Hermes-Lite 2.0 Build8 Group Buy Now Open

Steve Haynal

Mar 21, 2019, 11:01:17 AM3/21/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

The Hermes-Lite 2.0 Build8 group buy is now open to all:

Hermes-Lite 2:0

This is a limited time group buy and will close on April 1. There is a minimum group order quantity of 25 for the Hermes-Lite 2.0 and 15 for the N2ADR filter board which we should have already met as this group buy was announced to those on the waiting list 3 days ago.

This group buy includes complete assembly of both boards. If you order the N2ADR filter companion card, the 20x2 female connector and small PCB to connect to the HL2 are included but you must solder and assemble those. The enclosure is not included, so you must purchase the recommended enclosure separately or find another way to properly heat sink the PA during transmit. A USB blaster to reprogram the gateware is not included, but the units will be programmed at makerfabs with the latest gateware image.

This is the first time the assembly house is winding the TX balun on the HL2 and the power pickup on the N2ADR card for us. They may not do this correctly the first time around, so you should be prepared to rewind these. Also, you should be prepared to do minor surface mount repairs such as change out a 2 pin resistor or capacitor, although this hopefully will not be required.

The boards will undergo a screening test at makerfabs. This will test basic RX, TX and other functionality, but is not an extended burn in test. The arrangement includes sending me a free unit for every 5 units that are sold. These units are replacements in case of some catastrophic failure of a unit in the field. I will also eventually sell the remaining units. The profits go into a pool to pay for parts replacements and other minor repairs. After selling almost 100 units, this system has worked okay and the pool remains funded.

Payment is through the www.makerfabs.com site and appears to be PayPal or bank transfer. For safe internet purchases with credit card or bank, I recommend using a virtual number with time and amount limits. Your credit card or bank typically provides a virtual number through your online account.

Makerfabs is saying 4-6 weeks for production, starting from April 1. From past experience, I know it can take longer as sometimes specific part orders are delayed.

www.makerfabs.com is a company in China's Silicon Delta that specializes in small batch assembly for open source and hardware projects. They assembled all the N2ADR companion filter boards (35 units) in the last two builds. I have worked with them successfully on other projects as well.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Steve Haynal

Mar 22, 2019, 11:53:30 PM3/22/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

The latest update from Makerfabs is that 31 HL2s and 27 N2ADR filter boards have been purchased. All the minimum quantity requirements have been met.

I have added group buy links to the main web page and the wiki.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Simon Brown

Mar 30, 2019, 7:56:58 AM3/30/19
to Hermes-Lite

Steve / group,

Sorry if I sound stupid – that’s because I am at times 😊 . If I buy the two options below, do I have all the electronics for the 5W Hermes Lite, so just add a case and start coding?

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

in3otd

Mar 30, 2019, 8:57:49 AM3/30/19
to Hermes-Lite
yes!

Marc OLANIE

Mar 30, 2019, 9:11:23 AM3/30/19
to Simon Brown, Hermes-Lite

Hi Simon

As the answer is « definitely yes”, it’s the most promising and best question of the day.

Thanks Simon, in the name of the HL community :- )

F6itu

Mar 30, 2019, 10:07:44 AM3/30/19
to Hermes-Lite

Hi,

Thanks, “Your order has been successfully processed!” so I’ll just wait for it to arrive, then get the case info.

With 4W into my Gemini HF 1k I will have 400W so can shout at a few locals and create QRM on 80m 😊 .

Mathis Schmieder

Apr 5, 2019, 3:25:09 AM4/5/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Simon,

I see that you ordered a board at the group buy and don't need me anymore to build one :) Anyway, looking very much forward to having HL support in SDR Console :)

Best 73s,
Mathis, DB9MAT

Simon Brown

Apr 5, 2019, 3:29:14 AM4/5/19
to Mathis Schmieder, Hermes-Lite

Hi,

I lost your original e-mail so couldn’t tell you about this, mea culpa. I didn’t delete your mails, I just did something with them and don’t remember what . Anyway, buying ready-made saves your time, when it arrives I’ll get a case and start coding. I’ll have to determine the protocol, it’s all doable.

Steve Haynal

Apr 7, 2019, 12:49:22 AM4/7/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

Here is an update on the group buy. When the group buy "closed" on April 1, 67 HL2s and 62 N2ADR filter boards had sold. Makerfabs would like to make a 100 units total (better price breaks on parts), keep some stock and continue selling. I agreed to that but don't want to be overloaded with handling additional repair or replacements. So if you purchased on or before April 1 (keep your e-mail as proof), you will go through me if there are any problems once you receive the board as initially planned. I will receive 13 spares, 20% of 67. Orders after April 1 will go though Makerfabs.

N2ADR has sent me a standalone Hermes-Lite 2.0 test program with source to compile on Raspberry Pi. Thanks Jim! I will test that this weekend. I am coordinating with Makerfabs on exactly when they will need an updated test program so that we maximize time to develop the tests and enhance the gateware. I expect Makerfabs will do a very small test run of 5 or less units to test the process first.

I have updated the gateware to again support the openhpsdr protocol1 gateware update over ethernet: https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Protocol1-Programmers
My first tests are working fine but I want to add a few more convenience and safety features. This gateware will be programmed by Makerfabs and will allow you to update the gateware without a USB blaster. Nothing is 100% reliable, so there may be cases when someone will "brick" their unit and need a USB blaster or Raspberry Pi to do the low-level gateware update.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Marty Wittrock

Apr 11, 2019, 6:22:26 PM4/11/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi,

I'm interested in knowing if I can still get in with the group buy for the Hermes-Lite transceiver. Please let me know if I can, the expected leadtime, and how I go about payment.

TNX es 73 de Marty, KN0CK

Roger Critchlow

Apr 11, 2019, 9:01:17 PM4/11/19
to Hermes-Lite
Interesting, the purchase links are still open at makerfabs.com, but the descriptions still refer all support issues to this group.

-- rec -- ad5dz --

Bob A, Booey

Apr 11, 2019, 9:08:06 PM4/11/19
to herme...@googlegroups.com

Steve's post just before Marty's explains the situation.

Steve Haynal

Apr 11, 2019, 11:10:28 PM4/11/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi All,

www.makerfabs.com still has some units for prepurchase. Units purchased after April 1 will go through Makerfabs for any returns or repairs. Units purchased before that date will go through me. Discussion and online support will be on this list for any unit sold and is why makerfabs still points to this group.

73,

Steve
kf7o

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 4:22 PM Marty Wittrock <martyw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm interested in knowing if I can still get in with the group buy for the Hermes-Lite transceiver. Please let me know if I can, the expected leadtime, and how I go about payment.

TNX es 73 de Marty, KN0CK

Steve Haynal

Apr 22, 2019, 10:26:24 PM4/22/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

www.makerfabs.com has the first few units assembled. See the pictures below. Overall, the assembly looks good to me. The 20x1 male header on the HL2 is not yet assembled, but will have to be installed for testing. The next step is testing. They have the Raspberry Pi testing image plus the wiki notes, and I expect questions about testing this week.

