Documentation conflicts regarding to production deployment

99 visningar

Gangel Dávid

oläst,
27 juni 2015 07:15:282015-06-27
till hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I can find 2 documentations about how to deploy a hippo project to production:
See [1] and [2]

And these 2 are having conflict parts or things that are included in one documentation but not in the other.
I also don't get why is needed 2 documentation at all...

For example:
In the 2nd tutorial: Tweaking the Tomcat startup settings.
VS
In the 1st tutorial: Add the following to bin/setenv.sh, and adjust where necessary section
In this case there are much more properties to be set in the 1st one as mentioned in the 2nd.

And there are lot of things which are not mentioned in the 2nd one.

So can someone please revisit this documentations and make it clear?

Gangel Dávid

oläst,
27 juni 2015 09:15:242015-06-27
till hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
My other problem is the init scripts:
1. It does call twice the export of the environment vars. First in the init script itself second inside the setenv.sh
2. What about linux distributions that are using systemd instead of initd?

Gangel Dávid

oläst,
28 juni 2015 11:35:212015-06-28
till hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Adding another conflict:
says:
Enable RMI

Hippo Repository can be configured to start an RMI server to allow clients to remotely access the repository. To enable this feature you must set the context parameter start-remote-server to true.

Now in the docs:
<Parameter name="start-remote-server" value="false" override="false"/>

However:
  • To allow the CMS to open the RMI port, edit conf/catalina.policy and add the following to the end:

    grant codeBase "jar:file:${catalina.home}/webapps/" {
      permission java.net.SocketPermission "*:1099", "connect, accept, listen";
    };

Gangel Dávid

oläst,
28 juni 2015 11:42:332015-06-28
till hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
And yeah my favourite:
Add the following to conf/context.xml and adjust it to match your environment:
Create the file conf/repository.xml with the following contents:

Now these 2 files are included in the project so the edit should not be done on the tomcat server but in the project itself on your dev machine. But there is no mention about this.

Niels van Kampenhout

oläst,
29 juni 2015 10:47:392015-06-29
till hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dávid,

Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it very much!

We have a long wish list of documentation improvements but our
priority has so far been with tutorials and training material aimed at
web developers. It is clear from feedback we receive (from you and
from others) that our deployment documentation and other technical
documentation is not always meeting expectations regarding quality,
consistency and general helpfulness.

We take your comments to heart and we'll do our best to make
improvements accordingly. Your feedback helps a lot with getting
resources allocated for this and prioritizing this kind of work.

Please do not hesitate (you or anyone else) to give us more feedback.

Kind regards,
Niels
> --
> Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about
> Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

> "Hippo Community" group.
> email to hippo-communi...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/hippo-community.

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 745 Atlantic Ave, 8th Floor, MA 02111

US +1 877 414 4776
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com
Svara alla