Reminder: CfP Digital Classicist Seminar Berlin 2014/15

Matteo Romanello

Jul 23, 2014, 4:26:59 AM7/23/14
[with the usual apologies for cross-posting]

Dear colleagues,

We would like to remind you that the deadline for submission of abstracts to the Digital Classicist Seminar Berlin 2014/15 is set on Friday, 01 August 2014 at midnight (CET).

We are also pleased to announce that Prof. Charlotte Roueché (King’s College London) will give the opening keynote of this year’s series on Tuesday 14 October at 18:00 cum tempore at the TOPOI Building in Dahlem.

We would be grateful if you could forward this reminder to colleagues and students who may be interested. Please refer to the original CfP below for details or visit the website: <http://de.digitalclassicist.org/berlin/cfp>.

Best wishes,
Matteo on behalf of the Organising Committee

Digital Classicist Seminar Berlin 2014/15: Call for Papers

We are pleased to announce the Call for Papers for the third series of the Digital Classicist Seminar Berlin [1]. This initiative, inspired by and connected to London’s Digital Classicist Work in Progress Seminar [2], is organised in association with the German Archaeological Institute and the Excellence Cluster TOPOI. It will run during the winter term of the academic year 2014/15.

We invite submissions on any kind of research which employs digital methods, resources or technologies in an innovative way in order to enable a better or new understanding of the ancient world. We encourage contributions not only from Classics but also from the entire field of "Altertumswissenschaften", to include the ancient world at large, such as Egypt and the Near East.

Themes may include digital editions, natural language processing, image processing and visualisation, linked data and the semantic web, open access, spatial and network analysis, serious gaming and any other digital or quantitative methods. We welcome seminar proposals addressing the application of these methods to individual projects, and particularly contributions which show how the digital component can facilitate the crossing of disciplinary boundaries and answering new research questions. Seminar content should be of interest both to classicists, ancient historians or archaeologists, as well as to information scientists and digital humanists, with an academic research agenda relevant to at least one of these fields.

Anonymised abstracts [3] of **300-500 words max.** (bibliographic references excluded) should be uploaded by **midnight (CET) on 01 August 2014** using the special submission form [4]. Although we do accept abstracts written in English as well as in German, the presentations are expected to be delivered in English (when submitting the same proposal for consideration to multiple venues, please do let us know via the submission form). The acceptance rate for the first two seminar series was of 41% (2012/13) and 31% (2014/15).

Seminars will run **fortnightly on Tuesday evenings (18:00-19:30)** from October 2014 until February 2015 and will be hosted by the Excellence Cluster TOPOI and the German Archaeological Institute, both located in Berlin-Dahlem. The full programme, including the venue of each seminar, will be finalised and announced in September. As with the previous series, the video recordings of the presentations will be published online and we endeavour to provide accommodation for the speakers and contribute towards their travel expenses. There are plans to publish papers selected from the first three series of the seminar as a special issue of the new open access publication from TOPOI [5].

[1] http://de.digitalclassicist.org/berlin/
[2] http://www.digitalclassicist.org/wip/
[3] The anonymised abstract should have all author names, institutions and references to the authors work removed. This may lead to some references having to be replaced by “Reference to authors’ work”. The abstract title and author names with affiliations are entered into the submission system in separate fields.
[4] http://de.digitalclassicist.org/berlin/submit
[5] http://journal.topoi.org/