73,

Steve
kf7o

IMG_0631_1.jpg

IMG_0617_1.jpg

IMG_0628_1.jpg

Steve Haynal

Apr 23, 2019, 11:48:20 PM4/23/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

Good news! The first two units have been programmed and passed the tests. At first www.makerfabs.com was using a Raspberry Pi 3 model B with a silver BCM2837B0 and the FPGA was not detected for programming. This is the same CPU as the B+ but on the B pcb board. I didn't know they even made those. Once they switched to a Raspberry Pi 3 model B with the black BCM2837, the same as my unit, the programming worked. All the tests passed except for the last rise in temperature test. In this test, the PA is keyed at low power and the temperature change after a couple of seconds is measured. They are seeing a ~1.75 degree rise where I saw a ~0.75 degree rise on my unit. I think they are seeing better thermal transfer with their PCBs. It looks like the may have used an ENIG finish. I waived this failure, and changed it to be passing if less than a 2.5 degree rise. Below are some pictures they sent.

73,

Steve
kf7o

hl2test1.jpg

hl2test2.png

cbarthod

Apr 24, 2019, 3:58:48 AM4/24/19
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve,

Thanks for these news.

73s Christian F8GHE

Envoyé depuis mon smartphone Samsung Galaxy.

"They are seeing a ~1.75 degree rise where I saw a ~0.75 degree rise on my unit. I think they are seeing better thermal transfer with their PCBs."

Please explain. Sounds like the opposite to me.

73,

Robert, WA2T

Steve Haynal

Apr 24, 2019, 11:56:04 AM4/24/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Robert,

The temperature sensor is located about 7mm from one of the PA LDMOS devices. It essentially measures the temperature of the pcb at that location. The thinking is that heat has better/faster transfer from the LDMOS to this location so we see the quicker increase in temperature. But one could also argue that if transfer is improved overall, this heat should spread throughout the board just as quickly so the temperature rise might be lower. I'm not 100% of the reason, just hypothesizing. It may just be differences in humidity, ambient temperature, etc. at their QTH.

I'm not worried about this test as it was just supposed to verify that some rise in temperature occurs and that AD channel is not stuck. There is another test that measures the current to the PA, and these are well with in the test boundaries. If there were a real problem, I'd expect to see signs of it in the current measurements too.

73,

Steve
kf7o

f6ehp

Apr 27, 2019, 2:13:12 AM4/27/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve,
Last upgrade and test on my HL2b6 shows a 1.11 temp rise.
73 Pascal
P90423-192922.jpg

Steve Haynal

Apr 28, 2019, 1:34:15 AM4/28/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

I received a sample unit from Makerfabs and overall it looks and works great! I ran essentially a 10 minute key down test (5 back to back WSPR transmits) at full power and it performed well. It does appear to transfer heat better and run cooler than earlier boards. The harmonic suppression looks the same as past units. There are just a couple of instructions I have for the hand wound cores: verify high temperature insulation on PA balun wire is used, make sure strands of wires are not nicked or broken, make sure one turn loop on N2ADR board is centered as much as possible. I'm ready to give the green light for full production. There is a four day holiday in China 5/1 to 5/4, but the updated estimated shipping date for all units is 5/10.

Below is a picture of the sample unit in the recommended enclosure. Please remember that you must use the recommended enclosure or other means of heat sinking to transmit at full power. Power out was measured at 6.5 W. The highest temperature I observed was 50C.

73,

Steve
kf7o

hl2b8.jpg

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 8:48:20 PM UTC-7, Steve Haynal wrote:
Hi Group,

Simon Brown

Apr 28, 2019, 4:53:26 AM4/28/19
to Hermes-Lite

Wow,

That looks very good, thanks also for the estimated shipping dates. Looking forward to getting this little beasty working at the ‘ELI pigsty.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

image002.jpg

ger...@gmail.com

May 2, 2019, 4:36:29 AM5/2/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Simon...
Does HL2 currently work with SDR-Console?
/ Gerry

Simon Brown

May 2, 2019, 5:42:22 AM5/2/19
to ger...@gmail.com, Hermes-Lite

Come on,

They haven’t shipped yet!

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

May 3, 2019, 12:00:16 AM5/3/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Simon,

Do you plan to support openHPSDR protocol 1, or at least the Hermes-Lite 2.0 subset of it? As stated several times in the past on this list, there are no plans by me to support protocol 2. Protocol 2 breaks things up into too many packets and separate streams. This requires more fifo ram resources on the FPGA to stage and buffer each of the streams. My interests are to use smaller and less expensive FPGAs, so this is at odds with protocol 2. The more or less single primary packet with interleaved data in protocol 1 will always require fewer buffering resources and less staging logic on the FPGA than protocol 2. I do want to support some new features such as wider bandwidths and more control over receiver synchronization, but think that can be done by extending protocol 1. We already have some extensions to protocol 1:    https://github.com/softerhardware/Hermes-Lite2/wiki/Protocol. If I ever were to make major protocol switches, I'd look closely at soapy https://github.com/pothosware/SoapySDR/wiki as I think the openHPSDR protocols are becoming more and more vendor specific to Apache Labs.

The Hermes-Lite project is entirely open source, even down to the EDA tools and all fabrication files. Anyone is free and welcome to fork the gateware and have a go at supporting protocol 2.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Simon Brown

May 3, 2019, 12:48:24 AM5/3/19
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite

Steve,

I plan to support the Hermes-Lite as it is delivered, so this will be the Hermes-Lite 2.0 protocol, I think. I see everything I need is available, so it’s ‘just coding’ 😊 .

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

[...]

On Thursday, May 2, 2019 at 2:42:22 AM UTC-7, Simon Brown wrote:

Come on,

They haven’t shipped yet!

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Does HL2 currently work with SDR-Console?

/ Gerry

Alan Hopper

May 3, 2019, 2:05:31 AM5/3/19
to Hermes-Lite
Simon,
if you want to get ahead of the game my emulator has a HL2 setting https://github.com/ahopper/Patroclus
73 Alan M0NNB

Sebastien F4GRX

May 3, 2019, 7:58:56 AM5/3/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hello,

I tend to have the same opinion. I tried to look at the documentation, and these
openhpsdr protocols (both) look nothing more than a set of hacks, fully
dedicated to specific boards, that were stretched around to match the new
hardware. But nothing looks planned for evolutions.

(The interleaving of audio and IQ samples from multiple receivers, in
particular, looks particularly horrific to the coder part of my brain, and makes
me scream every time I read the doc :D )

In the domain of hacking SDRs ( i mean, well, all the others, like rtlsdr,
hackrf, limesdr, etc), openhpsdr is a kind of outsider. It is "open",  but
supported by very few software except the usual quisk, powersdr, linhpsdr, and
pihpsdr, and very few others. These are traffic receivers, not extensible, not
usable outside of audio bandwidth things.

What kind of effort would be required to write a soapy compatible protocol
firmware? Since this would become a hacking sdr (not a SSB/CW/JTsomething
traffic thing like the usual), I guess a single receiver, but with adjustable
and wider bandwidth, would be enough.

