deploying code developed in on local server to production server

hari...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2016, 11:54:38 PM2/11/16
to Hippo Community
1.We make changes in hippo cms code locally.
a) Here new documents get generated .
b) Also database changes takes place.(integrated with mysql)

I want to know what steps we need  to follow while doing deployemnt on production of new changes.
Currently we copy all our database to production server and deploy new code.
We want only changes to be copied to producton db.

Thanks & Regards
hari

Wim Lustenhouwer

Feb 12, 2016, 3:44:22 AM2/12/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hari,

When you say, new documents get generated, do you mean new document types witch corresponding Java Beans, or are you talking about new documents as in new content, because that is highly unconventional.

I’m going to assume you mean the first, so having said that, let me help.

How you normally go about this is with the bootstrap function. When you make a new document type, you don’t want to delete your production database, because your all the work done on production will be lost. So what Hippo built is the hippoecm-extension. In these xml files, you can edit which files need to be loaded or reloaded on a project restart.

So lets say you have a news document, and your editors on production have been making a bunch of those.

Now let’s say you continue coding and you’ve made a new document type : EventDocument and you want those events to be coupled to the news document.

What you want to do on restart is load the new EventDocument so editors and authors can create those, and reload the news document so the new option is available.

That’s the theory, instead of explaining the technical side of things, Hippo’s pages will be a lot better help so please refer to: http://www.onehippo.org/library/concepts/content-repository/content-bootstrap.html

Good luck
Wim

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)