Hippo 7.9 - Missing content path in page management

Jesper

Oct 15, 2014, 7:18:15 AM10/15/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

While working in Hippo CMS 7.9 we found an issue concerning the prototype pages.

At first, to use the channel manager a root page is required. This was our first little problem.
Because we wanted to create a new fully dynamic website.
So we had to make a not dynamic root page to use the channel manager.

After creating the not dynamic root page and creating our prototype pages. We started to create dynamic pages using our prototype pages.
When creating a page using the prototype page you can fill in the page title, url and template you want to use. We are missing a really important part here.
The (relative) content path. For normal pages, this could be found under ->URL and Navigation Management / Sitemap. And looks like this:

So why do we want a (relative) content path for our new page which we generated using a prototype page?
Every page has a main part, containing the content from a "Document". Like title, intro and body for example.
All the other content on the page can be generated using the catalog items, which makes it dynamic ofcourse.
Also when you link a document to a page using the content path, a CMS user is able to "view" the page.
In the screenshot below you see the "view>English Website" button, which won't appear if their is no content path connected to the page.

So anyone recognize this problem and found a solution for this?

Jesper

PS: The locations where I expected to select the content path for the page:

Niels van Kampenhout

Oct 15, 2014, 10:43:43 AM10/15/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 4:18 AM, Jesper <jesper....@indivirtual.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While working in Hippo CMS 7.9 we found an issue concerning the prototype pages.
>
> At first, to use the channel manager a root page is required. This was our first little problem.
> Because we wanted to create a new fully dynamic website.
> So we had to make a not dynamic root page to use the channel manager.
>
> After creating the not dynamic root page and creating our prototype pages. We started to create dynamic pages using our prototype pages.
> When creating a page using the prototype page you can fill in the page title, url and template you want to use. We are missing a really important part here.
> The (relative) content path. For normal pages, this could be found under ->URL and Navigation Management / Sitemap. And looks like this:
>
> So why do we want a (relative) content path for our new page which we generated using a prototype page?
> Every page has a main part, containing the content from a "Document". Like title, intro and body for example.
> All the other content on the page can be generated using the catalog items, which makes it dynamic ofcourse.
> Also when you link a document to a page using the content path, a CMS user is able to "view" the page.
> In the screenshot below you see the "view>English Website" button, which won't appear if their is no content path connected to the page.
>
> So anyone recognize this problem and found a solution for this?
>
> Jesper
>
> PS: The locations where I expected to select the content path for the page:

I completely agree with you that the relative content page appears to
be missing, but it was really designed that way.

Personally I find the current functionality to require a lot of work
to get very little in return, and in addition there is a risk that
developers/webmasters will create pages that get the content path from
a component parameter, which means the link rewriter will not be able
to resolve links to it. I consider that bad practice.

That's why I used the good old "URL and Navigation Manager" in the new
developer trail [1]. Currently it's the only way to properly create a
new page and URL through a UI (apart from the console). It actually
works well for that use case, even though the UI is not ideal.

Perhaps Product Management can chime in with their plans to extend the
page management functionality.

Hope this helps.
Niels

[1] http://www.onehippo.org/trails/developer-trail/configure-out-of-the-box-features/configure-about-page.html

Jesper

Oct 16, 2014, 3:57:00 AM10/16/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Niels,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't really understand the following part:
there is a risk that
developers/webmasters will create pages that get the content path from
a component parameter, which means the link rewriter will not be able
to resolve links to it.
 Could you maybe give me an example?

Also, the "good old URL and Navigation Manager" cannot be used for this matter.
Because the sitemap is created in the workspace when using the page manager.
And the URL and Navigation Manager can only manage the non-workspace sitemaps[1].

Jesper

Niels van Kampenhout

Oct 16, 2014, 11:03:55 AM10/16/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:57 AM, Jesper <jesper....@indivirtual.com> wrote:
> Hi Niels,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I don't really understand the following part:
>>
>> there is a risk that
>> developers/webmasters will create pages that get the content path from
>> a component parameter, which means the link rewriter will not be able
>> to resolve links to it.

The link rewriting relies on a content item being mapped to a page
(URL). A page created through page management UI is not mapped to a
content item, so cannot be linked to. However it's possible to add a
component to that page (using the channel manager) that displays
content specified in a component parameter, but the link rewriter
won't know about it because it 'bypasses' the URL-content mapping in
the sitemap.

> Could you maybe give me an example?
>
> Also, the "good old URL and Navigation Manager" cannot be used for this
> matter.
> Because the sitemap is created in the workspace when using the page manager.
> And the URL and Navigation Manager can only manage the non-workspace
> sitemaps[1].