Sebastien
> *Simon Brown*, G4ELI
> www.sdr-radio.com <http://www.sdr-radio.com/>

Alan Hopper

May 3, 2019, 4:15:02 PM5/3/19
to Hermes-Lite
Sebastian,
 there seems to be some confusion about soapy, it is not a protocol but an api definition so to make hermes lite work with soapy is a matter of writing code to turn turn api calls into hpsdr protocol 1 network calls (or make it emulate another radio), this would make a nice project for someone but I'm not sure it is a panacea.  I have inhouse code to connect SparkSDR to soapy drivers and use it with my lime and rtl dongle and did think about writing a soapy driver for hl2 but that was just work for no obvious gain(to selfish me), once you have code for a native protocol, wrapping it in a generic api can only slow it down.
I've spent a lot of time optimizing Spark for running with lots of receivers and protocol 1 whilst not perfect has performance advantages over protocol 2 and does not really limit what you can do with the radio (especially as we can tweak it).  I do have lots of ideas for how I would do it it we were to start from scratch but in honesty I'm not sure if there are significant gains.  The interleaving was abandoned in protocol 2 and caused a number of unexpected issues relating to latency and synchronization, I personally have a bigger issue with using network endian data when every client has to flip it and also don't like the data not describing itself (bigger packets would also be good).
That being said, if anyone want to write a soapy driver I'll happily share my hl2 interface code.

73 Alan M0NNB

James Ahlstrom

May 4, 2019, 11:51:48 AM5/4/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hello Group,

Alan is quite correct. Soapy is an API library with plugin driver modules for each hardware type; lime, rtl-sdr, pluto, red pitaya, etc. To make HL2 work as a Soapy device, we would need a driver that connects the Soapy API to the hardware. Such a driver would use the current Ethernet wire protocol, HPSDR Protocol 1. So the Rx data flow is:  Hardware -> Ethernet HPSDR protocol 1 -> Soapy driver -> Soapy API -> PC software (Quisk, Spark, PowerSDR, etc.).

Quisk currently has a radio type for the Soapy API, so in theory Quisk can attach to any SDR that has the Soapy interface. But that is theory, and in practice it works poorly. I can barely get my LimeMini to receive, and transmit doesn't work at all. Others are using my Soapy radio code, but it remains hard for me to fix problems when I don't have their hardware. Soapy has almost no documentation, and I have had trouble understanding it. Maybe I will get some help from others who are interested in the Soapy API, but that has been rare in the past.

Jim
N2ADR

Sid Boyce

May 4, 2019, 2:53:33 PM5/4/19
to Hermes-Lite
It seems one would have to read and digest the LMS7002 Datasheet in
order to gain any understanding, still that won't help with using RX/TX
applications.

Not only is there lack of documentation, apps like sdrangel or gqrx are
painful to get working.
Messages like these --- Whatever they mean.
[INFO] Reference clock 30.72 MHz
[INFO] Device name: LimeSDR-USB
[INFO] Reference: 30.72 MHz
[ERROR] TuneVCO(CGEN) - failed to lock (cmphl!=0)
[ERROR] SetFrequencyCGEN(80 MHz) failed
[INFO] LMS7002M calibration values caching Disable
[ERROR] TuneVCO(CGEN) - failed to lock (cmphl!=0)
[ERROR] SetFrequencyCGEN(80 MHz) failed

Try as hard as I can,  no one could tell me how to set up the LimeSDR to
RX on HF.
Posts saying they have it working yet no one could  offer a how-they-did-it.

Another problem area is the use of USB. I was told my USB 3.0 cable was
bad so I ordered one that seemed high spec, it totally failed.
73 ... Sid.

On 04/05/2019 16:51, James Ahlstrom wrote:
> Hello Group,
>
> Alan is quite correct. Soapy is an API library with plugin driver
> modules for each hardware type; lime, rtl-sdr, pluto, red pitaya, etc.
> To make HL2 work as a Soapy device, we would need a driver that
> connects the Soapy API to the hardware. Such a driver would use the
> current Ethernet wire protocol, HPSDR Protocol 1. So the Rx data flow
> is:  Hardware -> Ethernet HPSDR protocol 1 -> Soapy driver -> Soapy
> API -> PC software (Quisk, Spark, PowerSDR, etc.).Â
>
> Quisk currently has a radio type for the Soapy API, so in theory Quisk
> can attach to any SDR that has the Soapy interface. But that is
> theory, and in practice it works poorly. I can barely get my LimeMini
> to receive, and transmit doesn't work at all. Others are using my
> Soapy radio code, but it remains hard for me to fix problems when I
> don't have their hardware. Soapy has almost no documentation, and I
> have had trouble understanding it. Maybe I will get some help from
> others who are interested in the Soapy API, but that has been rare in
> the past.
>
> Jim
> N2ADR
> --

Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support
Senior Staff Specialist, Cricket Coach
Microsoft Windows Free Zone - Linux used for all Computing Tasks

Simon Brown

May 4, 2019, 3:16:20 PM5/4/19
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite

Steve,

About the protocol – I honestly don’t mind as long as it’s documented and tested. I have one SDR supplier who never tested his API, I wasted two weeks which is a shame as it was (and is) a beautiful standalone SDR. I’m currently wasting more time with the Pluto where the library / driver is in need of some loving…

So were you to design a new protocol I would be all for it as long as it’s documented properly.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

May 4, 2019, 4:07:40 PM5/4/19
to Hermes-Lite

Hi All,

Sorry for the confusion by referring to soapy as a protocol. I actually do understand that it is an API and should have been more specific with my description and langugage.

I like the soapy philosophy because it doesn't require software to support the low level transport to the actually SDR hardware. There is an abstraction layer provided by the API. Software supports the API, and hardware ships with gateware and source code for what soapy refers to as the driver API: https://github.com/pothosware/SoapySDR/wiki#driver-api  So for the Hermes-Lite, we'd first create a soapy driver API that uses the existing protocol 1 based transport to/from the Hermes-Lite. But now that software only cares about the soapy driver API, we can change the "behind the scenes" low level protocol used to communicate with the hardware without breaking software. This is why I see something like soapy as so coupled with the actual protocol used by the hardware -- it enables fluidity of that low level hardware protocol.

If those who are actually playing with it now are saying it is not mature enough or not delivering on this philosophy, then maybe we should wait. But I do think it has good goals for a nicely partitioned and modular architecture.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Alan Hopper

May 4, 2019, 4:12:03 PM5/4/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Sebastien,
sorry if my last post was a bit negative, what are you wanting to do that the current protocol does not allow? One of the nice things for me is that the current protocol is simple a network wire protocol so it is completely os and language agnostic. I doubt my experiments with adc linearization  and harmonic cancellation would have been so easy with Soapy in the middle so in my mind the current protocol is ultimately hackable.

73 Alan M0NNB

Alan Hopper

May 5, 2019, 2:18:58 AM5/5/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve,
I agree that soapy is a nice idea and a hl2 driver could definitely be made, It would instantly open up at least a couple of existing apps to work with. There is a RedPitaya driver https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyRedPitaya/blob/master/SoapyRedPitaya.cpp but unfortunately it does not appear to use the redpitaya in hpsdr mode, it might still be a good starting point.  There is still a hpsdr ExtIO.dll
 that should allow HL2 to work with other software although it is a very long time since I tried it.

73 Alan M0NNB

Nigel Head

May 5, 2019, 12:38:05 PM5/5/19
to Hermes-Lite
I just checked the group buys on Makerfabs and both are now 'out of stock'.
Are more boards going to be produced or is simply that Makerfabs have exhausted the current run and will make another run soon?

