SpringBridgeHstComponent Breaks Editing Component Item Parameters

Josh Suarez

Aug 14, 2015, 5:36:37 PM8/14/15
to Hippo Community
I'm currently migrating existing components to use the HST-2 Spring Bean Bridge to integrate better with the Spring IOC container.

I followed the Hippo documentation and everything works as advertised, at least in the running site.  I can now define my component beans in my spring configuration and use DI for my component dependencies.

However, I learned that now I cannot modify the parameters on those component's in the Channel Manager's Template Composer.  Before migrating those catalog components to use the SpringBridgeHstComponent I could click in the component item area in the Template Composer and get the pop up dialog which let me view and edit all the parameters to that component item (hst:parameternames, hst:parametervalues).  Now the pop up dialog just shows a message that "No editable properties found for this component."

I should mention that the component parameter values that were already set on the components are still available during request processing/execution.  But those values are now effectively "hard-coded" because the webmaster cannot view/change them in the Template Composer.

Is this a known issue with the SpringBridgeHstComponent?  Or is there a workaround configuration or something to make those component parameters available again in the Channel's Template Composer?

Woonsan Ko

Aug 14, 2015, 8:38:39 PM8/14/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josh,

Channel manager can only scan annotations [1] in the class which is
configured at @hst:componentclassname property to show the parameter
setting window at the moment.
SpringBridgeHstComponent class itself, which is used in your component
configuration now, cannot be annotated by a domain-specific parameters
info annotation. As a result, it's not shown in the channel manager
properly.

If you want to enable the parameters setting window for the
SpringBridgeHstComponent-bridged component, then you should extend the
class only for the annotation. e.g, ContactSpringBridgeHstComponent
extends SpringBridgeHstComponent with a specific annotation in that
extending class for contact component for instance. See [1] for detail.

This is needed at the moment because channel manager recognizes the
parameters information only by class annotation, which makes you extend
a new class for each component.

I personally hope this situation should be improved somehow for
convenience in the future. e.g, separate interface giving the parameters
info at runtime.

Regards,

Woonsan

[1]
http://www.onehippo.org/library/concepts/component-development/hstcomponent-parametersinfo-annotation.html

On 8/14/15 5:36 PM, Josh Suarez wrote:
> I'm currently migrating existing components to use the HST-2 Spring Bean
> Bridge to integrate better with the Spring IOC container.
>
> I followed the Hippo documentation
> <http://www.onehippo.org/library/concepts/web-application/spring-bridge.html> and
> everything works as advertised, at least in the running site. I can now
> define my component beans in my spring configuration and use DI for my
> component dependencies.
>
> However, I learned that now I cannot modify the parameters on those
> component's in the Channel Manager's Template Composer. Before
> migrating those catalog components to use the SpringBridgeHstComponent I
> could click in the component item area in the Template Composer and get
> the pop up dialog which let me view and edit all the parameters to that
> component item (hst:parameternames, hst:parametervalues). Now the pop
> up dialog just shows a message that "No editable properties found for
> this component."
>
> I should mention that the component parameter values that were already
> set on the components are still available during request
> processing/execution. But those values are now effectively "hard-coded"
> because the webmaster cannot view/change them in the Template Composer.
>
> Is this a known issue with the SpringBridgeHstComponent? Or is there a
> workaround configuration or something to make those component parameters
> available again in the Channel's Template Composer?
>

> --
> Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements
> about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

> Groups "Hippo Community" group.
> an email to hippo-communi...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:hippo-communi...@googlegroups.com>.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/hippo-community.

w....@onehippo.com www.onehippo.com
Boston - 745 Atlantic Ave, 8th Floor, Boston MA 02111
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466

Woonsan Ko

Aug 31, 2015, 9:19:47 AM8/31/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
I've filed an improvement ticket for this issue:
- https://issues.onehippo.com/browse/HSTTWO-3384

Cheers,

Woonsan

Josh Suarez

Oct 9, 2015, 7:38:41 PM10/9/15
to Hippo Community
Thank you Woonsan for your quick response.  Your answer makes sense.  I forgot to mark this post as complete and have done so now.

By the way, it was good to meet you and the other Hippo developers at the Hippo Connect conference last week.

Cheers,
Josh

Woonsan Ko

Oct 9, 2015, 10:38:01 PM10/9/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Ah yes! It was really great to meet you in person! :-)
Enjoy the Colorful State and see you later!

Cheers,

Woonsan