New version of the Historypin site has launched

Jon Voss

Jan 20, 2012, 1:47:54 PM1/20/12
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
As you may have noticed, we went live with a new version of the Historypin site last night, and wanted to take a minute to mention some of the new features to look out for. Most of these features are re-designs rather than new functionality, and help move us toward some major functionality upgrades scheduled for the spring.

Map
Re-designed search bar

Thumbnails
Ability to switch off thumbnails for fasting loading

Clusters lists on map

New listing that you can scroll through
You can click through each one without having to return to the main list
SV man now shows on images that are overlaid
Reverse geo-location that shows addresses

Photo View

Ability to see location when you hover

Photo Lists on Profiles
SV man now shows on images that are overlaid
Reverse geo-location that shows addresses
View count for each photo

You'll also notice a tout for the Chevy page which does introduce quite a bit of new functionality, but I'll hold off from saying much more about that until next week.

We've done extensive testing of the new site prior to launch, but, as always, please let us know if you spot any issues with the site.  You can always flag issues on this list, or email histo...@wearewhatwedo.org.

Thanks!
Jon

Jon Voss
Historypin Strategic Partnerships Director

ph. 415-935-4701

We Are What We Do
London | San Francisco

www.historypin.com
www.wearewhatwedo.org

Rebekkah Abraham

Jan 20, 2012, 2:27:57 PM1/20/12
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

There have also been a couple of improvements to the design of the pinning process:

- You can add a piece of meta-data, save it and return later to add the rest instead of having to add a title, date and location all at once.
- You now stay on the same page when pinning ot the map and Street View, and use the tabs to flick between them (if the Street View Box is ticked)

Rebekkah

James Morley

Jan 20, 2012, 6:38:18 PM1/20/12
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear of further enhancements, and as I Tweeted earlier today,
there are some really lovely images and interesting people and
organisations getting involved.

I'm just testing a new upload now, so will make notes as I go along.
As with all user feedback, I'm just one person, so don't take too much
notice, until others start saying the same thing ...

- I don't like the way that the dating has changed. Firstly I think
it's rather confusing when you see the initial two tickboxes and pink
titles, and the message about needing a date and a location to appear.
I now understand what it means, but at first it wasn't obvious. Why
not put the warning at the end, *if* someone fails to select them?
- Then when I come to add a date the options to give a more precise
date show question marks, which to my mind either imply you need to
change them to fill them in, or that is you leave them it means you're
not sure. But that's not what you get when you tick the box to say
you're not sure. And when you do that, the tickbox moves. Solution:
I'd actually have a radio selector with both options displayed
permanently. And make the pink section title more generic as really
it only relates to the first option.
- this area also seems to use checkboxes for what are quite different
types of user interaction
- the two-tabbed map and street view is superb - so much easier and
intuitive! Could the toggling of the appearance of the grey tab when a
user selects the checkbox be just that bit too subtle though? My worry
would be that people check the box but then don't set a proper
alignment which results in images showing up as having been Street
Viewed when in fact they haven't.
- a very very minor and unique issue - if you check the date box and
then fill out details, then uncheck it so the fields disappear,
whatever you entered still gets stored. I'm thinking someone might
enter data and then realise that they want to re-confirm it, and think
that unchecking the box and seeing what they entered disappear might
mean it's not going to upload
- overall though the process is certainly more streamlined

Moving on to other changes ...
- I noticed earlier on someone's profile page, and now on mine, that
there are some text wrapping issues with titles that wrap to three
lines and addresses that wrap to as many as four. Combine those and
the text overlaps with the icons and links below (e.g. the views count
disapppears behind the stories icon)
- the text from the reverse geocoding seems rather excessive and oddly
worded in some cases (e.g. "134 Parade, Royal Leamington Spa,
Warwickshire County CV32 4AG, UK" but I guess there's not a lot you
can do about that.
- the Street View man is certainly clearer, but now feels rather out
of sorts with the rest of the graphic design. But that's not an
argument to change it back!
- the stats junky in me likes seeing the view count ;) Figures seems
quite low though - do all types of view count, and is this full data
since they were uploaded, or just recent counts? Maybe I'm just not
doing enough to promote my images!