Nigel - G4ZAL

Steve Haynal

May 5, 2019, 3:23:49 PM5/5/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Nigel,

Makerfabs must have soild all units in their 100 unit run. As part of the arrangement with Makerfabs, I will receive 13 HL2s. These are backup units in case any of the first 67 boards need to be replaced. After a couple of months, maybe in July, I will start selling these boards. Send e-mail to herme...@gmail.com if you would like to reserve one of these boards. I will honor requests in the order received.

I don't know if/when Makerfabs will do another run. Maybe late summer or fall. We'll probably need at least 25 people signed up to meet minimum quantity orders again.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Richard Faust

May 6, 2019, 1:22:20 AM5/6/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve

I also went to buy a set of boards today and found the sold out as well.
I would be interested in one of the 13 HL2s.  I am assuming it would include both boards.
I could also wait for another build.  If they sold 33 boards in two weeks there is demand out there.

Thanks

Dick K9IVB

May 6, 2019, 3:50:50 AM5/6/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve,

I have pinged you an email regarding one of the additional boards you will keep back (hopefully a filter board too?).

As Dick suggests, as Makerfabs sold out pretty quickly, I too think there is more demand out there.
I wonder how quickly another run would sell out?
I might be able to wait until July, but I have an itchy trigger finger and may end up inadvertently hitting the 'buy it now' on another brand of SDR transceiver.

There is very definitely an upsurge in SDR transceiver interest, in part pushed along by the likes of Pete Juliano (N6QW), and his blog http://n6qw.blogspot.com/

I am recently retired and can't afford a Flex radio and want to dip my toes into this new way of doing things and the Hermes-Lite will allow me to actively get involved for not too much money.

Regds,

Nigel - G4ZAL

Steve Haynal

May 10, 2019, 8:24:00 PM5/10/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

Makerfabs has sent me the rest of my allotment of HL2 and N2ADR filter boards. Below are 12 units, all nicely boxed. Makerfabs wants me to do a final check of these units before they ship to individuals. I will test over the weekend and let the group and Makerfabs know how it goes.

73,

Steve
kf7o

IMG_20190510_171535300.jpg

Walter Holmes

May 10, 2019, 8:46:27 PM5/10/19
to Hermes-Lite
Great news there Steve.

Many thanks for all your efforts on this project.

Walter/K5WH

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 10:01:17 AM UTC-5, Steve Haynal wrote:
[...]

Steve Haynal

May 12, 2019, 6:37:29 PM5/12/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

I've finished testing the 12 units and overall I am very happy. I gave Makerfabs the go ahead to start shipping to customers. They will probably start shipping in a few hours as it is early Monday morning in China. There were 3 issues which I found. One female SMA connector had a small dent which prevented tightening to full connection of a SMA cable. I asked them to check and replace connectors if any similar dents are seen. The wire leads to the T3 balun on the HL2 are a little longer than I'd prefer. It is challenging to wind these. I don't think there is any functional or performance impact. I recommended to make these leads shorter on any remaining unassembled units, but not to rework assembled units. Some buyers may decide to shorten these leads on their own. Finally, one board failed for me. It turned out to be a cracked resistor which probably worked for them but failed after time and travel to me. Once I replaced the resistor, all was fine. This is why I keep 20% backup units for a few months, as there will always be a small percentage of failures in the field. We keep the cost low by having just a screening test, but backup replacement units for field failures.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Paul Marbourg

May 12, 2019, 7:02:31 PM5/12/19
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite
Thank you for the timely updates on MakerFabs, Steve.
Also, thank you for the ongoing quality assurance you perform to support this build iteration.
I am really looking forward to receiving my HL2 and Jim Alstrom’s filter board.
73
Paul WN7T

Sent from my iPhone

Steve Haynal

May 13, 2019, 1:39:33 AM5/13/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

I have received several e-mails regarding power supplies, enclosures, and other finishing touches for the Hermes-Lite. I have condensed and updated the getting started wiki page to cover only the essentials for this latest build:

I have moved the older getting started page which included more details for kit builders to:

Please update and maintain this document by editing and adding to the wki pages. All that is required is a free github account.

Regarding enclosures, I just ordered
for evaluation.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Alan Hopper

May 13, 2019, 2:39:05 AM5/13/19
to Hermes-Lite
Steve,
talking of power supplies, whilst tweaking some tx code this weekend I used an old wall wart and noticed I was generating extra signals at +- 100 Hz from the main signal on wspr. Switching back to my normal supply made them disappear.  A full power wspr transmission is probably quite a good test of the power supply. It is quite common to see these 100 or 120Hz wspr images on air.
73 Alan M0NNB

Graeme Jury

May 13, 2019, 6:22:12 AM5/13/19
to Hermes-Lite
Great wiki Steve, many thanks.

73, Graeme zl2apv

Steve Haynal

May 15, 2019, 12:19:32 AM5/15/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Alan,

I see other stations on FT-8 with these images. They are not the strongest signals, and there are others with stronger signals and no images, so I don't think it is the HL2 receiver. But you say you see them when self-monitoring on the HL2 and using a bad power supply? That is good to know, and I'll have to try with my power supplies.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Graeme Jury

May 15, 2019, 12:37:36 AM5/15/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hello Steve and Alan,

This may be a clue. I have noticed that particularly on 20M if I transmit with SparkSDR and the antenna is in close proximity e.g.my mag loop indoors, the spectrum display shows a comb of spurs at around 70 for the close in ones tapering to 85 further out. My Tx report (running from a terminal) will show 2 to 4 instances of my call with signal levels down 60 dB or more from the fundamental and a station receiving me at around +10 will often report a second instance at high -20's. If I transmit into a dummy load these spurs never show so I think it may be caused by RF getting back into the radio somehow. Better screening, grounding and antenna separation possibly could help.

73, Graeme zl2apv

Alan Hopper

May 15, 2019, 1:07:53 AM5/15/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve and Graeme,
when using a good supply I can't detect any images either self monitoring or with another receiver. There is someone 1.5 miles away from me who transmits wspr regularly and I see multiple images spaced at 100hz on every receiver I've tried so can only assume it is their issue.  It is interesting the difference with a dummy load, I'll give that a try.
73 Alan M0NNB

Alan Hopper

May 15, 2019, 7:08:03 AM5/15/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Graeme,
I have found a bug in Spark that means the lna gain is not correctly changed when switching to or from tx, this can cause the displayed spectrum to be bad if the gain causes clipping in the rx path. I'll release a fix soon.
73 Alan M0NNB

Graeme Jury

May 15, 2019, 9:59:59 PM5/15/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Alan,

That's a great find. I look forward to testing the new release.

73, Graeme ZL2APV

Brian Dawe

May 16, 2019, 2:53:56 AM5/16/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve, Since you cleared the HL-2 for dispatch four days ago nothing seems to be happening, any information as to when dispatch/notification might be happening.

Dickie G0PWC.>>>

Jan Holm

May 16, 2019, 3:16:44 AM5/16/19
to Brian Dawe, Hermes-Lite
Hi Brian and Group
I will receive my HL2 from DHL today here in Denmark.
73 OZ1OY, Jan

Med venlig hilsen
Jan Holm Jensen
Mail: janol...@gmail.com
Mobil: +45 2326 2816

RHQQ2YXRKT

May 16, 2019, 6:14:12 AM5/16/19
to Hermes-Lite

My HL-2 has just been delivered, unfortunately I wont have time to try it for a few days.

