Bulk creation of documents without use of admin UI and without the use of REST service

manas...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2016, 7:04:10 AM2/9/16
to Hippo Community
Hi,

I want to store/update 1000 documents daily using hippo CMS.

If I was not using Hippo CMS I could have written standalone Java program to write setup data to mysql db(whoes schema I know)
or I could have written a sql script to insert data.

How to bulk create the data in cms without using admin ui and without using http post request??

because as per the following link
we need to have http request context to persist the data.

We do not want to keep the request blocked till we import 1000 documents.

Could you please suggest a way to do this using Hippo CMS, I am very new to Hippo CMS.

Thanks and Regards,
Manasi.

Jasper Floor

Feb 9, 2016, 7:14:53 AM2/9/16
to Hippo Community
Welcome!

There are many ways to achieve this depending on your usecase. In any case, you want to forget about your database, that is an implementation detail. You are talking to a JCR repository, specifically a Hippo JCR repository. So you want to leverage the API for that case.

You can actually write a standalone app that talks directly to the repository. We have documentation on that, but it only for enterprise customers as we actually want to discourage that.

You could make a job that runs nightly to this:

You could write a groovy updater script, but those are generally run manually or on startup, not as a scheduled job.

You could create a rest API and have some other process push to that api.

You could also hire a whole group of people in a country with low labor costs, but that may not be sustainable in the long term.

One thing, the page you reference is about HST components. These are delivery tier components. So they are controllers for your view, but not meant for background tasks like you want. Even if you wanted a page to start this import, you would want the task to run independent of the page for exactly the reason you mention (blocking on a 1000 uploads).

Probably even more ways, but I'll let some other clever person mention those. ;)

mvg,
Jsaper

Thanks and Regards,
Manasi.

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Oscar Scholten

Feb 9, 2016, 8:20:49 AM2/9/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

One small addition:

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Jasper Floor <j.f...@onehippo.com> wrote:
You could create a rest API and have some other process push to that api.

If you are considering to use a REST service for importing, please have a look at the example at the bottom of the following page:

The Content REST API (as introduced in 10.2) is a read-only API.

Cheers, Oscar
--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 745 Atlantic Ave, 8th Floor, MA 02111

Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
US +1 877 414 4776
www.onehippo.com | www.onehippo.org

manas...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2016, 12:39:11 AM2/10/16
to Hippo Community
Thanks Jasper and o.scholten for the reply. I will try the repository scheduler api.
Yes I want to run the upload of documents as a job.

Regards,
Manasi.