Adding meta information to prototype pages and having default components

Alexandru Ionescu

May 25, 2015, 4:11:04 AM5/25/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We have a common usecase where we would need to add some custom page specific properties ( like title, description, meta tags, tracking parameters and so on ).
Is there a simple way to extend the page settings in Channel manager or do you have plans for this in the future?
Or maybe there is another simple way and we just missed it somehow? We don't want to have a draggable component for this as these settings should always be present and we don't want to have the parent template rely on something from a child.

Also is there a best practice for working with prototype pages with "already in place" components? For some of our templates we would want a number of component to already be in the page ( could be different containers ), the editor can edit them but he can't remove them ( at least it would be nice to have that he doesn't ).

Best regards,
Alex

Ard Schrijvers

May 26, 2015, 3:40:59 AM5/26/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hey Alexandru,

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 10:11 AM, Alexandru Ionescu <gigi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a common usecase where we would need to add some custom page
> specific properties ( like title, description, meta tags, tracking
> parameters and so on ).
> Is there a simple way to extend the page settings in Channel manager or do
> you have plans for this in the future?

On a sitemap item we support parameters (key - values) in which you
can store this information. However, you cannot (yet) modify them
through the channel manager page settings. The only property that is
editable now IIRC from the top of my head is the 'title'.

> Or maybe there is another simple way and we just missed it somehow? We don't
> want to have a draggable component for this as these settings should always
> be present and we don't want to have the parent template rely on something
> from a child.

I fully agree this doesn't feel right.

I've created

https://issues.onehippo.com/browse/CHANNELMGR-223

> Also is there a best practice for working with prototype pages with "already
> in place" components?

A prototype can have containers with in them already container items.

> For some of our templates we would want a number of
> component to already be in the page ( could be different containers ), the
> editor can edit them but he can't remove them ( at least it would be nice to
> have that he doesn't ).

Nice to have feature and AFAICS shouldn't be hard to support. I've created

https://issues.onehippo.com/browse/CHANNELMGR-224
https://issues.onehippo.com/browse/CHANNELMGR-225

Regards Ard

> Best regards,
> Alex
>
> --
> Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about
> Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

> "Hippo Community" group.
> email to hippo-communi...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/hippo-community.

Hippo Netherlands, Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hippo USA, Inc.- 745 Atlantic Ave, Eight Floor, Boston MA 02111,
United states of America.

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com

Bert Leunis

May 26, 2015, 4:19:59 AM5/26/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 9:40 AM, Ard Schrijvers <a.schr...@onehippo.com> wrote:
Hey Alexandru,

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 10:11 AM, Alexandru Ionescu <gigi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a common usecase where we would need to add some custom page
> specific properties ( like title, description, meta tags, tracking
> parameters and so on ).
> Is there a simple way to extend the page settings in Channel manager or do
> you have plans for this in the future?

On a sitemap item we support parameters (key - values) in which you
can store this information. However, you cannot (yet) modify them
through the channel manager page settings. The only property that is
editable now IIRC from the top of my head is the 'title'.

> Or maybe there is another simple way and we just missed it somehow? We don't
> want to have a draggable component for this as these settings should always
> be present and we don't want to have the parent template rely on something
> from a child.
Until the issues that Ard created are resolved, the Seo feature from Essentials is your best shot here. But that would mean indeed having a draggable component in one of your containers. If properties are missing (like the tracking parameters you mention), extend the org.onehippo.forge.seo.support.SEOHelperComponentParamsInfo and use it in your own extension of the org.onehippo.forge.seo.support.SEOHelperComponent.

Alexandru Ionescu

May 26, 2015, 9:52:15 AM5/26/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We will implement a custom component for now, which we will put in a new container on the prototype page.
We are having some issues with the containers in Channel manager ( the label on them dissapears or you need to "refresh" the page by opening Firebug or Chrome inspector so the containers "fall in line" ), but we manage for now.

We are looking forward to the improvements to the channel manager.

Best regards,
Alex