John
G3UGY

RHQQ2YXRKT

May 16, 2019, 10:23:57 AM5/16/19
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite

Hello Steve, Alan, everyone

Help:

I have downloaded SparkSDR v2.0.0.0  running on Windows 10 Home

Connected 12V from a Farnell linear power supply to connector CN2, Current draw is 0.2A
With no Ethernet connection D5 in on and D2 is flashing

Connected an Ethernet cable from Hermes to my laptop, run SparkSDR and clicked Discover

Now D5 and D4 are on D3 and D2 are flashing,  there is no response from SparkSDR and only the ribbon heading is showing with Discover, Settings and Help

Are any additional drivers or actions required?  Am I running the correct version of SparkSDR ?

John G3UGY

Sent: Monday, May 13, 2019 6:39 AM

Alan Hopper

May 16, 2019, 11:00:19 AM5/16/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi John,
that version of Spark should be fine and you should not have to install anything else.  I wonder if the issue is the radio not getting a DCHP ip address as it is plugged directly into the laptop, if you have a wifi/adsl router you could try plugging it into that to test.  There are ways to make it work without dchp but I can't remember the whole story off the top of my head.
73 Alan M0NNB
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to hermes-lite+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Steve Haynal

May 16, 2019, 11:15:18 AM5/16/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Dickie,

I heard from Makerfabs last night. They shipped ~40 units a few days ago. They hope to ship about the same number next week. There are some units not passing the screening test, so they have to order replacement parts and make repairs. The last 10 or 20 units ordered may take longer to ship because of this.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Steve Haynal

May 16, 2019, 11:19:41 AM5/16/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi John,

Your LED pattern indicates 1Gbs connection but not DHCP IP was assigned. See:

The best is to plug the HL2 into your router as Alan suggests.

With no DHCP, the HL2 unit uses an APIPA address:

For direct connection to a laptop, you must set the wired port to use the APIPA address range. I think Quisk will automatically try that if no HL2 in your subnet is found.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Youtube Replyer

May 16, 2019, 11:32:14 AM5/16/19
to Hermes-Lite

That worked Alan, HL plugged directly into a router port.

Touching a wire on to the antenna input pin brings up the receiver noise level.
I will try tuning around after I have soldered a connector to the antenna wire.

Thank you,
John G3UGY

ROBERT ENTWISTLE

May 16, 2019, 11:36:52 AM5/16/19
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite
Steve,

Do you happen to know if the Group Buy units are going out on a priority basis (in advance of the units bought from MakerFabs directly)? Reason I ask is I have a friend that bought from MakerFabs directly, I bought in the group buy. He has gotten DHL notification, I have not.

Thanks and 73,

Robert, WA2T

Paul Marbourg

May 16, 2019, 11:24:58 PM5/16/19
to ROBERT ENTWISTLE, Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite
I enquired recently about the status of my (group buy) order with MakerFabs. Vivi of MakerFabs replied by email that the second batch of HL2s are scheduled to ship out next Tuesday,  May 21st, from China via DHL. My order is in this group.
Cheers,
Paul
WN7T

Sent from my iPhone

rentwist

May 17, 2019, 8:44:12 AM5/17/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Paul,

Thanks for that.  I submitted my own enquiry just now, I will see what they say.

73,

Robert, WA2T
WN7T
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to herme...@googlegroups.com.

rentwist

May 17, 2019, 8:45:35 AM5/17/19
to Hermes-Lite
P.S.  I like your call, it seems somehow familiar ;-)  It has the exact same number of CW elements too!

Sid Boyce

May 17, 2019, 9:12:45 AM5/17/19
to herme...@googlegroups.com
Mine delivered by FEDEX 10 minutes ago.
73 ... Sid.
> test, but backup replacement units for field failures.Â
>
> 73,
>
> Steve
> kf7o
>

> On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 5:24:00 PM UTC-7, Steve Haynal wrote:
>
> Hi Group,
>
> Makerfabs has sent me the rest of my allotment of HL2 and
> N2ADR filter boards. Below are 12 units, all nicely boxed.
> Makerfabs wants me to do a final check of these units
> before they ship to individuals. I will test over the
> weekend and let the group and Makerfabs know how it goes.
>
> 73,
>
> Steve
> kf7o
>
> hl2b8.jpg
>

> On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 8:48:20 PM UTC-7, Steve
> Haynal wrote:
>
> Hi Group,
>
> Good news! The first two units have been
> programmed and passed the tests. At first
> www.makerfabs.com <http://www.makerfabs.com> was
> using a Raspberry Pi 3 model B with a silver
> BCM2837B0 and the FPGA was not detected for
> programming. This is the same CPU as the B+ but on
> the B pcb board. I didn't know they even made
> those. Once they switched to a Raspberry Pi 3
> model B with the black BCM2837, the same as my
> unit, the programming worked. All the tests passed
> except for the last rise in temperature test. In
> this test, the PA is keyed at low power and the
> temperature change after a couple of seconds is
> measured. They are seeing a ~1.75 degree rise
> where I saw a ~0.75 degree rise on my unit. I
> think they are seeing better thermal transfer with
> their PCBs. It looks like the may have used an
> ENIG finish. I waived this failure, and changed it
> to be passing if less than a 2.5 degree rise.
> Below are some pictures they sent.
>
> 73,
>
> Steve
> kf7o
>

> --

Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support
Senior Staff Specialist, Cricket Coach
Microsoft Windows Free Zone - Linux used for all Computing Tasks

Duncan Clark

May 17, 2019, 1:14:01 PM5/17/19
to herme...@googlegroups.com
In message <6ED2F92DB39B4C1E8516AC831D45EF43@unknownacer>, 'RHQQ2YXRKT'
via Hermes-Lite writes
>My HL-2 has just been delivered,

Mine arrived this morning, Friday, via TNT.

Duncan
--
Duncan Clark
G4ELJ

Ulf Tjerneld

May 17, 2019, 2:27:22 PM5/17/19
to Duncan Clark, herme...@googlegroups.com

Mine too!

Anyone else in SM?

/Ulf – SM0NOR

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

May 20, 2019, 8:43:56 AM5/20/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve, My HL-2 + N2ADR arrive this morning about an hour ago, having unpacked it & on inspection I discover damage as you describe to the pair of SMA sockets on the filter PCB, such that it is impossible to fit the plug, this must have occurred after test & final inspection as it would be impossible to arrange the test rig as shown in other posts!! The damage could not have occurred during transit, far too well packed. Looking at the SMAs from the front the damage to the outer ring is at 12 0'clock. Using a pair of round nosed pliers to try & reform the ring , a piece about 3mm long just snapped off, very brittle, after which the plug inserts fully. I have not as yet attempted to power up & test or reform the other socket, that's for later this evening.

On the issue of fitting the case in another post, my boards fit perfectly no binding a nice sliding fit. the case I bought was the third in your list $9.50 including P&P, the slots are 1.96 mm wide

Dickie G0PWC.>>>

Steve Haynal

May 20, 2019, 1:20:41 PM5/20/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Brian,

My SMA damage was at about 12 o'clock too. Were your SMAs near the heat sealed end of the static sensitive bag? Maybe the machine they use to heat seal the bags is causing the damage. For example, the technician inserts the bag too far on a first attempt, the machine damages the SMA connectors, then the technician succeeds on the next attempt after pulling the bag out a little.

