Relating documents with links when you don't always need a link?

Steve McCoole

Oct 30, 2014, 3:02:03 PM10/30/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
If I want to relate documents together, sometimes for navigation and sometimes not, can I still access the full range of the target document's fields and not use it as a link if I don't need to navigate in that particular instance?

 I'm still trying to wrap my head around the best way to handle hierarchical document types like product class to product to product specifications.  Having read the articles on modeling and best practices for document metadata I am wary of using compound documents incorrectly and incurring performance issues.

Thanks!

Ard Schrijvers

Nov 26, 2014, 11:34:53 AM11/26/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hey Steve,

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 8:02 PM, Steve McCoole
<steve....@objectpartners.com> wrote:
> If I want to relate documents together, sometimes for navigation and
> sometimes not, can I still access the full range of the target document's
> fields and not use it as a link if I don't need to navigate in that
> particular instance?

Yes you can, for example in HST beans you can from one bean (document)
easily access the content of a linked bean via

org.hippoecm.hst.content.beans.standard.HippoBean#getLinkedBean(String
relPath, Class<T> beanMappingClass); where relpath is the node
containing the link

> I'm still trying to wrap my head around the best way to handle hierarchical
> document types like product class to product to product specifications.
> Having read the articles on modeling and best practices for document
> metadata I am wary of using compound documents incorrectly and incurring
> performance issues.

Hope you are already further, let me know if you still have modelling questions

Regards Ard

> Thanks!
>

> --
> Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about
> Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

> "Hippo Community" group.
> email to hippo-communi...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/hippo-community.

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com

Steve McCoole

Nov 26, 2014, 11:43:49 AM11/26/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ard, I have gotten this to work now.  I was trying to reference the attributes through the link variable made from the bean rather than the bean itself, not understanding that I didn't need to explicitly do anything with it to iterate over the linked documents.

I'm now on to some other things but need to investigate more before posting any questions.

Thanks again!
Steve