Using the HL-2 during WPX and Covid-19 contest. (CW)

Rune Øye

Jun 7, 2020, 12:20:24 PM6/7/20
to Hermes-Lite

All,

A short report after using the HL-2 for the last two weekends. A new experience and a lot of fun, I could not believe that you could do as well with 3-5 watts.

Antenna in use is an OB15-7 (Opti beam) two element on 7 to 15m and three element on 12-10m @ approx. 19m height. Just over 300 QSO`s on each contest, the radio performed well with no issues. Software in use was SDRC and some monitoring using Quisk. Many qso`s with Europeans / Russians but also some nice DX. I guess the highlight was VK6LW during WPX with 3.5 watt on 15m band. Last night during the Covid-19 Contest (STAY HOME) and just before I was planning to turn off the radio, there was a good opening to NA and I worked many stations in a period of 30-45min. A big thanks to all developers of hardware and software, keep up the good work.

--…   …--

Rune

Matthew

Jun 7, 2020, 2:27:45 PM6/7/20
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Rune,

I did a reasonably casual SO(A) LP 15m entry (with HL2 + HR50) and didn't bother to put up any special antennas so was just on a doublet. I really struggled to work NA on the Saturday. Conditions were much better on the Sunday for me. When did you work the VK6? I really struggled with any good openings to East Asia/Oceania That is great work with 5 W! When 15m closed on the Sunday I worked a few stations on 20m. The band chaos and key clicks everywhere, but the HL2+linHPSDR held up well for a few QSOs.

73 Matthew M5EVT.

Rune Øye

Jun 7, 2020, 3:36:52 PM6/7/20
to Matthew, Hermes-Lite
Hi Matthew

Yes, I guess it helps with a 2 el beam.... VK6LW :QSO: 21009 CW 2020-05-31 0627 LA7THA        599 0185   VK6LW         599 1048

I have to admit that he was very patient and he got his "599 185" however, a qso is a qso. Worked a ZS on 40, WB9WZ, K9CT during WPX.
More lucky yesterday under Covid - 19 test I had a good run with NA stations. As you say, the HL-2 stands out very well in the contest environment with the "klicks" etc. I will love to try it out during CQ 160 :-) this is where the big challenges are :-)

73
Rune

Graeme Jury

Jun 7, 2020, 7:48:20 PM6/7/20
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Rune et al,

Worked a few on 80 and 40 for the WPX using MIDI keyer and linHPSDR. I am not a high speed CW operator and ragchew at 20 wpm and stretch to 25 for contests but I can say that all the keying mistakes were due to me and not the latency. Only VK and ZL on 80 but did get to USA on 40.

73, Graeme ZL2APV