I have replacement SMA connectors if you'd like me to send you some.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Marty Wittrock

May 21, 2019, 10:57:18 AM5/21/19
to Hermes-Lite
I took delivery of my HL2 yesterday (May 20th) and here's what it looked like - I'm seeing no damage that I can detect and will power it up tonight and check it out. Does anyone have information on what the power connection is (what the mating plug is)?

20190520_193601.jpg

20190520_192635.jpg

20190520_192620_001.jpg

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Steve Haynal

May 21, 2019, 11:05:02 AM5/21/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Marty,

The pictures look good. The power connector is 2.1mm center pin, 5.5mm outer diameter. This is a pretty common size. You can find wall warts at a thrift shop with the correct connector and cut the cable off to work with a better power supply. All the information is on the wiki getting started page:

73,

Steve
kf7o

Jan Holm

May 21, 2019, 11:54:59 AM5/21/19
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve

Just to be sure - the center pin is positive (+) 12V ?
I havn't checked the schematic and can't read that from the documentation.

73 OZ1OY, Jan

Steve Haynal

May 21, 2019, 12:08:33 PM5/21/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Jan,

Yes, the center pin should be +12V.

73,

Steve
kf7o
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to hermes-lite+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Marty Wittrock

May 21, 2019, 10:13:49 PM5/21/19
to Hermes-Lite
My Hermes Lite 2 works WONDERFUL right out of the chute and attached to a router, running OpenHPSDR. See the link below to see it receive on 40m tonight - Transmit video to follow in a few days once I have a decent heatsink and a case for this rig...Stay tuned...Video link follows...

73 de Marty, KN0CK
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to herme...@googlegroups.com.

Simon Brown

May 22, 2019, 12:31:12 AM5/22/19
to Hermes-Lite

Marty,

This is unfair! I ordered at least two weeks before you, my order hasn’t moved.

Hey-Ho,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

May 22, 2019, 6:42:44 AM5/22/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve, I have checked the packing & there are definite marks on the bag coinciding with the sockets so you might be on the right track, and yes please I would like to replace the SMAs but that is the least of my problems as I am unable to get the HL2 to work!!! that is respond to the Ethernet.

I have the HL2 connected to a current limiting PSU running on 13.5 volts & draws a current of 200 ma
I have checked the derived voltages ie 3.5, 8 volts etc
Never seen so much as a flicker from any of the LEDs D2 to D5.
Attempted the run under Quisk 4.1.39 using Linux Mint 19.1 following your set up video.
Attempted to run using Spark sdr in Windows 10, In this case the green LED on the HL2 Ethernet socket flashes every time "Discover" is clicked.
However connected the Amber lamp is alight in the Ethernet socket, the green flashes intermittently.
I have tried with the Firewall switched OFF in both my Router & Windows, it was not on in Linux.
I have replaced the Ethernet cables with known good ones & swapped the LAN ports on my Router.
Had considerable help over Skype from someone who knows much more about Internet Protocol than me, (Not that that would be difficult Hi)
Hoping you have some "Pearls of wisdom"

Dickie G0PWC.>>>

gerry kavanagh

May 22, 2019, 7:19:29 AM5/22/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Dickie...
Did you do all the resistance checks before applying power?
Any devices getting hot?
/ Gerry

Brian Dawe

May 22, 2019, 8:19:50 AM5/22/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Gerry, no nothing gets hot the AD9866 high side of warm, the FPGA barely warm....Dickie.>>>

Jan Holm

May 22, 2019, 8:28:50 AM5/22/19
to gerry kavanagh, Hermes-Lite
I think my HL2 build 8 has the same problems as Dickie.
Current is 200 mA idle, rise to 240 mA when Ethernet cable plug in.
No LED's lights and I only hear a relay click when the power is turned on/offf.
Cant feel any hot component and will try to do the resistance measure.

Tried Quisk/Linux and Powersdr/Windows, but no device was found. Ealier Quisk was okay with my Red Pitaya sdr. I configured a Hermes HL following the video.

I have done some Wireshark measure on the HL2-port, but couldn't see any activity on the HL2. I could be my problem, because it is a while since I have done Ethernet measurements.

Will report back my resistance measure later.

OZ1OY, Jan

Jan Holm

May 22, 2019, 8:57:12 AM5/22/19
to gerry kavanagh, Hermes-Lite
There was no resistance measument under 500 ohm.
For the documentation, I have measured the following:
+3V3 - GND: 1,5 kohm
+2V5 - GND: 792 ohm
+1V2 - GND: 637 ohm
Vbias - GND: 143 kohm
Vsupply - GND: more than 20 Mohm
Vop - GND: 1,64 kohm
Vpa - GND: 17,5 kohm
+3V3 - +2V5: 1,55 kohm
+3V3 - +1V2: 1,44 kohm
+2V5 - +1V2: 1,38 kohm

OZ1OY, Jan

Marty Wittrock

May 22, 2019, 9:53:31 AM5/22/19
to Hermes-Lite
Simon,

....Luck of the Irish..? :) !

Not sure why the member orders are taking the longest to ship. I placed my order with Makerfabs directly and they shot it out to me when all the boards were confirmed working. I also paid extra for DHL shipping that got it here (Belle Plaine, Iowa) in 3 days with tracking. Ironically, my package hit the Cincinnati DHL hub the same morning (last Friday) I arrived at the Dayton (Xenia) Hamfest making it that I was only 60-some miles away from my package at the hub while it was in transit to Iowa. But it was delivered on Monday (the packaging could have been better) and after I examined it the board played perfect. I had it on last night for over 5 hours listening to practically everything (except AM Broadcast) from 80m to the 30m SW band...Wonderful receive. I need to heatsink it in a few days (I have the specified 150mm x 106mm x 55mm case coming) and will packaged this up by next Tuesday. If I can find a suitable heatsink in the meantime, I'll try transmitting WSPR with it over the weekend.

You're gonna love this board, Simon...It'll be cool to see SDRConsole playing with it soon. It does appear to follow the protocol of prior Hermes boards because it plays fine on OpenHPSDR for receive - not sure about transmit. I'm also going to apply it to PiHPSDR and see how it plays, too, later this evening. That should give you some advance clues on how your code's going to play on that board.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Simon Brown

May 22, 2019, 10:13:54 AM5/22/19
to Marty Wittrock, Hermes-Lite

Hi,

I also ordered directly with Makerfabs, maybe it’s a LIFO queuing system 😊 .

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

May 22, 2019, 10:20:41 AM5/22/19
to Hermes-Lite
I heard from a couple others that received their boards on Monday as well, shipped from MakerFabs also.

Anyone have a feel for the delivery dates on the Original orders yet, or which carrier they may be coming from?

Thanks, Walter/K5WH

Jan Holm

May 22, 2019, 10:28:43 AM5/22/19
to Walter Holmes, Hermes-Lite
Hi Walter

Mine was one of the Original orders and I received it with DHL May 16.

OZ1OY/Jan

ROBERT ENTWISTLE

May 22, 2019, 10:34:10 AM5/22/19
to Simon Brown, Marty Wittrock, Hermes-Lite
I ordered with the group buy, from the looks of things, those orders (to the US) will be the last to be sent :-(

Being mature about it though (which is tough for me!), my MF enquiry reply said that my order would be going out today and I paid for the DHL expedited shipping. So my new toy (remember, be mature about it! ;-) will be here soon...