The map stuff Jon mentions also sounds good but I'll test when I'm more awake.

Thanks for sending this list through, and the chance to give feedback.
It's always difficult to write anything that doesn't end up sounding
negative - I should know, I'm usually on the receiving end of these
emails - but I'm now more aware of how us fickle users always end up
taking the good stuff for granted and then picking up on the small
bits we don't like (or don't understand), however trivial they may be.

Regards,

James

PS the image I uploaded was this street scene of The Parade,
Leamington, from a c. 1880s stereoview -
http://www.historypin.com/photos/#/geo:52.289175,-1.535325/zoom:10/sv:8325102/heading:-10.01020/pitch:5.05102/sv_zoom:0.00000/

PPS when I went to that page it loaded without the overlay, which only
appeared when I moved the fader slightly. I've seem this happen
before, but thought I should mention it

Michael Daley

Jan 21, 2012, 5:01:22 AM1/21/12
to Historypin Community
Hi James,

Thank you so much for the in-depth feedback. It's really appreciated.
We obviously can't think of everything - though we do try. My comments
are in line:

On Jan 20, 11:38 pm, James Morley <ja...@jamesmorley.net> wrote:
> Great to hear of further enhancements, and as I Tweeted earlier today,
> there are some really lovely images and interesting people and
> organisations getting involved.
>
> I'm just testing a new upload now, so will make notes as I go along.
> As with all user feedback, I'm just one person, so don't take too much
> notice, until others start saying the same thing ...
>
> - I don't like the way that the dating has changed.  Firstly I think
> it's rather confusing when you see the initial two tickboxes and pink
> titles, and the message about needing a date and a location to appear.
> I now understand what it means, but at first it wasn't obvious. Why
> not put the warning at the end, *if* someone fails to select them?
> - Then when I come to add a date the options to give a more precise
> date show question marks, which to my mind either imply you need to
> change them to fill them in, or that is you leave them it means you're
> not sure.  But that's not what you get when you tick the box to say
> you're not sure. And when you do that, the tickbox moves.  Solution:
> I'd actually have a radio selector with both options displayed
> permanently.  And make the pink section title more generic as really
> it only relates to the first option.

We will have a look at this. We went back and forth, but we thought it
was more confusing to show both options at the same time. We'll re-
review it though. If anyone else has a comment, I'd love to hear it.

> - this area also seems to use checkboxes for what are quite different
> types of user interaction
> - the two-tabbed map and street view is superb - so much easier and
> intuitive! Could the toggling of the appearance of the grey tab when a
> user selects the checkbox be just that bit too subtle though? My worry
> would be that people check the box but then don't set a proper
> alignment which results in images showing up as having been Street
> Viewed when in fact they haven't.

It _shouldn't_ record the streetview unless they have clicked "record
position". So just checking it doesn't mean it's been street viewed.
If you have found this isn't the case, please tell me.

> - a very very minor and unique issue - if you check the date box and
> then fill out details, then uncheck it so the fields disappear,
> whatever you entered still gets stored. I'm thinking someone might
> enter data and then realise that they want to re-confirm it, and think
> that unchecking the box and seeing what they entered disappear might
> mean it's not going to upload

That's interesting and a good point. I'll see what we can do.

> - overall though the process is certainly more streamlined

Excellent!

> Moving on to other changes ...
> - I noticed earlier on someone's profile page, and now on mine, that
> there are some text wrapping issues with titles that wrap to three
> lines and addresses that wrap to as many as four.  Combine those and
> the text overlaps with the icons and links below (e.g. the views count
> disapppears behind the stories icon)
> - the text from the reverse geocoding seems rather excessive and oddly
> worded in some cases (e.g. "134 Parade, Royal Leamington Spa,
> Warwickshire County CV32 4AG, UK" but I guess there's not a lot you
> can do about that.

