SyncStarter Proposal: one Ultimaker Complete Kit $1800

Prescott Ogden

Feb 11, 2012, 11:33:55 AM2/11/12
to HeatSync Labs
The Ultimaker is a kit-based 3D printer sold out of the Netherlands.

Cost: $1800

link: https://shop.ultimaker.com/en/ultimaker-kits/ultimaker-kit-new.html

The kit comes out to €1337.50 with insured shipping.
This is $1761.49 USD as of today, so $1800 to be safe. Any remaining
money is to be spent on improvements/materials or donated back to
SyncStarter matching fund. Item sponsor Prescott Ogden will make up
shortfalls.

NOTE: Lead time is quoted at 4-6 weeks, It took 9 for Isaac's to
arrive.

Environmental considerations:
Space: minimal, can fit on a desktop.
Power: minimal, uses a couple amps of 120 VAC
Fumes: minimal with PLA, smells like cooked sugar
Noise: Some, but not hazardous, nor unpleasant.
Safety: some pinching and burning hazards if you stick your hand
inside the machine.
Training: I intend this machine to be made available to everyone
without training and without requiring materials (filament) to be
replaced. I will, however, provide basic and advanced training to
interested individuals upon request (seriously, though, it's not that
complicated).

The Ultimaker is truly the hacker's 3D printer. It's large build area,
high printing speeds, low achievable layer heights, and multiple
firmware and toolpath generator options make the Ultimaker the number
1 DIY 3D printer kit for those interested in hacking the 3D printing
process itself.

The specifications are impressive, but if that's not enough you can
observe an Ultimaker in action at the space. Isaac is leaving his
Ultimaker at Heatsync for a limited time. If you would like to see
what all the fuss is about you can schedule a demonstration with me by
email. (please do not use Isaac's machine without his or my
permission) Alternately, you can trust me when I say that this machine
is far ahead of similarly priced competitors. (eg. Makerbot)

I pledge 100 American Dollars (5.6% of total).

Nate Plamondon

Feb 11, 2012, 11:58:22 AM2/11/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
I can chip in $50.

Also, really? €LEET.50? how apropos.
--
Nate Plamondon

Paul Hickey

Feb 11, 2012, 1:23:19 PM2/11/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Is there going to be free cert for a certain donation level like we did with the kickstarter. It'd definitely be a nice incentive

Prescott Ogden

Feb 11, 2012, 1:50:55 PM2/11/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
There is no cert. Everyone can use the machine. Ask me how and I will show you. This is the policy for the Fakerbot and an Ultimaker will be much harder to damage because it has end stops on both sides of each axis.

Paul Hickey

Feb 11, 2012, 2:28:29 PM2/11/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Awesome

Harry Meier

Feb 15, 2012, 5:43:02 PM2/15/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
I'm in for $100. Baby needs a new pair of 3D printed shoes.

Jasper Nance

Feb 15, 2012, 5:43:59 PM2/15/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
OMG THAT IS SOOOOOOO CUTE

I'm in for $100 because the kid videos win EVERY SINGLE TIME on funniest videos...

Jasper Nance - KE7PHI
Creative and Scientific Imagery
http://www.nebarnix.com/

Marita O

Feb 15, 2012, 6:51:13 PM2/15/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Well, since we are doing things for kids and it is my kid who started this, I am in for $100 also.

I will increase it to $200 if Prescott cleans his room by Sunday night.

Scott Bailey

Feb 15, 2012, 7:01:17 PM2/15/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Marita,

Clean is such a relative term...

Also put me down for $50 *if* Prescott cleans his room by Sunday night.

SB

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Marita O <arizon...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, since we are doing things for kids and it is my kid who started this, I am in for $100 also.

I will increase it to $200 if Prescott cleans his room by Sunday night.

--
Scott Bailey

Marita O

Feb 15, 2012, 7:46:05 PM2/15/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Scott,

Like many other relative terms, I will know it when I see it.  It has to make me happy enough to part with the extra $100.

If you would like I can provide documentation for you off line.

