3.6.3rc is out, please test!

Dimitrios Apostolou

Nov 27, 2014, 5:22:27 PM11/27/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
Hello list,

the date is approaching for the release of CFEngine 3.6.3, another bugfix
release in the 3.6 series. As the changes are numerous, today we're
releasing the Release Candidate. Please test and report back your
findings!

Binaries:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/cfengine.package-repos/community_binaries/cfengine-community_3.6.3rc-1_i386.deb
http://s3.amazonaws.com/cfengine.package-repos/community_binaries/cfengine-community_3.6.3rc-1_amd64.deb
http://s3.amazonaws.com/cfengine.package-repos/community_binaries/cfengine-community-3.6.3rc-1.i386.rpm
http://s3.amazonaws.com/cfengine.package-repos/community_binaries/cfengine-community-3.6.3rc-1.x86_64.rpm

Source:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/cfengine.package-repos/tarballs/cfengine-3.6.3rc.tar.gz

Changelog:
https://github.com/cfengine/core/blob/3.6.3rc-build1/ChangeLog

SHA1 sums for all files published:
f2ba6eb28e4a387cc347f2281aa9aa71675b68c9 cfengine-community_3.6.3rc-1_amd64.deb
b3bd6287fa820793d187aa6ceb55ac13a484039b cfengine-community_3.6.3rc-1_i386.deb
4a00c35bd8f147b653eef3a61de6ddbb26c229b7 cfengine-community-3.6.3rc-1.i386.rpm
79008d737072bd67e4730c2d7f9dc1a27f798b55 cfengine-community-3.6.3rc-1.x86_64.rpm
19677b08f4437f2e61eb6baaaec3c2c04a6414b0 cfengine-3.6.3rc.tar.gz

Dimitrios Apostolou,
CFEngine AS

Diego Zamboni

Nov 28, 2014, 11:08:19 AM11/28/14
to Dimitrios Apostolou, Diego Zamboni, help-c...@googlegroups.com
Very nice list of fixes! I'll be testing it. My favorite:

- fix 4KB string limit in functions readfile, string_downcase,
string_head, string_reverse, string_length, string_tail,
string_upcase (Redmine #2912)

Yay! Does this fix propagate through other file-reading functions?

--Diego

Marco Marongiu

Nov 28, 2014, 11:12:35 AM11/28/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
On 11/28/2014 05:08 PM, Diego Zamboni wrote:
> Very nice list of fixes! I'll be testing it. My favorite:
>
> - fix 4KB string limit in functions readfile, string_downcase,
> string_head, string_reverse, string_length, string_tail,
> string_upcase (Redmine #2912)
>
> Yay! Does this fix propagate through other file-reading functions?

...and to insert_lines promises?

-- M

Dimitrios Apostolou

Nov 28, 2014, 2:12:01 PM11/28/14
to Diego Zamboni, Marco Marongiu, Dimitrios Apostolou, help-c...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Diego! But to give credit where credit is due, it's William
Orr that contributed the 4K fixes.

Whether the fixes affect other parts remains to be seen. One thing is
for sure: these are well contained fixes, not refactoring of any kind,
and that's the main reason they made it in 3.6.x. So I wouldn't set my
expectations high for fixing other problems.

By all means file bug reports for the other file-reading functions (or
insert_lines as Marco indicated) separately, or update existing bug
reports with the 3.6.3 behaviour.

Thanks!
Dimitris

Jonathan Clarke

Nov 29, 2014, 7:29:28 AM11/29/14
to Dimitrios Apostolou, help-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This is great news, and perfect timing! We at Normation are about to release version 3.0.0~beta1 of Rudder, and will include this rc in that, to get extra testing :)

I have encountered a build error on RHEL 5 and SLES 10 (see https://dev.cfengine.com/issues/6841). Is anyone else seeing this?

One question for you: in the changelog I see " experimental support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7". We have been testing on RHEL 7 for a while (using our own build of 3.6.0+patches, not the cfengine.com packages) and had no problems (other than having to rewrite policy to use systemd, etc). Could you point me to some more details about what this includes? (I'm happy to read a pull request if that's where the info is).

Aside from RHEL 5 and SLES 10, this rc seems to be working well. Great work, guys!

Thanks :)
Jonathan

Martin Simons

Nov 29, 2014, 11:59:42 AM11/29/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com, di...@zzamboni.org, bront...@gmail.com, ji...@cfengine.com
Dear Dimitrios,

Great effort!

I second your statement: a big chear for William Orr!

Best regards,
Martin.

Dimitrios Apostolou

Nov 29, 2014, 4:51:10 PM11/29/14
to Jonathan Clarke, Dimitrios Apostolou, help-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan!

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Jonathan Clarke
<jonatha...@normation.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is great news, and perfect timing! We at Normation are about to release
> version 3.0.0~beta1 of Rudder, and will include this rc in that, to get
> extra testing :)

Good news, all extra testing is much appreciated! Looking forward to
your Beta release!

> I have encountered a build error on RHEL 5 and SLES 10 (see
> https://dev.cfengine.com/issues/6841). Is anyone else seeing this?

No, our RHEL5 builds are successful. I commented on the ticket, if you
provide preprocessed output we'll be able to investigate further.

Regards,
Dimitris

Khushil Dep

Nov 29, 2014, 5:16:52 PM11/29/14
to Dimitrios Apostolou, help-c...@googlegroups.com
Will get some testing in but to confirm that Solaris will be maintained as a supported / computable platform?

