Haxe 2.10 Released !

Nicolas Cannasse

Jul 16, 2012, 2:58:03 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On the behalf of the whole compiler team, I can happily say that the
Haxe 2.10 release is now available on http://haxe.org/download !

You can read about the main features of 2.10 on this page :
http://haxe.org/doc/release/2.10

The ChangeLog here :
http://haxe.org/file/CHANGES.txt

And if you have some time the 693 revisions since 2.09 ;)
http://code.google.com/p/haxe/source/list

Enjoy !
Nicolas

j...@justinfront.net

Jul 16, 2012, 3:02:34 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I removed haxe folder before starting.

It is giving an error

download

Error = Eof

Called from /usr/lib/haxe/neko/zip/Reader.hx line 148

etc...

Achmad Aulia Noorhakim

Jul 16, 2012, 3:03:04 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Nice, congrats to the whole team!

Nicolas

Michael Cann

Jul 16, 2012, 3:02:57 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Great news! Grats Nicolas and everyone else that contributed :)

Nicolas

--
Mike Cann
http://www.mikecann.co.uk/

j...@justinfront.net

Jul 16, 2012, 3:09:16 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I think it is denying permission because if I run the same command in
the terminal with an sudo it works.

Nicolas Cannasse

Jul 16, 2012, 3:13:02 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 16/07/2012 21:09, j...@justinfront.net a �crit :
> I think it is denying permission because if I run the same command in
> the terminal with an sudo it works.

You're talking about OSX installer, right ?
It should ask for permissions at startup, usually.

Best,
Nicolas

j...@justinfront.net

Jul 16, 2012, 3:17:22 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
It does not seem to be asking for permission.

On 16 Jul 2012, at 20:13, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> Le 16/07/2012 21:09, j...@justinfront.net a écrit :
>> I think it is denying permission because if I run the same command in
>> the terminal with an sudo it works.
>
> You're talking about OSX installer, right ?
> It should ask for permissions at startup, usually.
>
> Best,
> Nicolas

Nicolas Cannasse

Jul 16, 2012, 3:20:47 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 16/07/2012 21:17, j...@justinfront.net a �crit :
> It does not seem to be asking for permission.

It does on my OSX 10.6 :'(

I think that's because you had already had the rights to write in
/usr/lib/haxe and /usr/lib/neko : in that case it will assume you're
running with sudo already.

Best,
Nicolas

dlots

Jul 16, 2012, 3:32:42 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Incredible code! Thank you for all of your work!

On Monday, July 16, 2012 3:20:47 PM UTC-4, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
Le 16/07/2012 21:17, j...@justinfront.net a �crit :

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer

Jul 16, 2012, 3:34:16 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the awesome work. I updated everyone at my office on Friday (just to make sure there wasn't any problems before the release) and things went very smoothly. I was upgrading from 2.08 to 2.10 and only had to change 4 lines of code in our whole system! (just File IO stuff).

Very awesome - and the integration with FD is flawless.

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
_______________________

Touch My Pixel
http://www.touchmypixel.com/
cell: +1 650 842 0920
_______________________

Nicolas Cannasse

Jul 16, 2012, 3:46:02 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 16/07/2012 21:34, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer a �crit :
> Thanks for all the awesome work. I updated everyone at my office on
> Friday (just to make sure there wasn't any problems before the release)
> and things went very smoothly. I was upgrading from 2.08 to 2.10 and
> only had to change 4 lines of code in our whole system! (just File IO
> stuff).

Please note that there has been several changes since 2.10 RC so you
might want to upgrade again to 2.10 final :)

Best,
Nicolas

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer

Jul 16, 2012, 3:51:30 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. That's just been done and still works perfectly ! :D

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
_______________________

Touch My Pixel
http://www.touchmypixel.com/
cell: +1 650 842 0920
_______________________

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Nicolas Cannasse <ncan...@motion-twin.com> wrote:
Le 16/07/2012 21:34, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer a écrit :

Thanks for all the awesome work. I updated everyone at my office on
Friday (just to make sure there wasn't any problems before the release)
and things went very smoothly. I was upgrading from 2.08 to 2.10 and
only had to change 4 lines of code in our whole system! (just File IO
stuff).