Indeed, you cannot mix Page Management UI and the URL and Navigation
Management UI for a particular page. What I meant was, if you want to
create a page (URL) with a content path mapped to it, you need to
create it in the URL and Navigation Management UI from the beginning.

Hope this helps.

Niels
> --
> Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about
> Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

> "Hippo Community" group.
> email to hippo-communi...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/hippo-community.

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 101 Main Street, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com

Jesper Volkers

Oct 23, 2014, 5:45:13 AM10/23/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Niels,

We do not want to use the URL and Navigation Management, but only the new page management feature.
So for now we fixed the current relative content path problem, with the following result:

We're only missing a link picker, but we hope you guys can create a nice Angular link picker :)

Also we fixed the possibility to create sub pages with the page management, at least for now.
Hope you can fix those issues soon.

Ard Schrijvers

Oct 23, 2014, 7:34:23 AM10/23/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jesper,

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 11:45 AM, Jesper Volkers
<jesper....@indivirtual.com> wrote:

> Hi Niels,
>
> We do not want to use the URL and Navigation Management, but only the new page management feature.
> So for now we fixed the current relative content path problem, with the following result:

You added an extra field to be able to type the relative content path?

> We're only missing a link picker, but we hope you guys can create a nice Angular link picker :)
>
> Also we fixed the possibility to create sub pages with the page management, at least for now.

The HST model and rest endpoints can IIRC already handle sub pages,
only the UI still needed to expose this, right?

> Hope you can fix those issues soon.

I am having a meeting this afternoon to make the page management more
complete wrt making it possible to tie a document to a newly created
sitemap item and/or adding support for documents picked from within a
component item. See my reply to Ricardo on this list yesterday wrt
this part

Regards Ard
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

Jesper Volkers

Oct 23, 2014, 7:49:10 AM10/23/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ard,

Correct, we found the rest endpoints. So all we needed to do is change some angular and html to make the fields usable.
This is what we did for both issues.

Thanks!
Jesper

Ard Schrijvers

Oct 23, 2014, 8:11:30 AM10/23/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 1:49 PM, Jesper Volkers
<jesper....@indivirtual.com> wrote:
> Hi Ard,
>
> Correct, we found the rest endpoints. So all we needed to do is change some
> angular and html to make the fields usable.
> This is what we did for both issues.

Nice job then!!! Great to see you guys finding your way into the code!

Regards Ard

Niels van Kampenhout

Oct 23, 2014, 11:04:03 AM10/23/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 2:45 AM, Jesper Volkers <jesper....@indivirtual.com> wrote:
Hi Niels,

We do not want to use the URL and Navigation Management, but only the new page management feature.
So for now we fixed the current relative content path problem, with the following result:

We're only missing a link picker, but we hope you guys can create a nice Angular link picker :)

Nice! I'm not familiar with the channel manager code but some of the dialogs (e.g. reusable component configuration dialog) use a link picker, perhaps you can reuse that code?

Niels

Leo G

Oct 30, 2014, 5:40:37 AM10/30/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
very nice feature here!
Any plan to add a similar functionality in hippo in the future?
This is what prevented me from upgrading to 7.9 for now (I don't really like that users needs two steps in different sections of the cms to create a sitemap entry and assign the content to it.

Jeroen Reijn

Oct 30, 2014, 1:36:23 PM10/30/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leo,

Thanks for this feedback. It's really valuable to is to also get this kind of feedback, so we can improve the product even more and understand better what our users (both developers and end users ) think of the product.

Cheers,

Jeroen

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Oscar Scholten

Nov 3, 2014, 11:58:13 AM11/3/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leo,

We are currently considering a few options how to best create or pick a document for each page that is added through the page management functionality. We'll keep the list posted!

Cheers, Oscar

Frederic Close

Feb 17, 2015, 9:15:31 AM2/17/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I'm currently investigating a migration to 7.9 and I came to the same conclusion as Jesper i.e. looking for a way to link a (relative) content to page generated via a prototype page.

Do you intend to include following feature in 7.9.x release or will it be for 7.10 or 10  ?

regards

Frederic

Oscar Scholten

Feb 17, 2015, 11:37:14 AM2/17/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frederic,

We are planning to include this feature in the upcoming Hippo 10 release.

Cheers, Oscar

ilja.m...@finalist.nl

Dec 13, 2016, 10:59:04 AM12/13/16
to Hippo Community

Hi guys,

any news on this improvement? Currently prototype based page is still missing content path. There is a workaround though with hst container, i.e. a prototype page contains hst container, then hst component like "simple content" can be dropped within. But this would be much better if new prototype based page could reference content.