Win $1000 at the City Camp Hackathon!

Austen Ito

Dec 27, 2011, 11:46:20 PM12/27/11
to honolulu-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Makers - The City Camp Hackathon is coming up on January 20th and we need HI Capacity people to get involved!  Here's the scoops:

Location: McCoy Paviliion
Time: Friday January 20th 5pm-9pm - Saturday, January 21st 7am-4:30pm

Prizes:
  • 1st Place - $1000
  • 2nd Place - $750
  • 3rd Place - $500
  • Additional Prizes TBD will be awarded to winners
There aren't too many people signed up on the City Camp Hackathon Eventbrite yet. This event is important for not only the city, but for HI Capacity to show it's commitment to helping Honolulu become an even radder place to live.

If you're hesitant to sign up because you don't know what you can do, here are some ideas:
  • Forest Frizzell posted on this google group about ideas from other cities that might be applicable to Honolulu
  • Create APIs based on Honolulu's Open Data. I think creating an API for others to use on existing data is even more useful than creating an app.
  • Standup an existing project from the Code for America Github Repository, but tailor it for Honolulu. For example Reroute.it could be done in Honolulu, but the transit data needs to be scraped from Google Maps or retrieved from another map provider.
  • The City Camp Honolulu Google Group has a list of ideas that could be worked on. For example, an idea was pitched called "Trash to Treasure", which is basically like Craigslist Curb Alert. This idea doesn't require any APIs from the city and a prototype could realistically be completed in a weekend.
I think the most important thing to keep in mind is your project doesn't need to rely on data provided by the city. Anything that benefits Honolulu is fair game.

Please sign up :)

Thanks,
Austen

Austen Ito

Dec 29, 2011, 3:44:17 AM12/29/11
to honolulu-...@googlegroups.com
Here is another useful link: Hawaii Open Data Project

Austen Ito

Dec 30, 2011, 9:44:46 PM12/30/11
to honolulu-...@googlegroups.com
The official rules for the hackathon have been posted here: http://citycamphnl.govfresh.com/citycamphnl-hackathon-rules/

Jon Borgonia

Jan 3, 2012, 2:55:37 PM1/3/12
to honolulu-...@googlegroups.com
Do i have to register at this one http://cchnlhackathon.eventbrite.com/ ? or should i wait till i get on a team first (after friday) ?

Austen Ito

Jan 3, 2012, 3:25:03 PM1/3/12
to honolulu-...@googlegroups.com
You can register for the hackathon. The team forming is just to get the conversation started between peoples before the hackathon.