FontStruct.com is using more Haxe

rob meek

Oct 4, 2016, 11:19:06 AM10/4/16
to Haxe
Thanks to Haxe, Fontstruct.com finally replaced its legacy Flash font editor with a pure-haxe HTML5 version over the weekend.

I'm very pleased with the results, and very grateful to Nicolas and the Haxe community for creating and nurturing such a wonderful language. While most of the pages on FontStruct.com are still served by an unglamorous framework written in the most unglamorous language, most of our most important and exciting components – both on the client and the server – are now built from the same Haxe codebase. It feels good.

I'm now looking forward to porting our last server-side java component (our font generation software) to Haxe over the coming months.

Thank you Haxe!

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Oct 4, 2016, 11:27:17 AM10/4/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Nice!

>I'm now looking forward to porting our last server-side java component (our font generation software) to Haxe over the coming months.

What target will you be using in this case?

rob meek

Oct 4, 2016, 11:48:12 AM10/4/16
to Haxe
First of all, Java!
Not as crazy as it might sound - it's all about working towards a single codebase and reducing the amount of code that need maintenance. Overlap removal is something that Java does well and fast and natively.
Ultimately javascript font generation would be nice but I don't think it could do the computational geometry quickly enough.

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Oct 4, 2016, 12:17:39 PM10/4/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Exciting stuff, let us know how it goes. We need more interesting discussions about Haxe for the web here!

Cambiata

Oct 4, 2016, 3:41:07 PM10/4/16
to Haxe
Congrats!

A writeup about your work on blog.haxe.org would be great!
In particular, the Haxe Java ideas for server use I find super interesting..!

Keep it up!