Reloading default catalog changes

msim...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2014, 5:44:12 AM11/27/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

I recently attended the Hippo training in Amsterdam, which was really useful, and it was nice to meet some of you. One of the big things that came from the training was a better understanding of the bootstrap process, and reloadonstartup usage.

However I have specific question (I'm on CMS version 7.9.3).

Using repo.bootstrap=true, and updating the relevant parts of the configuration/content hippoecm-extension with reloadonstartup and an incremented version, I've managed to get almost everything we've recently added properly reloaded (which is a first for us!)... except for the default catalog. The node is missing entirely.

We've recently added the Blog component from Essentials, which adds a number of Components into:

    /hst:hst/hst:configurations/hst:default/hst:catalog

I've found the relevant entry in the configurations hippoecm-extension.xml, and added the reloadonstartup and version tags, but it complained it can't be reloaded because it's combine or overlay data. I tried removing the "h:merge="combine"" attribute in catalog.xml just to see what would happen, and the error has gone... but there's still no hst:default/hst:catalog node.

How do I reload hst:default/hst:catalog changes?

I believe that's the last thing that needs reloading before we (finally) have a proper update..! :)

Thanks,
Mark.

Tobias Jeger

Nov 27, 2014, 6:19:26 AM11/27/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

could you post the content of that "delta" XML file and the corresponding entry in the relevant hippoecm-extensions.xml file? I'm curious at which (node) level the bootstrapping kicks in, and if we can't (correctly) get rid of the "merge-combine".

thanks

Tobi

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 101 Main Street, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com

msim...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2014, 6:29:52 AM11/27/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobi,

Sure, I've attached the catalog.xml file, and the hippoecm-extensions entry is below:

  <sv:node sv:name="hippocms-hst-hst-hst-configurations-hst-default-hst-catalog">

<sv:property sv:name="jcr:primaryType" sv:type="Name">

<sv:value>hippo:initializeitem</sv:value>

</sv:property>

<sv:property sv:name="hippo:sequence" sv:type="Double">

<sv:value>30056.0</sv:value>

</sv:property>

<sv:property sv:name="hippo:contentresource" sv:type="String">

<sv:value>hst/configurations/default/catalog.xml</sv:value>

</sv:property>

<sv:property sv:name="hippo:contentroot" sv:type="String">

<sv:value>/hst:hst/hst:configurations/hst:default</sv:value>

</sv:property>

<sv:property sv:name="hippo:reloadonstartup" sv:type="Boolean">

<sv:value>true</sv:value>

</sv:property>

<sv:property sv:name="hippo:version" sv:type="String">

<sv:value>1.1.0</sv:value>

</sv:property>

</sv:node>

Please let me know if I've misunderstood or if you need more.

Thanks for your help.
Mark.
catalog.xml

Tobias Jeger

Nov 27, 2014, 6:43:45 AM11/27/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

thanks for the info. I take it someone at your end grouped these 4 catalog components into the merge-combine bootstrap resource?
7.9 doesn't support reloading merge-combine files, as such a reload would have a hard time figuring out what was already there when
it got bootstrapped initially. I guess the easiest solution would be to split your bootstrap resource into 4 regular bootstrap resources, one
for each catalog component. Then, the reloadonstartup flag will work "normally".

HTH

Tobi

msim...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2014, 6:51:37 AM11/27/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobi,

We didn't move any of the nodes into default manually, or update the XML file manually, it was all done with Essentials and autoexport.

I'm afraid I'm not sure I entirely know what you mean by splitting the bootstrap resource, do you have an example?

Thanks,
Mark.

Tobias Jeger

Nov 27, 2014, 7:24:44 AM11/27/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

that surprises me. When Essentials installs catalog items (for example, when you install the blog feature), it executes an XML import of individual catalog item definitions into the repository. Upon saving, auto-export kicks in, which exports the HST configuration into your project's bootstrap/configuration module (by default). I don't remember ever seeing autoexport generating merge-combine type bootstrap resources, and I would be surprised if it did (but there's a chance it actually does, I'm open to learn :-).

What I mean by splitting up the bootstrap resource is that you can split the attached XML file into 4 files, each file containing exactly one catalog item. Make sure these files do not specify and use the "merge" namespace anymore. Each new file should then go together with its own entry in the hippoecm-extensions.xml file.
When doing so, check how auto-export interacts with this setup when you change some hst parameter for example.

If the attache XML file contains all catalog components your project currently has in the essentials-catalog, you may also want to consider making the essentials-catalog node the root node of your bootstrap resource, and keep all components in a single bootstrap resource.

HTH

Tobi

Jeroen Reijn

Nov 27, 2014, 7:27:41 AM11/27/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

as a side note could you check if the sequence order of your bootstrap item and the original catalog file is correct? I've seen things go wrong here sometimes.
There is a known bug in the auto export module which creates some changes with a lower node than the parent node.

Jeroen

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 12:29 PM, <msim...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Jeroen Reijn
Hippo

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 101 Main Street, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com

msim...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2014, 10:01:59 AM11/27/14
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeroen, Tobi,

Ok, I started with backtracing the sequence order from the missing catalog file, as it seemed a more straightforward thing to start with. The sequence looked fine, except the actual hst:default/hst:catalog node definition wasn't in the following XML file at all:

   bootstrap/configuration/src/main/resources/hst/configurations.xml

So, I copied the hst:catalog definition from another part of the file, pasted it in there, increased the appropriate version number in the hippoecm-extension... and it now all works.

Not really sure what happened there, as we don't manually adjust the XML files (we're all still fairly new to Hippo, although after the training I feel more comfortable giving it a go). All I can think of was perhaps a dodgy merge conflict resolution.

So, yes, looks like it's now sorted, thanks for your help!

Mark.

Eric Nguyen personal

Mar 30, 2015, 5:56:17 AM3/30/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com, msim...@gmail.com
My friends, I've pulled my hair over this as well:
  1. Remove myproject-preview folders in Console, under:
    1. hst:hst/hst:channels
    2. hst:hst/hst:configurations