Feedback: console output format experiments

Eystein Måløy Stenberg

Jul 21, 2014, 5:55:25 PM7/21/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

We are experimenting with a new output format for the console.
For the interested parties, I have attached a few samples from 3.6.0 vs.
3.6.m (the modified format).

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

--

Eystein
output-agent-3.6.0

Dimitrios Apostolou

Jul 21, 2014, 6:22:17 PM7/21/14
to Eystein Måløy Stenberg, help-c...@googlegroups.com
I never liked (or found useful) neither the timestamp prefix nor the length of all log lines (redmine 4667) so I'm positive on changing output format.

I *do* find useful the "verbose/info/notice/error/critical" prefix though. In this new output the "cf3" prefix seems redundant.

Dimitris

Peter Wood

Jul 21, 2014, 7:46:04 PM7/21/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com, Eystein Måløy Stenberg
I really like the new format. It's easier to read and understand. Definitely a big step forward.

-- Peter

GMail

Jul 21, 2014, 8:28:13 PM7/21/14
to Peter Wood, help-c...@googlegroups.com, Eystein Måløy Stenberg
You need timestamps. Use proper timestamps formats and that helps everyone. Logs without timestamps are a disaster waiting to happen. You also don't need cf3 in front of everything. What we could do with is a proper syslog output.

Sent from my iPhone

Erik S

Jul 21, 2014, 9:48:26 PM7/21/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, July 21, 2014 4:55:25 PM UTC-5, Eystein Stenberg wrote:
For the interested parties, I have attached a few samples from 3.6.0 vs.
3.6.m (the modified format).

Let me know what you think.

Looks clean and readable. (Similar to the legacy format?)

Eystein Måløy Stenberg

Jul 21, 2014, 10:44:46 PM7/21/14
to GMail, Peter Wood, help-c...@googlegroups.com
Khushil,

Do you think it is important with timestamps in the console output as
well (syslog timestamps everything)?

There is a tradeoff wrt to space (~20 characters of every line).

There are some tickets for making this configurable (some want
timestamps, some don't), but we need to find a sensible default for it
nonetheless.

Thanks for the feedback.

On 21/07/14 17:28, GMail wrote:
> You need timestamps. Use proper timestamps formats and that helps
> everyone. Logs without timestamps are a disaster waiting to happen. You
> also don't need cf3 in front of everything. What we could do with is a
> proper syslog output.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 22 Jul 2014, at 02:46, Peter Wood <peterw...@gmail.com
> <mailto:peterw...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> I really like the new format. It's easier to read and understand.
>> Definitely a big step forward.
>>
>> -- Peter
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Dimitrios Apostolou
>> <ji...@cfengine.com <mailto:ji...@cfengine.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I never liked (or found useful) neither the timestamp prefix nor
>> the length of all log lines (redmine 4667) so I'm positive on
>> changing output format.
>>
>> I *do* find useful the "verbose/info/notice/error/critical" prefix
>> though. In this new output the "cf3" prefix seems redundant.
>>

>> Dimitris
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 11:55 PM, Eystein Måløy Stenberg
>> <eystein.mal...@cfengine.com
>> <mailto:eystein.mal...@cfengine.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We are experimenting with a new output format for the console.
>> For the interested parties, I have attached a few samples from
>> 3.6.0 vs. 3.6.m (the modified format).
>>
>> Let me know what you think.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Eystein
>>
>> --
>> Visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/__group/help-cfengine
>> <http://groups.google.com/group/help-cfengine>.
>>

>> --
>>

>> --

Eystein

Bas van der Vlies

Jul 22, 2014, 4:28:27 AM7/22/14

On 21 jul. 2014, at 23:55, Eystein Måløy Stenberg <eystein.mal...@cfengine.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We are experimenting with a new output format for the console.
> For the interested parties, I have attached a few samples from 3.6.0 vs. 3.6.m (the modified format).
>
> Let me know what you think.

It is definitely more readable and as for me get rid of the ‘cf3-‘ prefix, make timestamps a option (default off). Syslog has timestamps but has it the same precision has cfengine?

There is still a huge output in the packages promise type. Can we just see if we match and then if then the version compare/ Instead of listing all packages. If we want more output just add multiple -vvv o you increase the level.

regards

---
Bas van der Vlies
| Operations, Support & Development | SURFsara | Science Park 140 | 1098 XG Amsterdam
| T +31 (0) 20 800 1300 | bas.van...@surfsara.nl | www.surfsara.nl |

Neil Watson

Jul 22, 2014, 8:59:43 AM7/22/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
From agent output:
1. cf> V: Computing value of "lldpctl_exec"
Could this also show the computed value of the variable? It saves time
versus having to cook up reports promises.

2. Agree that cf> prefix is not needed.

3. cf> Class identifier 'have_fs_/boot' contains illegal characters - canonifying
This message it not needed. Please remove.

4. cf> Additional promise info: handle 'cfe_internal_autorun_inventory_packages'
It's unclear what promise this is attached to. Is awkward. Handles,
comment, and meta tags should be at the beginning of the promise output.

5. I like the A:, C:, etc prefixes.

The server output is incomplete to judge. There are no visible agent
file requests.

Regarding timestamps. If one is logging to syslog timestamps are not
needed. If one is debugging to stdout, especially agent/server transactions,
timestamps are important. Make timestamps optional.

--
Neil H Watson
Compliance reporting with CFEngine Community http://evolvethinking.com/products/delta-reporting/

Ted Zlatanov

Jul 23, 2014, 3:00:29 AM7/23/14
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 19:44:40 -0700 Eystein Måløy Stenberg <eystein.mal...@cfengine.com> wrote:

EMS> There are some tickets for making this configurable (some want
EMS> timestamps, some don't), but we need to find a sensible default for
EMS> it nonetheless.

Throw 2 dice and add the value; then (first match wins):

12: jackpot, add prefix + timestamp
prime number: no prefix, timestamp
else: prefix, no timestamp

Only somewhat joking...