HLv2 Beta3 Magjack LED Luminance

Takashi K

Aug 19, 2017, 9:04:18 PM8/19/17
to Hermes-Lite
Hi all,

Magjack LEDs are still a little bit dim, but not so serious.
I will replace 270 ohms resisters with 150 ohms.

73, Taka  ji1udd

Magjacl_LED_Luminance_vs_series_resistor.png

Steve Haynal

Aug 28, 2017, 12:39:30 AM8/28/17
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Taka,

Thanks for testing this. How hot does your 2.5V regulator U17 become with this modification? I am a bit concerned regarding the current draw from the 2.5V regulator and would prefer to run the ethernet LEDs from the 3.3V supply if possible. Also, the 2.5V supply is used primarily for the FPGA analog portions and I'd like to keep that as quiet as possible. Do you think you can test if the 3.3V supply can be used? Also, there are footprints for R131, R132, R133 and R134 to facilitate this experimentation.

73,

Steve
KF7O

Takashi K

Aug 31, 2017, 7:52:29 AM8/31/17
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve,

> Do you think you can test if the 3.3V supply can be used?
I have verified the 3.3V operaion of LEDs.
There is no problem. LEDs and Ethernet work well.

I attached the schematic for modification, my modified mdio.v and LEDs photo.
When 330 ohms resistors were used for both yellow and green LEDs, green LED was a bit dim.
Therefore I used 220 ohms resistor for the green LED.

> Also, the 2.5V supply is used primarily for the FPGA
> analog portions and I'd like to keep that as quiet as possible.
I think this is the best solution for this issue.

73, Taka  ji1udd

MagjackLED_3P3V_setting_schematic_170831.png
MagjackLED_3P3V_setting_photo_170831.png
mdio.v

Steve Haynal

Aug 31, 2017, 11:34:22 PM8/31/17
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Taka,

Thanks for the modification! I will apply it and test this weekend. I'll release firmware and make this the standard configuration if all goes well.

73,

Steve
KF7O