I have noticed this and actually used your profile as an example in my
bug reports. We will probably need to make the entire container taller
to accommodate. This as well as changing the title line height and
possibly font size. You are absolutely right and we have noticed this
when we set the new design on "real data"

> - the Street View man is certainly clearer, but now feels rather out
> of sorts with the rest of the graphic design.  But that's not an
> argument to change it back!

This was an argument. We've used it because it is recognisable. People
seemed to miss the fact we had street view at all - which is a major
shame considering it's a great feature. We did more "bling" here than
we normally would have.

> - the stats junky in me likes seeing the view count ;)  Figures seems
> quite low though - do all types of view count, and is this full data
> since they were uploaded, or just recent counts? Maybe I'm just not
> doing enough to promote my images!

James, again you have found an issue. I don't believe it is counting
Street View Views of images. We are remedying.

> The map stuff Jon mentions also sounds good but I'll test when I'm more awake.
>
> Thanks for sending this list through, and the chance to give feedback.
>  It's always difficult to write anything that doesn't end up sounding
> negative - I should know, I'm usually on the receiving end of these
> emails - but I'm now more aware of how us fickle users always end up
> taking the good stuff for granted and then picking up on the small
> bits we don't like (or don't understand), however trivial they may be.

But still really helpful and important. Thank you!

> Regards,
>
> James
>
> PS the image I uploaded was this street scene of The Parade,
> Leamington, from a c. 1880s stereoview -http://www.historypin.com/photos/#/geo:52.289175,-1.535325/zoom:10/sv...
>
> PPS when I went to that page it loaded without the overlay, which only
> appeared when I moved the fader slightly.  I've seem this happen
> before, but thought I should mention it

This has been a bug that has been mentioned before but really hard to
reproduce. It seems to appear mostly when it's a new user and lots of
things load in the background. Thanks to your email, I finally have an
example and have already created a bug report. I have even done a
screen flow of the issue and added it to the bug report.

All the best
Michael

kristenyt

Jan 21, 2012, 11:13:34 AM1/21/12
to Historypin Community
I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing these problems, but since
the new version went live I've noticed a bunch of bugs and other
strange things happening with my images.

For example, this one (http://www.historypin.com/photos/7187259) is
still mapped in the right location, but it's not lined up in the right
direction in Street View like it had been before. I'm not sure if
this is a Google Maps issue - they did just update the satellite
images for my town, although the Street View is the same.

I'm also seeing a lot of lag time if I'm viewing one photo but then
click on a "nearby photo" in the right menu. Sometimes it was taking
ten or more seconds to switch to a new image. Overall, the HistoryPin
experience just seems slower and rougher for me, but I'm not sure how
universal that is.

Thanks for any suggestions or help you can share!
Kristen

On Jan 20, 1:47 pm, Jon Voss <jon.v...@wearewhatwedo.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> As you may have noticed, we went live with a new version of the Historypin site last night, and wanted to take a minute to mention some of the new features to look out for. Most of these features are re-designs rather than new functionality, and help move us toward some major functionality upgrades scheduled for the spring.
>
> Map
> Re-designed search bar
>
> Thumbnails
> Ability to switch off thumbnails for fasting loading
>
> Clusters lists on map
> New listing that you can scroll through
> You can click through each one without having to return to the main list
> SV man now shows on images that are overlaid
> Reverse geo-location that shows addresses
>
> Photo View
> Ability to see location when you hover
>
> Photo Lists on Profiles
> SV man now shows on images that are overlaid
> Reverse geo-location that shows addresses
> View count for each photo
>
> You'll also notice a tout for the Chevy page which does introduce quite a bit of new functionality, but I'll hold off from saying much more about that until next week.
>
> We've done extensive testing of the new site prior to launch, but, as always, please let us know if you spot any issues with the site.  You can always flag issues on this list, or email history...@wearewhatwedo.org.