73,

Robert, WA2T

Jim Ancona

May 22, 2019, 10:42:32 AM5/22/19
to ROBERT ENTWISTLE, Simon Brown, Marty Wittrock, Hermes-Lite
I also did the group buy and got a DHL shipment notification this morning saying that it will arrive by EOD tomorrow, even though I didn't pay for expedited shipping.

Jim
N1ADJ

Roger Rehr

May 22, 2019, 11:42:16 AM5/22/19
to Hermes-Lite
Here is another data point:

Ordered direct from Makerfabs on April 18, 2019.
Received Monday 5/20 in Pennsylvania via DHL.
Removed from box Tuesday 5/21 and visual inspection including SMA connectors all OK.
Powered up for first time today 5/22 with PowerSDR mRx 3.4.9 via 1GB switch; Rx tested/works 1.8 - 30 MHz without identified problems. Did not test Tx.
All PowerSDR settings per Steve's video at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97UZi8qYAKM&feature=youtu.be

FPGA is not hot to touch, maybe very slightly warm (not enough to be sure).  So no problem in this regard.

Well Done Steve and Makerfabs!

Good luck to all and 73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ

Steve Haynal

May 22, 2019, 11:42:38 AM5/22/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Jan and Dickie,

Sorry to hear your HL2s are not working. Can you please try the following:

** Disconnect ethernet, antenna and N2ADR board, and power just the HL2. Do you see LED D2 (closest to ethernet jack) blinking and LED D5 (farthest from ethernet jack) solid? See the wiki for idle mode LED use:

** Do you measure all the expected voltages? In particular 1.2V, 2.5V and 3.3V (Dickie reported 3.5V, is that correct?) that supply the FPGA.

** Please post high resolution photos (phone camera is usually okay) of the front and back of your HL2.

** What is the date on your original order confirmation from Makerfabs? Can you forward this to me privately? In case we need to do a repair/replacement, I'd like to know who will handle it.

Do either of you have or have access to an Altera USB Blaster? The next step is to try and reflash the FPGA's EEPROM. Your symptoms make me think the FPGA's EEPROM was not flashed properly. At Makerfabs, the gateware is flashed to the EEPROM (nonvolatile copy) and then written directly to the FPGA for testing (volatile). It may be that the first step did not complete properly yet since the second step programmed the FPGA, all subsequent tests could pass. I need to go back and see exactly what happens here.

There is more information about the USB blaster here:
Note that some models have trouble with Windows, and will only do volatile programming under LInux. But even if you can just do volatile programming under Linux, we can program the FPGA then use use the network method to do nonvolatile programming.

73,

Steve
kf7o

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 5:57:12 AM UTC-7, Jan OZ1OY wrote:
There was no resistance measument under 500 ohm.
For the documentation, I have measured the following:
+3V3 - GND: 1,5 kohm
+2V5 - GND: 792 ohm
+1V2 - GND: 637 ohm
Vbias - GND: 143 kohm
Vsupply - GND: more than 20 Mohm
Vop - GND: 1,64 kohm
Vpa - GND: 17,5 kohm
+3V3 - +2V5: 1,55 kohm
+3V3 - +1V2: 1,44 kohm
+2V5 - +1V2: 1,38 kohm

OZ1OY, Jan

Den ons. 22. maj 2019 kl. 14.28 skrev Jan Holm
I think my HL2 build 8 has the same problems as Dickie.
Current is 200 mA idle, rise to 240 mA when Ethernet cable plug in.
No LED's lights and I only hear a relay click when the power is turned on/offf.
Cant feel any hot component and will try to do the resistance measure.

Tried Quisk/Linux and Powersdr/Windows, but no device was found. Ealier Quisk was okay with my Red Pitaya sdr. I configured a Hermes HL following the video.

I have done some Wireshark measure on the HL2-port, but couldn't see any activity on the HL2. I could be my problem, because it is a while since I have done Ethernet measurements.

Will report back my resistance measure later.

OZ1OY, Jan
Den ons. 22. maj 2019 kl. 13.19 skrev gerry kavanagh
Hi Dickie...

Marty Wittrock

May 22, 2019, 11:43:13 AM5/22/19
to Hermes-Lite
Simon,

I was going to mention that (LIFO), but thought it best to hold back on it...It does appear to have that LIFO feel to their shipping...pretty crazy...

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Steve Haynal

May 22, 2019, 11:49:09 AM5/22/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

The paranoid side of me does think that Makerfabs might be using LIFO for their shipping. Since they are responsible for the units selling after April 1, they shipped the highest confidence units to the late customers first to minimize their risk.

I have not discussed this with Makerfabs, so don't really know what order they are fulfilling orders in. I will ask them.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Simon Brown

May 22, 2019, 11:53:05 AM5/22/19
to Hermes-Lite

Steve,

This is not a complaint on my part – I actually have heaps of other code to write. When the HL2 arrives, I’ll be able to concentrate on it.

Jan OZ1OY

May 22, 2019, 2:57:14 PM5/22/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve
See some answers below:
Image of my board:

20190522_202337.jpg

20190522_202436.jpg

20190522_202454.jpg

73 OZ1OY, Jan

onsdag den 22. maj 2019 kl. 17.42.38 UTC+2 skrev Steve Haynal:
Hi Jan and Dickie,

Sorry to hear your HL2s are not working. Can you please try the following:

** Disconnect ethernet, antenna and N2ADR board, and power just the HL2. Do you see LED D2 (closest to ethernet jack) blinking and LED D5 (farthest from ethernet jack) solid? See the wiki for idle mode LED use:
No LED activity at all.

** Do you measure all the expected voltages? In particular 1.2V, 2.5V and 3.3V (Dickie reported 3.5V, is that correct?) that supply the FPGA.
Vsupply = 12,93V
+3V3 = 3,23V, +2V5 = 2,47V, +1V2 = 1,19V

** Please post high resolution photos (phone camera is usually okay) of the front and back of your HL2.

** What is the date on your original order confirmation from Makerfabs? Can you forward this to me privately? In case we need to do a repair/replacement, I'd like to know who will handle it.
Sent to you directly
Do either of you have or have access to an Altera USB Blaster? The next step is to try and reflash the FPGA's EEPROM. Your symptoms make me think the FPGA's EEPROM was not flashed properly. At Makerfabs, the gateware is flashed to the EEPROM (nonvolatile copy) and then written directly to the FPGA for testing (volatile). It may be that the first step did not complete properly yet since the second step programmed the FPGA, all subsequent tests could pass. I need to go back and see exactly what happens here.
No, but I have burned the test image to RaspBerry Pi. I have a new Pi 3 Model B+ and an old Pi 2 Model B v.1.1. But I can only get the image to run at the old Pi 2 model.

Marc OLANIE

May 22, 2019, 4:29:34 PM5/22/19
to Jan OZ1OY, Hermes-Lite

Hi Steve, Jan et All

Is it normal that all grounding “sole” (regulators, fpga, ADC/DAC, Phy… ) are not soldered ?

It didn’t seems to create any trouble on a “Build8” board I tested 3 days ago in France, but we had erratic behaviors some months ago with our “hand-soldered build7” series for this very same question. It could be one of the cause.