Please note that there has been several changes since 2.10 RC so you might want to upgrade again to 2.10 final :)

Best,
Nicolas

j...@justinfront.net

Jul 16, 2012, 3:57:05 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Ok looks like it was my permissions sorry about that, neko seemed to
run the Hello world so all good :)

On 16 Jul 2012, at 20:20, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> Le 16/07/2012 21:17, j...@justinfront.net a écrit :
>> It does not seem to be asking for permission.
>
> It does on my OSX 10.6 :'(
>
> I think that's because you had already had the rights to write in /
> usr/lib/haxe and /usr/lib/neko : in that case it will assume you're
> running with sudo already.
>
> Best,
> Nicolas

Justin Donaldson

Jul 16, 2012, 5:32:03 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Would anyone mind if I clean up the small grammar issues for this announcement?  They are very small, but this is a big release :)

Big thanks to Cauê Waneck which is working on this
Big thanks to Cauê Waneck who is working on this

That sort of thing...

-Justin

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM, j...@justinfront.net <j...@justinfront.net> wrote:
Ok looks like it was my permissions sorry about that, neko seemed to run the Hello world so all good :)

On 16 Jul 2012, at 20:20, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

Le 16/07/2012 21:17, j...@justinfront.net a écrit :
It does not seem to be asking for permission.

It does on my OSX 10.6 :'(

I think that's because you had already had the rights to write in /usr/lib/haxe and /usr/lib/neko : in that case it will assume you're running with sudo already.

--
blog: http://www.scwn.net
twitter: sudojudo

Franco Ponticelli

Jul 16, 2012, 5:33:46 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Do it ;)

Justin Donaldson

Jul 16, 2012, 5:49:26 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
done!

off to do some tweets.

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer

Jul 16, 2012, 5:59:08 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Just FYI. I added the "/docs/release" page, with at least a link to this release info. Not sure if there's info on other releases as well. I'll link from docs page (couldn't find it from site, had to come through mailing list).

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
_______________________

Touch My Pixel
http://www.touchmypixel.com/
cell: +1 650 842 0920
_______________________

Lee McColl Sylvester

Jul 16, 2012, 6:27:21 PM7/16/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
This is awesome stuff!  Congrats to everyone!  I'm especially looking forward to checking out the new C# target (tho, I doubt I'd ever look forward to something Java related ;-))

Also, can't wait to hear more about this C++ debugger!

Cheers,
Lee

Juraj Kirchheim

Jul 17, 2012, 10:02:17 AM7/17/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Great work guys!

You might be interested to hear, that a whole number of subtle macro
bugs seem to have disappeared between the RC and this release. Have
only worked with it for a couple of hours, but it makes a very stable
impression :)

Thanks a lot,
Juraj

Nicolas Cannasse

Jul 17, 2012, 10:04:36 AM7/17/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 17/07/2012 16:02, Juraj Kirchheim a �crit :
> Great work guys!
>
> You might be interested to hear, that a whole number of subtle macro
> bugs seem to have disappeared between the RC and this release. Have
> only worked with it for a couple of hours, but it makes a very stable
> impression :)

I'm glad we fixed these subtle macro bugs without even noticing :D

Best,
Nicolas

Juraj Kirchheim

Jul 17, 2012, 10:05:53 AM7/17/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Nicolas Cannasse
<ncan...@motion-twin.com> wrote:
> Le 17/07/2012 16:02, Juraj Kirchheim a écrit :
>
>> Great work guys!
>>
>> You might be interested to hear, that a whole number of subtle macro
>> bugs seem to have disappeared between the RC and this release. Have
>> only worked with it for a couple of hours, but it makes a very stable
>> impression :)
>

> I'm glad we fixed these subtle macro bugs without even noticing :D

So am I ;)

Raphael Harmel

Jul 17, 2012, 10:45:45 AM7/17/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Well done boyz !

