Geolocation in Relevance Module

ardens...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2018, 8:39:22 AM3/15/18
to Hippo Community
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to make use of the geographic location of the visitors in the relevance module with the bundled collectors and characteristics, but every visit in ES generates this:

  • geo
    {
    • collectorId"geo",
    • city"",
    • country"",
    • continent"",
    • latitude0,
    • longitude0
    }

I've been reading the documentation but I don't see what do I need to do to activate the geolocation.

Thanks!

Jasper Floor

Mar 15, 2018, 8:46:25 AM3/15/18
to Hippo Community

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

ardens...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2018, 9:36:31 AM3/15/18
to Hippo Community
Hi Jasper,

Yes, I added the free one, that exact same dependency in my site's pom.xml. Do I need to do any additional step?

El jueves, 15 de marzo de 2018, 13:46:25 (UTC+1), jasper.floor escribió:
On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 1:39 PM, <ardens...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to make use of the geographic location of the visitors in the relevance module with the bundled collectors and characteristics, but every visit in ES generates this:

  • geo
    {
    • collectorId"geo",
    • city"",
    • country"",
    • continent"",
    • latitude0,
    • longitude0
    }

I've been reading the documentation but I don't see what do I need to do to activate the geolocation.

Thanks!

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Niels van Kampenhout

Mar 19, 2018, 10:46:14 AM3/19/18
to Hippo Community
Is the geo data you included perhaps from yourself visiting the site on your local dev machine? You won't get any data for localhost visitors.

You can test geolocation on localhost by using a browser plugin to set X-Forwared-For header, see https://www.onehippo.org/library/enterprise/enterprise-features/targeting/targeting-faq.html

Hope this helps,
Niels

RSS: https://groups.google.com/group/hippo-community/feed/rss_v2_0_msgs.xml?num=50
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hippo Community" group.

ardens...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2018, 12:26:41 PM3/19/18
to Hippo Community
Hi Niels,

It's not my local dev machine, but the test environments, which are actually only accessible via VPN. Could that be the reason why? If that's the case, do you have a recommendation to test geolocation in test environments such as tst or acc?

Thanks for your help!

Niels van Kampenhout

Mar 19, 2018, 8:13:03 PM3/19/18
to Hippo Community
If you access the test site via VPN, your IP is probably local to that VPN so it wouldn't be known to the geolocation service. In this scenario too, you can use a browser extension to set the X-Forwarded-For header (for example to your IP when not connected to the VPN) to test the geolocation service.

RSS: https://groups.google.com/group/hippo-community/feed/rss_v2_0_msgs.xml?num=50
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hippo Community" group.

ardens...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2018, 7:22:27 AM3/20/18
to Hippo Community
Thanks Niels, that was definitely the issue,