Deploying Hippo CMS

ChrisFr...@christopher.net.nz

Jul 7, 2016, 8:42:43 AM7/7/16
to Hippo Community
Hello team,

I am following your directions under: GETTING STARTED WITH HIPPO CMS. I have successfully completed step 1 and 2, namely:

Step 1: Create the ‘myhippoproject’ from the Hippo maven archetype using the command below.

Step 2: Go to your project root folder ‘myhippoproject’and build your new project.
cd myhippoproject
mvn clean verify

But before proceeding with step 3:

Step 3: Launch Hippo CMS by running the following command in ‘ myhippoproject’
mvn -Pcargo.run -Drepo.path=storage

I have a couple of questions.

(1) Seemingly Hippo comes bundled with Tomcat, and by running the command at step 3 this Tomcat will start up on port 8080. However, I don't want this. My webserver already has a Tomcat installation running on port 8080, hosting several web applications. Can I simply run the three Hippo WARs from my existing Tomcat installation?

(2) I recall reading that Hippo uses MySQL. My webserver already has MySQL running on port 3306. At what point do I configure Hippo to use my already existing installation of MySQL?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Chris.

Jasper Floor

Jul 7, 2016, 9:09:26 AM7/7/16
to Hippo Community
Using the cargo profile will not use MySql but uses Derby. You can deploy to your own tomcat. In that case you need to make a distribution[1]. You can also change the ports used to avoid the conflict [2].
You can use your MySql locally if you want. I personally don't recommend this as it make local development more difficult.

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Ate Douma

Jul 7, 2016, 10:34:55 AM7/7/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
On 2016-07-07 15:09, Jasper Floor wrote:
> Using the cargo profile will not use MySql but uses Derby. You can deploy to
> your own tomcat. In that case you need to make a distribution[1]. You can also
> change the ports used to avoid the conflict [2].
> You can use your MySql locally if you want. I personally don't recommend this as
> it make local development more difficult.
>
> [1]https://www.onehippo.org/library/development/create-a-project-distribution.html
> [2]https://www.onehippo.org/library/development/run-2-hippo-cms-instances-of-tomcat-simultaneously.html

Note: Hippo uses by default the H2 database, not Derby, for local development.
If you want to use MySQL during development, see [3].
Which isn't more difficult, just needs a few more steps for initial setup.

For running cargo with local Tomcat running on a different port, see [4],
section: "Running with Cargo on different port numbers".

Kind regards,
Ate

[3]
https://www.onehippo.org/library/development/use-mysql-in-a-development-environment.html
[4] https://www.onehippo.org/library/development/run-and-develop-with-cargo.html
> <mailto:hippo-c...@googlegroups.com>
> RSS:
> https://groups.google.com/group/hippo-community/feed/rss_v2_0_msgs.xml?num=50
> ---
> "Hippo Community" group.
> email to hippo-communi...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:hippo-community%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/hippo-community.
>

> --
> Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about
> Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

> Community" group.
> to hippo-communi...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:hippo-communi...@googlegroups.com>.
--
mailto:in...@onehippo.com http://www.onehippo.com http://www.onehippo.org
Hippo B.V. The Netherlands Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam +31 (0)20 522 4466

gulb...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2016, 8:39:47 PM7/7/16
to Hippo Community
Thanks Jasper. Actually, running two instances of Tomcat on different ports is not my intention. I simply wish to deploy Hippo to the Tomcat instance already installed on my webserver (port 8080). Therefore, your link [1] seems relevant. I would then configure Tomcat with a new <HOST> pointing to the location of the Hippo WARs, also <HOST> would list all domains Hippo would be handling. Hopefully this would work as desired.

gulb...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2016, 8:39:47 PM7/7/16
to Hippo Community
Thanks Ate. Actually, running two instances of Tomcat on different ports is not my intention. I simply wish to deploy Hippo to the Tomcat instance already installed on my webserver (port 8080). Therefore, Jasper's link [1] seems relevant. I would then configure Tomcat with a new <HOST> pointing to the location of the Hippo WARs, also <HOST> would list all domains Hippo would be handling. Hopefully this would work as desired.

Regarding database, wherever possible I try to use MySQL already running on my webserver, and not any isolated bundled database. MySQL is backed up daily, and I feel safer having all data persisted to the one database. I'm new to Hippo... when is it necessary to rebuild and redeploy Hippo? I assume once Hippo is deployed I can create and update Hippo hosted websites via some administrator front end, yes? When is rebuilding the WARs necessary?

Thanks & regards,

Chris.

Niels van Kampenhout

Jul 11, 2016, 11:27:01 AM7/11/16
to Hippo Community
Hi,

There may be some misunderstanding here. Let me try to clear it up. Working with Hippo may be a little different than what you want or expect.

In our documentation, we make a distinction between the "local development environments" and "server environments".

For development, we recommend and support using the described Cargo-based environment (with embedded Tomcat and H2) on a developer's local development machine. This is the setup you get when you follow "Getting Started". For some more background info see:

You can also get a similar development environment set up (using a standalone Tomcat instance) in Eclipse IDE:

For deployment in a server environment, there are some special requirements, like shared libraries in Tomcat. You need administrative access to your web server for this. I recommend you read the following pages and follow the links on them:

These are the scenarios we support. There are other ways to do it, and you may find a different way that works for you. However, we recommend you follow our best practices from the beginning.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Niels

ChrisFr...@christopher.net.nz

Jul 11, 2016, 7:23:47 PM7/11/16
to Hippo Community
Hi Niels,

Thank you very much for your explanation Niels.  Yes, since creating this thread I have discovered, and carefully followed, your documentation on running Hippo, including the Linux Installation Manual and the page on implementing MySQL as the production database.  I now have the server set up, and in the coming days I will deploy Hippo.  I will report back with the results - hopefully success!  :-)

Regards,

Chris.

rdjava30

Jul 10, 2018, 11:28:51 AM7/10/18
to Hippo Community
Hi Chris

Are you able to deploy your local Hippo Application to Production  Server.
Please provide me steps, if you still remember .