Marita

Paul Hickey

Feb 15, 2012, 7:48:20 PM2/15/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

I always pegged Prescott as a clean room kind of guy.

Marita O

Feb 15, 2012, 7:50:14 PM2/15/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Well.. hopefully by Sunday night he will be.

Will Bradley

Feb 15, 2012, 7:56:55 PM2/15/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

// is reminded of the lack of visible carpet in room due to clothes piles

Prescott Ogden

Feb 15, 2012, 7:59:59 PM2/15/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Will: accurate.

Will Bradley

Feb 15, 2012, 8:05:02 PM2/15/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

My solution: get rid of clothes until mess is no longer possible.

I'd be a troll and donate like $500 on the condition that your room is proven to remain dirty but I have no money right now  :P

Scott Bailey

Feb 15, 2012, 8:21:18 PM2/15/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Your say so is good enough.

Also,  Monday is a holiday...?

sent from a phone

Ben Stinnett

Feb 15, 2012, 10:22:21 PM2/15/12
to HeatSync Labs
Do I have to be a paying member to donate to the cause?

If not, count me in for $50.

On Feb 15, 6:21 pm, Scott Bailey <Bai...@InsaneGenius.org> wrote:
> Your say so is good enough.
>
> Also,  Monday is a holiday...?
>
> sent from a phone
> On Feb 15, 2012 5:46 PM, "Marita O" <arizonamar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Scott,
>
> > Like many other relative terms, I will know it when I see it.  It has to
> > make me happy enough to part with the extra $100.
>
> > If you would like I can provide documentation for you off line.
>
> > Marita
>
> > On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Scott Bailey <Bai...@insanegenius.org>wrote:
>
> >> Marita,
>
> >> Clean is such a relative term...
>
> >> Also put me down for $50 *if* Prescott cleans his room by Sunday night.
>
> >> SB

Prescott Ogden

Feb 15, 2012, 11:56:57 PM2/15/12
to HeatSync Labs
Ben,

You don't have to be a member. I put you down for $50.

bit.ly/SyncStarter

We're at about 30% now.

Jeremy Leung

Mar 8, 2012, 8:11:21 PM3/8/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
As the Ultimaker was the most popular item proposed on SyncStarter last month it was past to the board for sign off in the procurement process and we're about to order it.  Before we click purchase we wanted to see if any 3D printing enthusiasts needed consumables and/or parts and wanted to hop in on our order(these items wouldn't be funded by HSL).  The site is below:

We intend on ordering this tomorrow night after the 2nd Friday talks so please speak up before then.

Harry Meier

Mar 8, 2012, 8:53:26 PM3/8/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Excellent, I was going to ask where this was. Has everybody chipped in their pledged donations?

Nate Plamondon

Mar 8, 2012, 9:02:08 PM3/8/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Oh! Good question. Best/fastest non-PayPal option?

--
Nate Plamondon
Sent from a tiny on-screen keyboard

Scott Bailey

Mar 8, 2012, 10:05:25 PM3/8/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
OK, I just made my donation.  $50 (regardless of the state of Prescott's room ;) )

--
Scott Bailey

Jacob Rosenthal

Mar 8, 2012, 10:24:40 PM3/8/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Square? Cash? Check ?

Sent from my iPhone

Will Bradley

Mar 8, 2012, 10:28:07 PM3/8/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Shhhh don't tell anyone but we have a Dwolla account 812-477-0715

I can't guarantee your money won't go into a black hole :P

Also make sure you're earmarking the money somehow so Jose knows what's what. Either attach a note or email Jose separately.

Jeremy Leung

Apr 21, 2012, 2:44:39 AM4/21/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
As a quick update we ran into a bit of an order snag where even though money was available Paypal prevented the purchase for some reason as we were purchasing this from the UK.  This has been remediated and the purchase went through last Friday the 13th.  Ultimaker quotes the delivery time as, "We will ship your kit in four to six weeks after your payment has been received."  So hopefully we can expect it latest in about a month.  We'll get a big announcement out when it arrives.