A “no led at all” looks like a gateware problem, but if Jan  succeed flashing it’s board with a Raspberry, I would probably check the soldering of the fpga, particularly on the left hand side of the circuit

My 2 cts

Marc f6itu

Brian Dawe

May 22, 2019, 5:34:50 PM5/22/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve, powered up as requested, no LEDs at all, voltages 13.75, 1.2, 2.49, 3.31 & 7.93. Pictures attached.

de Dickie G0PWC.>>>
DSCF0020.JPG
DSCF0021.JPG

Paul Marbourg

May 22, 2019, 6:20:10 PM5/22/19
to Brian Dawe, Hermes-Lite
Hi group,
Received HL2 shipping confirmation via carrier DHL this morning for my order placed with MakerFabs on March 26th. Projected carrier delivery date is May 28th to Seattle, WA. I must have selected the “slow boat” shipping option at the time of placing my order.
73
Paul WN7T
Sent from my iPhone
<DSCF0020.JPG>
<DSCF0021.JPG>

Steve Haynal

May 23, 2019, 12:24:13 AM5/23/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Marc,

The ADC, FPGA and Phy are soldered on the hidden thermal pad. It is hard to see in the pictures as it is very little solder. A very thin layer of solder is how it should be and what we want as solder is not a good thermal conductor.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Steve Haynal

May 23, 2019, 12:25:06 AM5/23/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Paul,

Sometimes DHL pulls their delivery in by several days. You may get a notice tomorrow or Friday saying it is arriving that day...

73,

Steve
kf7o
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to hermes-lite+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
<DSCF0020.JPG>
<DSCF0021.JPG>

Steve Haynal

May 23, 2019, 1:22:18 AM5/23/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Dickie and Jan,

Thanks for the debug. Since you both have no LED activity, my theory is that the FPGA EEPROM programming step failed at Makerfabs. Unfortunately, that step does not halt on failure so it is entirely possible the message was missed and all other testing steps completed successfully. I will have to fix that step for the next round. It would be very unlikely that Makerfabs shipped a unit if they saw failures, so I think all other tests passed. A FPGA EEPROM programming failure is most likely not a bad board. The Raspberry Pi programming setup is sensitive to noise on the connection between the RPi and the HL2, and it will fail every so often due to this noise. You both indicated that you have a Raspberry Pi, so I would like you to try to flash the HL2 gateware with your RPi. I have created a small package that can be used with any recent Rasbian and either the 3B (black CPU) or 3B+ (silver CPU), maybe even older RPis. If this turns out to be too difficult, we can discuss other ways of flashing the HL2. I am trying to avoid the time and expense of sending the units to me.

** Install or use a recent version of Rasbian. I tested with the April 2019 release of "Rasbian stretch with desktop." I suspect this will work with any 2017 or later RPi Linux OS, including Rasbian installed via NOOBS.

** Connect your HL2 to the RPi as described on the wiki page below. Make sure these connections are short and solid.

** Download the hl2program.tgz package to your RPi. You can use the browser that comes with your RPi, or sftp to another PC. The link is below. I will also send e-mail to you with this attached.

** Power up your HL2 while it is connected to the powered on RPi. No ethernet, antenna or loopback is required.

** In a terminal where you downloaded hl2program.tgz, type the following commands:

tar xzf hl2program.tgz
cd hl2program
sudo ./programjic

** You should see a message similar to the one in the readme.txt file in the hl2program subdirectory. If you experience failures, make sure all your connections are short and solid and try again. You may have to try 5 or 6 times if your setup is noisy.

** If you succeed, turn off the HL2, disconnect, and try to use as normal

Please let me know how this goes for you.

cbarthod

May 23, 2019, 1:23:16 AM5/23/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Marc,

And how did you solve this issue ?

73s Christian F8GHE

Envoyé depuis mon smartphone Samsung Galaxy.

Jan OZ1OY

May 23, 2019, 11:16:25 AM5/23/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve and all
I think the programming of the FPGA helped :-)
I was away most of the day, but did a quick programming following the tools on your image.
Allow me to post console output from the programming here:
Jam STAPL Player Version 2.5 (20040526)
Copyright (C) 1997-2004 Altera Corporation

[RPi] Initialize GPIO hardware
[RPi] Raspberry PI gpio mapped at 0x0x76fe3000
[RPi] Using the following GPIO pins for JTAG programming:
[RPi] TCK on BCM GPIO 21 P1 pin 40
[RPi] TDI on BCM GPIO 12 P1 pin 32
[RPi] TDO on BCM GPIO 20 P1 pin 38
[RPi] TMS on BCM GPIO 16 P1 pin 36
Device #1 IDCODE is 020F30DD
configuring SRAM device(s)...
DONE
Exit code = 0... Success
[RPi] closed JTAG
SUCCESS: Initial configure
Jam STAPL Player Version 2.5 (20040526)
Copyright (C) 1997-2004 Altera Corporation

[RPi] Initialize GPIO hardware
[RPi] Raspberry PI gpio mapped at 0x0x76fa1000
[RPi] Using the following GPIO pins for JTAG programming:
[RPi] TCK on BCM GPIO 21 P1 pin 40
[RPi] TDI on BCM GPIO 12 P1 pin 32
[RPi] TDO on BCM GPIO 20 P1 pin 38
[RPi] TMS on BCM GPIO 16 P1 pin 36
Device #1 is EPCS16
erasing ASC device(s) in sector mode...
programming ASC device(s) in sector mode...
CRC verify ASC device(s) in sector mode...
DONE
Exit code = 0... Success
[RPi] closed JTAG
SUCCESS: Program
Jam STAPL Player Version 2.5 (20040526)
Copyright (C) 1997-2004 Altera Corporation

[RPi] Initialize GPIO hardware
[RPi] Raspberry PI gpio mapped at 0x0x76fba000
[RPi] Using the following GPIO pins for JTAG programming:
[RPi] TCK on BCM GPIO 21 P1 pin 40
[RPi] TDI on BCM GPIO 12 P1 pin 32
[RPi] TDO on BCM GPIO 20 P1 pin 38
[RPi] TMS on BCM GPIO 16 P1 pin 36
Device #1 IDCODE is 020F30DD
configuring SRAM device(s)...
DONE
Exit code = 0... Success
[RPi] closed JTAG
SUCCESS: Final configure

LED's are blinking and the test shown that HL2 got a valid IP-adr.

Many thank for all your help and I will come later/tomorrow with more info's.

73 OZ1OY, Jan

Jim Smith

May 23, 2019, 11:28:55 AM5/23/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve,

My HL2 arrived yesterday (22/5) from Makerfabs.  Only tested on rx so far, and it worked first time, no problems.

Many thanks

73

Jim - G3ZQC

On Saturday, April 27, 2019 at 10:34:15 PM UTC-7, Steve Haynal wrote:
[...]

Steve Haynal

May 23, 2019, 12:18:15 PM5/23/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Jan,

That is great news! Sorry you had to deal with this hassle. The Hermes-Lite 2.0 is still experimental. When you get around to transmitting, I would like to know if the PA bias currents are properly set. With no signal but TX engaged, you should see 170 to 210 mA current reported by software. It will increase towards the high end as the PA heats up. If the PA bias is set, this would confirm that Makerfabs did complete the tests, but the early programming failure was missed as the test procedure did not halt.

73,

Steve
kf7o
It is loading more messages.