Sent from my iPhone

Dimitrios Apostolou

Dec 1, 2014, 6:26:31 AM12/1/14
to Khushil Dep, Dimitrios Apostolou, help-c...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 11:16 PM, Khushil Dep <khush...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Will get some testing in but to confirm that Solaris will be maintained as a supported / computable platform?

Confirming this.

Dimitris

Sander Keemink

Dec 1, 2014, 9:08:25 AM12/1/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
Great work guys.
All the bugs I've posted seem to be solved.

Found one I dit not see before. Mostly because my policies never came this fare because of previous bugs.
Variable list names are not expanded any more when passing an entire list to a bundle.

Policy:

bundle agent main

{

vars:

       "list"     slist => { "1", "2", "3" };

       "var_list" string => "list";

methods:

       "array"  usebundle => test( "@{${this.bundle}.${var_list}}" );

}

bundle agent test(input)

{

 reports:

       "${input}";

}

Output 3.5.3 and 3.6.3

[root@enc ~]# cf-agent --version

CFEngine Core 3.5.3

[root@enc ~]# cf-agent -Kf ./var.cf

2014-05-24T00:14:40-0100   notice: R: 1

2014-05-24T00:14:40-0100   notice: R: 2

2014-05-24T00:14:40-0100   notice: R: 3

[root@enc ~]# rpm -U cfengine-community-3.6.3rc-1.x86_64.rpm

Shutting down cf-execd: [FAILED]

Shutting down cf-serverd: [FAILED]

Shutting down cf-monitord: [FAILED]

[root@enc ~]# cf-agent -Kf ./var.cf

2014-05-24T00:26:43-0100    error: /default/main/methods/'array'/default/test: List or container parameter '${this.bundle}.${var_list}' not found while constructing scope 'test' - use @(scope.variable) in calling reference
R: @{main.${var_list}}

Eystein Måløy Stenberg

Dec 1, 2014, 1:25:42 PM12/1/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
Yes, please see the documentation page for the list of supported
platforms:
https://docs.cfengine.com/docs/3.6/guide-latest-release-supported-platforms.html
--

Eystein

Brian Bennett

Dec 1, 2014, 2:51:05 PM12/1/14
to Khushil Dep, Dimitrios Apostolou, help-c...@googlegroups.com
I was able to build successfully on SmartOS, but I haven't had the chance to install/test it yet.

My build scripts are at http://github.com/bahamat/smartos-juicer/cfengine
Or you can grab the binary from http://pkgsrc.digitalelf.net/packages/ (IPv6 only, and you'll also need a copy of ldmb).

--
Brian Bennett
Looking for CFEngine training?

Brian Bennett

Dec 1, 2014, 5:25:53 PM12/1/14
to Eystein Måløy Stenberg, help-c...@googlegroups.com
That page states that Solaris 11 support is experimental because:

> On Solaris 11, networking related inventory information is not correctly discovered

Is there a redmine for this? I'd like to help, but I don't even know what the problem is.

--
Brian Bennett
Looking for CFEngine training?
Seats available for 4-day class beginning Feb 2, 2015
http://www.verticalsysadmin.com/

Eystein Måløy Stenberg

Dec 1, 2014, 5:38:35 PM12/1/14
to Brian Bennett, help-c...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, the item was very vague. I will improve the documentation.

The problem on Solaris 11 is network interfaces (sys.interfaces) and mac
addresses (sys.hardware_addresses as well as classes). It works on
Solaris 9 and 10, but 11 is apparently quite a bit different.

There is no public redmine on this, but please let us know if you are
able to diagnose / improve this (very appreciated!). You can use
cf-promises --show-vars and cf-promises --show-classes to see how it
looks on the various platforms.

On 01/12/14 14:25, Brian Bennett wrote:
> That page states that Solaris 11 support is experimental because:
>
>> On Solaris 11, networking related inventory information is not correctly discovered
>
> Is there a redmine for this? I'd like to help, but I don't even know what the problem is.

--

Eystein

William Orr

Dec 3, 2014, 4:43:47 PM12/3/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
This does not include a fix to insert_lines or other file-reading functions.

I have a patch to fix insert_lines coming this week.

signature.asc

Marco Marongiu

Dec 3, 2014, 5:13:09 PM12/3/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
On 12/03/2014 10:43 PM, William Orr wrote:
> I have a patch to fix insert_lines coming this week.

/me melts down in pleasure

Thanks a lot William!!!

Ciao
-- bronto

Nick Anderson

Dec 3, 2014, 9:39:33 PM12/3/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com, Sander Keemink
Hey Sander,

This looks like a good acceptance test for evaluation. Do you want to turn it into one or shall I?

Sent from my mobile device.

Bas van der Vlies

Dec 4, 2014, 1:56:51 AM12/4/14
to William Orr, help-c...@googlegroups.com
That is good news ;-)
---
Bas van der Vlies
| Operations, Support & Development | SURFsara | Science Park 140 | 1098 XG Amsterdam
| T +31 (0) 20 800 1300 | bas.van...@surfsara.nl | www.surfsara.nl |

Dimitrios Apostolou

Dec 4, 2014, 2:56:12 PM12/4/14
to Sander Keemink, help-c...@googlegroups.com
Is there a ticket for this? Thanks for all the testing!

Dimitris

Mr Naksu

Dec 9, 2014, 9:14:11 AM12/9/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com, kee...@gmail.com