Hippo 11.0.2 channel manager doesn't scroll vertically

Martijn van der Vorst

Oct 14, 2016, 7:04:11 AM10/14/16
to Hippo Community
Hello,

For some reason after upgrading to hippo 11.0.2, the channel manager isn't scrolling vertically.
There are no mentions in the log, so I'm wondering what may be wrong.

Regards,
Martijn van der Vorst

marijan milicevic

Oct 14, 2016, 7:06:46 AM10/14/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

marijan milicevic

Oct 14, 2016, 7:08:08 AM10/14/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 1:06 PM, marijan milicevic <m.mil...@onehippo.com> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 1:04 PM, 'Martijn van der Vorst' via Hippo Community <hippo-community@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hello,

For some reason after upgrading to hippo 11.0.2, the channel manager isn't scrolling vertically.
There are no mentions in the log, so I'm wondering what may be wrong.
probably:

if you can add more info, would help solving the problem,
cheers
marijan

Martijn van der Vorst

Oct 14, 2016, 7:52:12 AM10/14/16
to Hippo Community
Sadly, very little info I can provide, since Hippo doesn't give me any, neither in the tomcat logs, or in the browser console.
Any idea of an ETA?
Would it help if I made a client issue of this?

On Friday, 14 October 2016 13:08:08 UTC+2, marijan milicevic wrote:
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 1:06 PM, marijan milicevic <m.mil...@onehippo.com> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 1:04 PM, 'Martijn van der Vorst' via Hippo Community <hippo-c...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hello,

For some reason after upgrading to hippo 11.0.2, the channel manager isn't scrolling vertically.
There are no mentions in the log, so I'm wondering what may be wrong.
probably:

if you can add more info, would help solving the problem,
cheers
marijan

cheers
marijan

Regards,
Martijn van der Vorst

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

marijan milicevic

Oct 14, 2016, 8:03:21 AM10/14/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 1:52 PM, 'Martijn van der Vorst' via Hippo Community <hippo-c...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Sadly, very little info I can provide, since Hippo doesn't give me any, neither in the tomcat logs, or in the browser console.
Any idea of an ETA?
Would it help if I made a client issue of this?

yes please,
cheers
marijan
To post to this group, send email to hippo-community@googlegroups.com

RSS: https://groups.google.com/group/hippo-community/feed/rss_v2_0_msgs.xml?num=50
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hippo Community" group.

Mathijs den Burger

Oct 14, 2016, 8:03:50 AM10/14/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 1:52 PM, 'Martijn van der Vorst' via Hippo Community <hippo-c...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Sadly, very little info I can provide, since Hippo doesn't give me any, neither in the tomcat logs, or in the browser console.
Any idea of an ETA?
Would it help if I made a client issue of this?

That never hurts. Good to know: the CHANNELMGR issue is part of our current sprint and we're actively investigating it.

Mathijs

Riaz Tai

Nov 30, 2016, 9:41:37 AM11/30/16
to Hippo Community
Hi,

Any update on this?

We are trying to upgrade to Hippo 11 but the channel manager isn't displaying the vertical scroll bars and this is a major blocker for us to upgrade.

Please advise.

Thanks

Riaz Tai

Nov 30, 2016, 9:42:55 AM11/30/16
to Hippo Community
Additionally, the vertical scroll bars do appear in the Tablet and Mobile views, they are only missing in the Desktop view.

Tobias Jeger

Nov 30, 2016, 9:50:34 AM11/30/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Issued CHANNELMGR-982 (11.1) and CHANNELMGR-983 (11.0) should improve this.
I'm not sure if they have been released yet. If not, you may want to build the latest Channel Manager locally and see if the change fixes your problem?

cheers

Tobi

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 101 Main Street, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com

Riaz Tai

Nov 30, 2016, 10:20:52 AM11/30/16
to Hippo Community
I tried overriding the following properties in the root pom.xml but it still doesn't work.

    <hippo.addon-channel-manager.version>4.1.0</hippo.addon-channel-manager.version>
    <hippo.cms.version>4.1.0</hippo.cms.version>

Thanks
Riaz

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 1:03:50 PM UTC+1, m.denburger wrote:
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 1:52 PM, 'Martijn van der Vorst' via Hippo Community <hippo-c...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Sadly, very little info I can provide, since Hippo doesn't give me any, neither in the tomcat logs, or in the browser console.
Any idea of an ETA?
Would it help if I made a client issue of this?

That never hurts. Good to know: the CHANNELMGR issue is part of our current sprint and we're actively investigating it.

