Managing Developers and QA content

neha malhotra

Aug 16, 2017, 5:21:27 AM8/16/17
to Hippo Community
Hi Team,

Wanted to know best practices for managing DEV and QA (testing team content). Whether its workspace or content folder, can we go with strategy like creating dev and qa folder and then placing content in same. Common reusable content can be part of common folder.

Suggestions

Michiel Rop

Aug 17, 2017, 3:07:12 AM8/17/17
to Hippo Community
Hi,

First of all:
  • From my experience it's requires a huge effort to keep the test content in sync with the (automated) end-to-end tests.
Furthermore:
  • One wants to make sure that test content never ends up on an acceptance of production environment, but only on a test environment.
  • Using separate folders for test and common content requires the develivery tier to be aware of a the test folders. In that case, what are you testing ?
  • Developers have to be involved in adding test content, since autoexport cannot determine what's test content and what's not.

One approach is to create a maven module that only gets included in the artifact and during local development, e.g. with a maven profile.

From what I've seen at various clients, such a setup is not trivial to setup and maintain and this general answer probably won't be enough to aid you. Have you considered asking for support from our Professional Service team ?

best,

Michiel Rop

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Minos Chatzidakis

Aug 17, 2017, 6:36:02 AM8/17/17
to Hippo Community
On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 9:06 AM, Michiel Rop <michi...@bloomreach.com> wrote:
Hi,

First of all:
  • From my experience it's requires a huge effort to keep the test content in sync with the (automated) end-to-end tests.
Furthermore:
  • One wants to make sure that test content never ends up on an acceptance of production environment, but only on a test environment.
  • Using separate folders for test and common content requires the develivery tier to be aware of a the test folders. In that case, what are you testing ?
  • Developers have to be involved in adding test content, since autoexport cannot determine what's test content and what's not.

One approach is to create a maven module that only gets included in the artifact and during local development, e.g. with a maven profile.

Yes, this is a common practice and depends on maven: you have to make sure that only the test content module is loaded when you want to have a repository for running your end-to-end tests. If any other content module is loaded then you may run into problems (e.g. you have a test where you count search results and expecting 5, now you get 10 so it's failing).

I can think 2 options with maven profiles:
- You either load no content module(s) by default and only load what you want using explicit profiles
- Or you load some content module(s) by default, but excluding it/them if the 'test' profile is activated

Have you seen [1] and [2]?

hth!
Minos
--

From what I've seen at various clients, such a setup is not trivial to setup and maintain and this general answer probably won't be enough to aid you. Have you considered asking for support from our Professional Service team ?

best,

Michiel Rop

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 11:21 AM neha malhotra <nehamalho...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Team,

Wanted to know best practices for managing DEV and QA (testing team content). Whether its workspace or content folder, can we go with strategy like creating dev and qa folder and then placing content in same. Common reusable content can be part of common folder.

Suggestions

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Minos Chatzidakis

Product consultant

email-sig-logo.png

p.