MapReduce, a discussion with Shu

Kyle Oba

Aug 30, 2012, 6:09:38 AM8/30/12
to honolulu-...@googlegroups.com
New OUDL Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/dynamic/events/69285422/
Thursday, Sept. 6 @ 7pm, @ The Box Jelly

Come to a discussion of MapReduce, with Shu Chen.

A short discussion of any topics from the WWW, such as the Y combinator or Mandelbrot set, may proceed MapReduce, if there is sufficient interest.

MapReduce is a programming model for processing large data sets, and the name of an implementation of the model by Google. MapReduce is typically used to do distributed computing on clusters of computers.

The model is inspired by the map and reduce functions commonly used in functional programming, although their purpose in the MapReduce framework is not the same as their original forms.

MapReduce libraries have been written in many programming languages. A popular free implementation is Apache Hadoop.

Here's Hello World in MapReduce, on Google's App Engine.

If you like Big Data, or parallel, distributed programming, or Hadoop, or technical jargon that's sure to beef up your startup elevator pitch... well, if you like any of those, except the last one, come on out!

Burt Lum

Aug 30, 2012, 11:01:54 AM8/30/12
to honolulu-...@googlegroups.com
Is there any chance of doing a Google Hangout On Air of this talk? I would love to attend but I'll be in Missouri on 9/6.

Mahalo,
Burt

Sent from my iPad

Kyle Oba

Sep 2, 2012, 3:50:23 PM9/2/12
to honolulu-...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps we can get a volunteer to stream this on UStream?  I know that some of the past talks have gone this way.

*nudge* Jason and James...

Kyle

Burt Lum

Sep 3, 2012, 12:53:51 AM9/3/12
to honolulu-...@googlegroups.com
Even better if it is on Ustream. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Burt

David Cornejo

Sep 3, 2012, 1:08:35 AM9/3/12
to honolulu-...@googlegroups.com
Is this event open to the public?

Matthew Badeau

Sep 3, 2012, 4:43:49 AM9/3/12
to honolulu-...@googlegroups.com, honolulu-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, these are OUDL events and open to the public.

(Sent from my mobile device.)
--

Message has been deleted

Kyle Oba

Sep 7, 2012, 1:11:56 AM9/7/12
to honolulu-...@googlegroups.com
We are starting a stream now on http://www.ustream.tv/hicapacity

Enjoy!

RogerI...@aol.com

Sep 7, 2012, 1:18:46 AM9/7/12
to honolulu-...@googlegroups.com
That's not working. It indicates no such page.

Kyle Oba

Sep 7, 2012, 1:23:55 AM9/7/12
to honolulu-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, here's the correct URL:

Burt Lum

Sep 12, 2012, 12:32:44 AM9/12/12
to honolulu-...@googlegroups.com
Kyle,
Was this webcast archived?

Thanks,
Burt

Kyle Oba

Sep 23, 2012, 5:46:12 AM9/23/12
to honolulu-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to Malcolm Mekaru's selfless devotion to the greater good, and all languages dynamic, OUDL videos have been published online at:
http://www.youtube.com/user/oudltv

Everyone please buy Malcolm a drink the next time you see him.

Burt Lum

Sep 23, 2012, 10:42:54 PM9/23/12
to honolulu-...@googlegroups.com
Mahalo Malcolm, you are a real trooper. I'll be the first to buy you a drink.

Burt

Sent from my iPad