Raph

Nicolas Juneau

Jul 17, 2012, 11:16:27 AM7/17/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Great! I'll be sure to take a look at that new Java target! I was
wondering, are there source tarballs available for download? It would
make compiling the latest stable release easier!

Le 16/07/2012 14:57, Nicolas Cannasse a �crit :

Andreas Mokros

Jul 17, 2012, 11:37:06 AM7/17/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:16:27 -0400
Nicolas Juneau <n.ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was
> wondering, are there source tarballs available for download? It would
> make compiling the latest stable release easier!

Why? Is downloading a tarball so much easier than:
svn co http://haxe.googlecode.com/svn/tags/v2-10 haxe
?

--
Mockey

Nicolas Juneau

Jul 17, 2012, 11:53:02 AM7/17/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
For 2.09 it was sometimes needed to pick specific revision numbers
instead of the tagged revision in order to compile from source (see
"Installing Haxe 2.09 from source" or "Building 2.09 from source" in the
mailing list).

Since I couldn't rely on the tag to compile a stable version, I thought
that having a tarball that is known to compile a stable version
correctly would be nice instead on having to know which revision to pick.

Le 17/07/2012 11:36, Andreas Mokros a �crit :

Andreas Mokros

Jul 17, 2012, 12:33:50 PM7/17/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:53:02 -0400
Nicolas Juneau <n.ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since I couldn't rely on the tag to compile a stable version, I
> thought that having a tarball that is known to compile a stable
> version correctly would be nice instead on having to know which
> revision to pick.

I see. "Stable version" is a moving target for haxe. There are
already some fixes in trunk now that are not in the 2.10 tag. Also
there are the externals for the ocaml libs. If you want to capture the
current state, it might be best to checkout the current trunk _right
now_ and svn export that. That's as stable as you can get, I guess...

--
Mockey

Nicolas Cannasse

Jul 17, 2012, 12:52:52 PM7/17/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 17/07/2012 17:53, Nicolas Juneau a �crit :
> For 2.09 it was sometimes needed to pick specific revision numbers
> instead of the tagged revision in order to compile from source (see
> "Installing Haxe 2.09 from source" or "Building 2.09 from source" in the
> mailing list).

We had some issues with 2.09 release so we had to make changes after that.

We also had issues at the moment we were building 2.10 but I made sure
the v2-10 tag was correctly placed after these were fixed.

We might fix other things in 2.10, but honestly most of the users might
not notice :) And it's still possible to introduce new bugs while making
changes, so you can consider 2.10 release being stable and SVN being
2.10 + bugfix + maybe-new-bugs (potentially unstable depending on commits)

Please note that we are still interested in having users using live SVN
version since the most quick we get bug reports the best quality
software we can make :)

Best,
Nicolas

Nicolas Juneau

Jul 17, 2012, 1:29:58 PM7/17/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I can use SVN without problem - it was more a question of having the
equivalent of a binary release in a source release.

The particular reason for my request is that if I build a library and
tell users that it's compatible with, for example, Haxe 2.10, such
library must compile with the release published officially on the Haxe
Web site (I think it's what users would expect). Since Haxe's binary
release is not available in Linux 64 bit, I must build the compiler from
source. If the compiler that I use differs in features or bugs with the
official binary release, I cannot know if its output will be truly
compatible with version I'm trying to target. It's just about having a
stable baseline and having a certain expectation of compatibility.

If, using the SVN tag 2-10, I can have the exact equivalent of what is
actually available for download on the official Web site, then problem
solved, I'll be more than happy to use SVN :-) . And of course if I come
across bugs I'll make sure to report them!

Heinz Hölzer

Jul 18, 2012, 7:00:43 AM7/18/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Great work, thx a lot!

François Nicaise

Jul 18, 2012, 7:20:13 AM7/18/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Bravo for this release ! I will now try to play with the cpp debugger :)