Michael Daley

Jan 21, 2012, 3:49:28 PM1/21/12
to Historypin Community
Hi Kristen,

I am responsible for the development of the site and hosting. My
apologies for the issues you're having recently. I have also noticed
some erratic performance lately, however I don't believe it's down to
the new release of the site. Doing a bit of research, I believe there
are some issues with the platform we host on at the moment. For
example, the site seems fine at the moment to me, but earlier it was
less responsive. Photos are loading within approximately 1-2 seconds.

I hope these issues will clear up by themselves soon (if they haven't
already). I'm sure it was very frustrating for you.

A minor thing that may be causing a problem. The link you provided
(http://www.historypin.com/photos/7187259) is a bit of a mystery in
itself. That actually wouldn't load anything because it doesn't have
enough information in it (I'm referring to the link itself not the
photo). If you try to explore the site following that link, I don't
believe anything would load. It is probably very difficult to
remember, but if you could tell me what you did to see that link in
your browser address bar, I would be very grateful. It might help
clarify some things so that we can address the issue.

I did find that photo from the ID with a little tinkering in the end.
Regarding the issue of the Street View alignment. I see that photo has
been "knocked off" by about 90 degrees, however other images nearby
are not affected. We haven't actually changed the display of the
Street View images in this release, so I am at a loss as to why this
might have happened.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!
Michael

Steve

Jan 22, 2012, 11:38:34 PM1/22/12
to Historypin Community
Hi everyone,

This is my first post to the Google group so I'd just like to say I've
been a big fan of Historypin from the moment I discovered it last
summer. It's great to have this forum for providing feedback and so I
thought I'd pass along my comments on the latest update.

SPEED:
Overall I like the new streamlined approach and although some users
have mentioned some performance degradation I've actually noticed the
opposite. The "home" map of Britain seems to load quicker, especially
on the sluggish network I use at work. I've demoed the website to
quite a few coworkers and in the past the "home" map has been very
slow to load (but this wasn't the case on Friday). The "show
thumbnails" checkbox is a great idea.

PINNING:
I think the pinning process is much slicker now although I do agree
with James Morley that the date checkboxes were not intuitive. I do
remember staring at both lines for a moment and trying to figure out
if the minimum pinning requirements had changed when in fact they
hadn't. A few specific comments:

* The warning message is a bit ominous and so I agree that it makes
sense only to display it if someone clicks "Save Details & Continue"
without selecting Date or Place.

* I would suggest losing the "Yes, I know approximately when this was"
text and replacing the default drop-down values with "Day", "Month",
"Year". If someone clicks "I'm not sure" then leave the checkbox and
text where it is and replace the three drop-down fields with two that
default to "Year" and "give or take 0 year".

* It's petty but I would be consistent and use "Location" rather than
"Place". It ties in nicely with the map search bar.

I think the dual tab map / streetview window works great!

MAP BAR:
The "Narrow Down" functions work much better than before. I always
had problems filtering photos by date or subject but now they seem to
work fine and so I'll be using them much more.

PROFILE PAGE:
The new photo layout is much better and I'm really pleased to see the
addition of the "View" counts. I too thought the numbers were low and
in fact some of mine are "0", but I realize you are already on top of
this fix.

As James mentioned sometimes the location information causes the text
to overflow onto the image row beneath it. Increasing the height of
the rows might be the simplest fix.

I notice that the photographs are still loaded 100 at a time but that
they now appear in a scrollable window. Have you considered loading 9
images at a time, thereby eliminating the scrollable window and
possibly speeding up load times? It's probably just as easy to use the
horizontal forward/backward arrows to page between photos as it is to
scroll down 100 images and then use the arrows to load the next 100
images. Usually I'm most interested in my latest uploads anyway and
only occasionally scroll through the entire list.

I believe that you are working on some sort of email notification
function for when someone adds a story to your photo but in the
meantime have you considered adding a "Most Active" tab? It would work
the same as "Most Popular" but sort based on the # of stories rather
than on number of views. It would save me scrolling through all my
images to see if anyone has posted feedback (I do acknowledge the
improvement of having the # of stories listed up front and not
requiring me to hover over the image).

