyv4c9drbN1LN3NJsG7JKr7EpgdYXr_lXJM/edit

pete...@cruzio.com

Feb 19, 2013, 1:42:01 AM2/19/13
to hq...@googlegroups.com

> Did you update the BIOS to the most current version? That might be
> the problem. A noob to Hackingtosh systems as well, but a long time
> PC user.

In BOTH cases, it was necessary to update to the latest BIOS in order to
get the machines (DC7800 and DC7900) to work consistently.

My DSDTs were made from dumps from the latest BIOSes.

HP has comprehensive documentation on their various models.

It is NOT difficult to download manuals, BIOS updates, and all the usual
support items.

mr.so...@yahoo.com

Feb 19, 2013, 6:23:28 AM2/19/13
to hq...@googlegroups.com
So yeah...I managed to get my dc7900 fully functioning on Mountain Lion. It would boot by itself with usb still functional. Then I accidentally fried the motherboard. But it did turn out to be something in multibeast causing the usb problem. Before the board was fried I simply ran chameleon as the post installer and manually added only the essential kexts needed and it ran smoothly. I was in the process of inserting the wifi card under the hdd when I shorted the mb(guess I should've unplugged it first(I know Im a genius)). The processor and RAM should still be good right? I ordered a usdt dc7900 MB off ebay for $30.

pete...@cruzio.com

Feb 19, 2013, 8:06:06 AM2/19/13
to hq...@googlegroups.com

> So yeah...I managed to get my dc7900 fully functioning on Mountain Lion.
> It
> would boot by itself with usb still functional. Then I accidentally fried
> the motherboard.

Fortunately, parts for DCs are available at low cost.

I started with a DC7800 SFF.

Then, I realized that the DC7800 SFF was NOT upgradable to a DC7900 SFF,
so I got a DC7800 CMT.

Lion on both DC 7800s.

Then, I got a DC7900 CMT mobo on eBay for just under $40, with "free"
shipping. All the functional parts of the DC7800 CMT were transferred to
the new (to me) DC7900 CMT.

Mountain Lion on the DC7800 CMT which had been converted to a DC 7900 CMT.

Finally, came a "brand-new" DC7900 CMT from a stash of new machines in
Redmond, WA, most probably ex-Microsoft.

Mountain Lion on that second DC7900 CMT, and it has been my main Hack ever
since.

mr.so...@yahoo.com

Feb 25, 2013, 6:29:32 PM2/25/13
to hq...@googlegroups.com
Okay. I got the motherboard and repeated all my steps so everything is functional except audio from the front. Audio from the back works. Anyone else have this issue? Also are you able to use ssd with the dc7900 usdt?

pete...@cruzio.com

Feb 25, 2013, 7:01:57 PM2/25/13
to hq...@googlegroups.com

> Okay. I got the motherboard and repeated all my steps so everything is
> functional except audio from the front. Audio from the back works. Anyone
> else have this issue?

The Sound control panel allows selection of these options:

Output: rear jack (line level) or front jack (low level)

Input: rear jack (line level) or font jack (very low level)

I am afraid the AD codec in the DC7800 and DC7900 is not a particularly
good one (not a lot of features ... not a lot of compatibility, either).

> Also are you able to use ssd with the dc7900 usdt?

Depends upon the SSD.

mr.so...@yahoo.com

Feb 25, 2013, 7:28:13 PM2/25/13
to hq...@googlegroups.com
So from my understanding both work but need to be changed in sound control. But what is the difference between low level and line level? Power output?

What SSD would you recommend? Also do you think a slimline sata to sata converter will work to replace my dvd drive with a second HDD?

pete...@cruzio.com

Feb 25, 2013, 7:40:53 PM2/25/13
to hq...@googlegroups.com

> So from my understanding both work but need to be changed in sound
> control.
> But what is the difference between low level and line level? Power output?

Line level is about 0 dbV.

Low level is about -40 dbV.

> What SSD would you recommend? Also do you think a slimline sata to sata
> converter will work to replace my dvd drive with a second HDD?

No opinion. I've not used SSDs.

There ARE converters, expensive however, which allow two "slim" (12.7mm
high, 1/2" high) devices in the same space as one "half height" (1" high)
device, designed mainly for the Mac Mini, and VERY expensive.