Best approach for integrating Hippo with AngularJS

gan...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2015, 4:58:27 AM3/4/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

First of all thank you for your help sofar, I was able to overcome the issues that I had.

I want to create a website which is an SPA using AngularJS.

So far I did detect 2 different approaches from the articles that are available on the hippo website:

As you have more insight in these can someone please summarize the pros and cons between the 2 solution or which one is the more preferred way?

Thank you.

Jeroen Reijn

Mar 4, 2015, 8:58:26 AM3/4/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Well in essence they differ in two ways and I'll try to keep it short, because there is a lot to talk about when it comes to this topic.

see my comments inline.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 10:58 AM, <gan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

First of all thank you for your help sofar, I was able to overcome the issues that I had.

I want to create a website which is an SPA using AngularJS.

So far I did detect 2 different approaches from the articles that are available on the hippo website:

This approach focusses mainly on having an AngularJS application which is dropped on a Hippo CMS / HST powered page. In essence you can use this easily and is mostly supported by the CMS. This could be useful in case of application integration or more webservice based content integration. Instead of doing it in a server side component you can do it with AngularJS straight from the frontend. In this scenario you should be able to leverage all channel manager capabilities, page composition, relevance, etc. The article further describes how to detach the deployment of the angularjs application from the CMS deployment cycle by using a proxy (apache, varnish or something else) in front of Hippo CMS.

This approach focusses mainly on creating an SPA application (standalone and outside of the CMS). All the 'editorial content' shown inside the application can then be managed inside the CMS. However page composition, relevance, etc can not really be supported by the CMS at this moment in time. With some effort on the SPA side you might also be able to provide preview / live functionalities inside the SPA, because the CMS can expose those separately.

As you have more insight in these can someone please summarize the pros and cons between the 2 solution or which one is the more preferred way?

It really depends on your requirements what would be preferred. We've had several customers in the past they chose different options. In case you would like to discuss things further or zoom in on your specific requirements please let me know. We have a very good professional services team, which have seen several implementations combining Hippo with for instance AngularJS.

Jeroen

Thank you.

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Jeroen Reijn
Hippo

Amsterdam office - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston office - 745 Atlantic Ave, Eight Floor, Boston MA 02111, United states of America.

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com

http://blog.jeroenreijn.com | @jreijn | http://about.me/jeroenreijn

Gangel Dávid

Mar 4, 2015, 9:13:34 AM3/4/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.

I guess you guys are already cooking something in the background to standardize this part in the upcoming hippo releases, or at least have some plan about closer integration with SPAs?
If that's the case can you maybe give some information for now which direction should I go for long run, to have the most compatibility with hippo?

Thank you.

Ard Schrijvers

Mar 4, 2015, 12:05:51 PM3/4/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hey Gangel,

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Gangel Dávid <gan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you.
>
> I guess you guys are already cooking something in the background to
> standardize this part in the upcoming hippo releases, or at least have some
> plan about closer integration with SPAs?

Yes, we are indeed investigating a fully SPA (not just angular but
more generic) integrated solution from our delivery tier. Our target
is that we can use the HST (the delivery tier) to serve SPA solutions
with (thus not just a separate SPA that consumes REST output from our
delivery tier), which work seamlessly with linkrewriting, within the
channel manager, and with our enterprise relevance (targeting,
experiments, trends) module.

> If that's the case can you maybe give some information for now which
> direction should I go for long run, to have the most compatibility with
> hippo?

This is at this moment still hard to say since there are different
ways to tackle this. I have some ideas but need to pair them first
with others to see if we are on the right track.

Regards Ard
Hippo Netherlands, Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hippo USA, Inc.- 745 Atlantic Ave, Eight Floor, Boston MA 02111,

Gangel Dávid

Mar 4, 2015, 12:44:59 PM3/4/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Ok, as I see then it's still in an early phase.
I have a feeling that going on with the 2nd option - creating standalone Angular app - will give me maybe less difficulty once hippo will support this out of the box and it will be time to migrate into this.

As I'm starting the whole project from zero, I have the flexibility to go with different paths, so if anyone has still some comments or suggestions I'm free to listen.

Thank you,

David Gangel