Planning deployments and moving from test to production advice needed.

Steve McCoole

Nov 24, 2014, 11:51:21 AM11/24/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
We are trying to plan the deployment architecture and how we are going to move future updates from test to production.

For production we are planning to use the architecture in the attached diagram that we got from the Hippo website.

What I am wondering about is test.  My thought right now is that for test we would have one machine set up with virtual name based divisions for the CMS and Site portions and another machine for the test database that is configured the same as the production database machine.  Then when we are updating, freeze production, take a copy of the production database to test, make our changes and then when we redeploy the new cms.war and site.war files to production, then point production to the test database machine and the old production database machine will become the test database machine for the next release.  That should give us all our new updates I believe.

Is that the recommended way to go about the promotion from test to production?  Any advice on the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
cms_deployment.pdf

Jasper Floor

Nov 25, 2014, 6:03:18 AM11/25/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

this is certainly one way of doing this. It is similar to other workflows I have seen. One thing I would remark one though is that this also freezes our test environment which may or may not impact on your development. I think making a separate db for the new deployment makes sense but switching with the test db is certainly possible.

mvg,
Jasper

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Martijn Hodenpijl

Nov 25, 2014, 1:42:26 PM11/25/14
to hippo-community
Hi,

On our documentation site there is an article about test content  - http://www.onehippo.org/library/concepts/release-management/approaches-for-test-content.html

Kind regards,
Martijn
--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn Gijsberti Hodenpijl
Hippo Solution Architect

m.hod...@onehippo.com

--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 101 Main Street, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com