CFEngine 3.6 Literature

Guillem Liarte

Sep 18, 2014, 8:31:38 AM9/18/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

It seems clear that there are many features  in 3.6 that are substantially different than previous versions. TLS, Mustache templates, etc

When would we expect to find a CFEngine 3.6 book available?

I find most of the existing books based on 3.0 to be quite outdated now.

Is there a good one volume PDF that contains a complete end-to-end information up to 3.6? The manuals in the CFEngine website are now dispersed and getting more a more vague overtime.

Many thanks in advance!

Guillem

Marco Marongiu

Sep 18, 2014, 9:44:01 AM9/18/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
On 09/18/2014 02:31 PM, Guillem Liarte wrote:
> Is there a good one volume PDF that contains a complete end-to-end
> information up to 3.6? The manuals in the CFEngine website are now
> dispersed and getting more a more vague overtime.

there's Diego Zamboni's book that covers up to 3.5.something and it's a
very good one. We all hope that he'll keep on updating it even if he's
not a CFEngine (the company) employee any more.

Shall we start sending him one mail a day, each one of us, asking him to
update the book? :-D ;-)

Ciao!
-- bronto

Neil Watson

Sep 18, 2014, 9:50:48 AM9/18/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 03:43:56PM +0200, Marco Marongiu wrote:
>Shall we start sending him one mail a day, each one of us, asking him to
>update the book? :-D ;-)

Diego should try a kickstarter campaign.

--
Neil H Watson
Sr. Partner, Architecture and Infrastructure

Nick Anderson

Sep 18, 2014, 9:51:51 AM9/18/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
On 09/18/2014 08:43 AM, Marco Marongiu wrote:
> there's Diego Zamboni's book that covers up to 3.5.something and it's a
> very good one. We all hope that he'll keep on updating it even if he's
> not a CFEngine (the company) employee any more.
>
> Shall we start sending him one mail a day, each one of us, asking him to
> update the book? :-D ;-)

As far as I know Diego still intends to update the book but I don't know
what his schedule is for it.

Marco Marongiu

Sep 18, 2014, 10:08:55 AM9/18/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
On 09/18/2014 03:51 PM, Nick Anderson wrote:
> As far as I know Diego still intends to update the book but I don't know
> what his schedule is for it.

that's my point, let's blackmail him :-D :-)

Diego, I'm joking, OK? ;-)

Diego Zamboni

Sep 22, 2014, 12:03:12 AM9/22/14
to Nick Anderson, Diego Zamboni, help-c...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

Sorry I'd been silent on this thread - somehow I hadn't seen it until Nick mentioned it a couple of days ago.

Indeed, my plan is to continue to update the book for as long as possible. As you may know, I started a new job a few weeks ago, and it's kept be busy so I haven't made as much progress as I'd like to, but it certainly will happen. Just bear with me :)

And no, there's no need to email me daily. I'm looking at you, Marco ;)

Cheers,
--Diego

Marco Marongiu

Sep 22, 2014, 1:48:47 AM9/22/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
On 09/22/2014 06:03 AM, Diego Zamboni wrote:
> And no, there's no need to email me daily. I'm looking at you, Marco ;)

Damn, I spent already a few hours writing a mailer that could circumvent
filters... :-\

:-D

Guillem Liarte

Sep 23, 2014, 4:17:27 AM9/23/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com, ni...@cmdln.org, di...@zzamboni.org
Diego,

Good to hear. I am about to embark into a re-design and migratuion from CFEngine2 to CFengine 3.6 .  This is for an environment of about 3000+ hosts. I would love to collaborate with experiences and suggestions if you are open to it as well as to receive ideas from you and others. My former big experience is with Puppet, but I have taken CFEngine v2 in the two projects and finally a move to CF3 is finally happening.

Let me know please.

Guillem

Neil Watson

Sep 23, 2014, 8:10:20 AM9/23/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guillem,

I'm working with AMD to migrate their massive, (cf2 + modules = 20,000+
lines of code) cf2 infrastructure to CFEngine 3. Feel free to contact me
anytime.

Sincerely,

Bas van der Vlies

Sep 23, 2014, 10:04:03 AM9/23/14
to Guillem Liarte, help-c...@googlegroups.com, ni...@cmdln.org, di...@zzamboni.org
Just post your question to the list. I have also ported our cfengine2 to cfengine3 environment.

regards
---
Bas van der Vlies
| Operations, Support & Development | SURFsara | Science Park 140 | 1098 XG Amsterdam
| T +31 (0) 20 800 1300 | bas.van...@surfsara.nl | www.surfsara.nl |

Diego Zamboni

Sep 23, 2014, 10:26:13 AM9/23/14
to Guillem Liarte, Diego Zamboni, help-c...@googlegroups.com, Nick Anderson
Hi Guillem,

I would love to get feedback from you as you go through the migration process. In particular, for the book, I like to focus on those "WTF moments" that you encounter as you learn a new tool, which make sense once you know it better, but that can be hard for someone just learning it.

Feel free to email me directly, but for general questions, I'd suggest sticking to the mailing list like Bas said, since there's a lot of people with CF2->CF3 migration experience here.

Best regards,
--Diego

Bryan Burke

Sep 24, 2014, 12:04:23 PM9/24/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
Same here. We currently have cf2 configuring Ubuntu 12.04, redhat5, redhat6. We're building a cf3 infrastructure for redhat7.

--
Bryan Burke
Sent from my iPhone