I'll leave it there ... I have to get back to my pinning :-)

Thanks,
Steve

kristenyt

Jan 23, 2012, 2:24:49 PM1/23/12
to Historypin Community
Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for the reply! I haven't gotten to do much more playing
in the new version, but I'll let you know if I run into any other
performance problems.

Re: the URL - I'm sorry, I should have thought to test it! I got that
URL by right-clicking on the photo when it was in the "Nearby Photos"
menu and selecting "copy link address."

I also found another photo that has been "knocked off" its placement -
this one is still in the right place and the right direction, but the
zooming is all off and the proportions are distorted.
http://www.historypin.com/photos/#/geo:41.407628,-75.659851/zoom:19/sv:7231058/heading:0.00000/pitch:0.00000/sv_zoom:2.00000/

Thanks again!
Best,
Kristen

On Jan 21, 3:49 pm, Michael Daley <mike.da...@wearewhatwedo.org>

Doris Lewis Rare Book Room

Jan 23, 2012, 3:19:27 PM1/23/12
to Historypin Community
We are also having dificulty with street view alignment. The student
who is workingon or project was always able to tinker wiht the street
view until we found the correct one and saved it. We're working with
100 year old photos that don't map to current addresses any more. Now
the program brings up an address it has decided on and we can't change
the location or orientation.

What to do?
Jane

wrote:
> > >www.historypin.comwww.wearewhatwedo.org- Hide quoted text -

Michael Daley

Jan 23, 2012, 3:29:41 PM1/23/12
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Doris.

I'm sorry you are having problems. Can you send a link to one of the photos you are having a problem with so that we can try it as well to determine where the issue is?

Many thanks
Michael
--
Digital Director

We Are What We Do
71 St John Street
London
EC1M 4NJ
020 7148 7675

m: 0789 170 1820

www.wearewhatwedo.org
http://twitter.com/WeAreWhatWeDo

Michael Daley

Jan 23, 2012, 3:44:49 PM1/23/12
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kristen,

Again, massive apologies for the frustration and thank you for the feedback.

I'm not saying this is necessarily what happened, but are you certain the area hasn't been partly re-street viewed? I notice if I move to where "I" would have placed the photo, the sky goes from a clear blue sky to a grey stormy sky. We will look into it carefully, but I cannot yet determine a reason some photos would be changed while others are not. We haven't changed the display of the Street View interface. If we can identify a pattern, we will fix it.

Many thanks again
Michael
--
Digital Director

We Are What We Do
71 St John Street
London
EC1M 4NJ
020 7148 7675

Michael Daley

Jan 24, 2012, 8:20:01 AM1/24/12
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

We have just launched a minor new version to fix some of the issues.

Among other fixes we have specifically fixed some mentioned in this thread:

1) Fixed the listings so that the text doesn't overlap the icons
2) Improved the loading of photo dialogs in dense areas
3) Fixed some inconsistencies with the new filter where it was warning of a filter being set when there wasn't one

We are working now on fixing an issue where some photos don't load and views of street view not counting as a view.

Thanks
Michael

Doris Lewis Rare Book Room

Jan 24, 2012, 8:50:01 AM1/24/12
to Historypin Community
Hello Michael,
Yesterday was onn again/off again . This morning we are unable to make
the street arrows work, as happened yesterday, and although we can
zoom in and out we can't make the compass turn. Here is what our
student sent me:

Link that the google map arrows work from yesterday: (street view
link)

http://www.historypin.com/photos/#/geo:43.447586,-80.491477/zoom:20/sv:8376007/heading:97.71429/pitch:1.28571/sv_zoom:1.00000/

Link that the google map arrows do not work from yesterday: (street
view link)

http://www.historypin.com/photos/#/geo:43.4529,-80.486661/zoom:10/sv:8337019/heading:-94.683673/pitch:-10.92857142857143/sv_zoom:1/

Any help greatly appreciated
Jane