Mathijs

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Jasper Floor

Nov 30, 2016, 10:39:49 AM11/30/16
to Hippo Community
This would be in 4.1.1 which is not released yet. You can build it locally, or you can wait for a release.

mvg,
Jasper

RSS: https://groups.google.com/group/hippo-community/feed/rss_v2_0_msgs.xml?num=50
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hippo Community" group.

Riaz Tai

Nov 30, 2016, 12:29:25 PM11/30/16
to Hippo Community
I tried it with the 4.1.1-SNAPSHOT version and although the scroll bar appears, it doesn't render the page correctly. Furthermore there is also lots of blank space at the bottom of the Tablet and Mobile which wasn't there before.

Arthur Bogaart

Dec 1, 2016, 5:16:14 AM12/1/16
to Hippo Community
Hi Riaz,

Thanks for trying out the fix for CHANNELMGR-982! Can you specify what is wrong with the page rendering?

The new algorithm for detecting the height of a page tries to find the 'lowest' element in the site, so for short pages there will probably be blank space below the footer of the site, is that what you are experiencing in the Tablet/Mobile view?

Riaz Tai

Dec 1, 2016, 5:54:26 AM12/1/16
to Hippo Community
Hi,

Thanks for the response. The pages are quite long and the scrolling goes beyond the bottom of the page for quite some length. As for the page rendering, only the text is appearing on the page, the background image (loaded via inline css) is completely missing.

Regards

Arthur Bogaart

Dec 1, 2016, 6:09:22 AM12/1/16
to Hippo Community
Hi Riaz,

As mentioned, our new approach to detecting the page height is based on finding the 'lowest' element on a site. Since we might not always be able to detect this automatically, we added a shortcut to the algorithm that uses a CSS marker class named 'hippo-channel-manager-page-height-marker' to retrieve the 'lowest' element. You could try adding the CSS class to, for example, the footer element of the site and see if that fixes it.
Otherwise I would suggest creating a client issue so we can pick it up ASAP.

Cheers,
Arthur

Riaz Tai

Dec 5, 2016, 9:01:50 AM12/5/16
to Hippo Community
Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the suggestion. We added an empty div with a class attribute value set to 'hippo-channel-manager-page-height-marker' but it didn't resolve the issue.

Arthur Bogaart

Dec 6, 2016, 10:52:29 AM12/6/16
to Hippo Community
Hi Riaz,

That is too bad, but I see you've created an issue in our Jira tracker and it is in our current sprint, so hopefully we'll have a solution for you shortly.

Cheers,
Arthur

Jonatán Fernández Frías

Dec 12, 2016, 10:28:11 AM12/12/16
to Hippo Community
Hi,

   I have the same problem but I could see that in my case was a CSS problem (if I remove all my custom CSS I can see the vertical scrollbar). I need to investigate what is the collision, but if any have some idea about that... :).

Thanks,
   Jonatán Fdz.

Mathijs den Burger

Dec 13, 2016, 3:13:15 AM12/13/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonatán Fernández,

A little technical background on the channel manager implementation may help to fix your CSS issue.

The root cause of the channel manager not scrolling is the way it renders the site plus the overlay on top of it. The channel manager renders the site in an iframe. The overlay is a layer rendered in the app, e.g. in the parent of that iframe. Things shows in the overlay are marked by HTML comments in the page output that's generated by the server, parsed by the app when the page loads and turned into overlay elements.

In order to smoothly scroll both the overlay and the iframe simultaneously, the channel manager does not let the iframe scroll. Instead, it calculates the height of the site in the iframe and makes the surrounding iframe equally high. So both the site and the overlay become two really 'long' layers on top of each other. Both scroll inside a div in the app.

There are several reasons why scrolling a site in the channel manager could not work:

1. The channel manager miscalculates the page height. That may be your issue. The latest current releases check the height of the site via the height of the html and body elements. When those don't stretch the full page the app does not make the iframe long enough and you cannot scroll the full page. You can probably fix that now by ensuring that the HTML and/or the body element get the full page height (e.g. use html height 100% and body height min-height: 100% so the body grows with the page). In the latest maintenance release we added an additional method to determinate the page height (look for the element with a specific class that marks the height of the page) but that has not been released yet.

2. The site uses a window resize listener that updates the DOM and changes the page height. That may trigger an endless loop, since the app uses a MutationObserver to adjust the height of the iframe (since DOM mutations may change the page height). This is fixed in the latest maintenance release.

In addition, the 'stretched iframe' method means that any CSS or logic that depends on the viewport size won't work in the channel manager. So things like position: fixed, 'vh' and 'vw' units in CSS and JavaScript logic using clientHeight, window.scrollY etc. may all break in the channel manager. We're currently investigating these issues in https://issues.onehippo.com/browse/CHANNELMGR-1025.

hope this helps,
Mathijs

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)