Streaming about Haxe

Nicolas Cannasse

Feb 24, 2016, 2:16:51 PM2/24/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've been toying in my mind for some time with the idea of doing some
weekly streaming talking about Haxe, new features we're working on, or
other things I've been doing in terms of tools, optimizations, etc.

I'll get started for a first short session this friday, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJEl0zd0YtQ

I'm quite sure it will be catastrophic because I need to learn how it
works, but you need a start for everything :)

See you there!

Nicolas

Guilherme Medeiros

Feb 24, 2016, 2:22:50 PM2/24/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I LOVE THIS IDEA!

Is this a "only you" thing or are you planning on expanding this idea?

Id like to ask if you had the time to read a previous discussion on "Haxe Nomade Community" and if you'd like to merge your idea with it.
The advantage of merging ideas is that you wont be the only person responsible for presenting content, since we may have different casters/presenters "weekly" (or other time frame), sharing the burden.

Anyways, I will be there watching!

Nicolas

Dan Korostelev

Feb 24, 2016, 2:39:25 PM2/24/16
to Haxe
That is AWESOME! I am really looking forward to watch this, since even though I have push access to the haxe repo, I often have very little idea of what's going on with the project.

Nicolas Cannasse

Feb 24, 2016, 4:31:19 PM2/24/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 24/02/2016 20:22, Guilherme Medeiros a écrit :
> I LOVE THIS IDEA!
>
> Is this a "only you" thing or are you planning on expanding this idea?

ATM it's "only me" thing, but I hope this will inspire other Haxe devs
to do it as well.

I don't have much time to blog as I used to a few years ago so I think
it's an more modern format to show the things I'm working on.

Best,
Nicolas

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Feb 24, 2016, 5:12:04 PM2/24/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Awesome Nicolas, way to go! Looking forward to hearing some news about HL as well :)

Nicolas

varomix WEY

Feb 24, 2016, 11:30:44 PM2/24/16
to Haxe
This is a great idea Nicolas, the more info about Haxe the better

Josefiene Pertosa

Feb 25, 2016, 5:41:52 AM2/25/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Is there going to be a recording of this?

Cause I will most likely miss it. Also, I could then write a transcript and put it on the Blog, if you like.

Fiene

Francis Bourre

Feb 25, 2016, 8:24:07 AM2/25/16
to Haxe
I love this idea as well. Thanks for sharing with us.

Andre Lacasse

Feb 25, 2016, 5:58:59 PM2/25/16
to Haxe
Good idea if the video can be publish easily after.

Juraj Kirchheim

Feb 26, 2016, 1:55:47 AM2/26/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Same here. I would speculate that YouYube provides for a way to publish the video :D

Héctor A

Feb 26, 2016, 8:01:18 AM2/26/16
to Haxe
Am I the only one not hearing anything?

Stephane Le Dorze

Feb 26, 2016, 8:05:26 AM2/26/16
to Haxe
no sound here..

Guilherme Medeiros

Feb 26, 2016, 8:08:03 AM2/26/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Just for the sake of testing: the video became available on youtube after the stream ended.

Guilherme Medeiros

Feb 26, 2016, 8:24:09 AM2/26/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

Phillip Chertok

Feb 26, 2016, 10:09:05 AM2/26/16
to Haxe
This was a great session.  Thanks so much for doing it!  Hopefully there will be more in the near future.

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Feb 26, 2016, 10:11:56 AM2/26/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hey, is the full recording on youtube or twitch? I'm just starting my day and wasn't online at the time!

Nicolas Cannasse

Feb 26, 2016, 11:21:53 AM2/26/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 26/02/2016 16:11, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa a écrit :
> Hey, is the full recording on youtube or twitch? I'm just starting my
> day and wasn't online at the time!

YT didn't work well so I switched to Twitch, but I can't see my
recording in the Video Manager as I should in order to make the VOD
public. Not sure how to deal with it.

Best,
Nicolas

varomix WEY

Feb 26, 2016, 12:25:04 PM2/26/16
to Haxe
You need to check "Automatically archive my broadcasts" at http://www.twitch.tv/settings/channel

if not is just not recorded at all  :(

Nicolas Cannasse

Feb 26, 2016, 12:26:57 PM2/26/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 26/02/2016 18:25, varomix WEY a écrit :
> You need to check "Automatically archive my broadcasts" at
> http://www.twitch.tv/settings/channel
>
> if not is just not recorded at all :(

It is now activated (it was disable by default and not that easy to find
since I was in hurry :) ) Next time then I guess...

Best,
Nicolas

Ashiq A.

Feb 26, 2016, 12:27:09 PM2/26/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Can someone please summarize some of the key points mentioned, since there may not be a recording?

Philippe Elsass

Feb 26, 2016, 12:46:35 PM2/26/16
to Haxe
Very interesting format !
--
Philippe

Benjamin Dasnois

Feb 26, 2016, 2:12:02 PM2/26/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

Does this fit within Twitch restrictions?

Alvaro Castaneda

Feb 26, 2016, 2:26:00 PM2/26/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
seems like HaxeDevelop was announced, at least I haven't seen it

sadly is based on flashDevelop and is only windows, hopefully that changes

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Haxe" group.

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Feb 26, 2016, 4:11:15 PM2/26/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys, I'm still not able to play the recording on Twitch... was it fixed?

Alvaro Castaneda

Feb 26, 2016, 4:16:58 PM2/26/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
the recording is lost, it wasn't set up for recording

maybe Nicolas could do it again  :)

Valentin Lemière

Feb 28, 2016, 6:20:39 AM2/28/16
to Haxe
Nicolas mainly talked about two points:

The first one is @:structInit, a new metadata available in the development version of Haxe,
it allows to create an object with the same syntax as anonymous structure.
http://pastebin.com/86jtXv6Y

The second one is the "inline new", already available, that allows object to be inlined,
https://github.com/delahee/haxe.opt/blob/master/inline_function_new.md

And to see the effect of that one you can add "-D dump=pretty" to your compile command,
it'll create a dump folder, with a subfolder for the target, and inside all the files after the compiler worked in a near Haxe syntax.

He also mentioned the use of "-D analyzer", HaxeDevelop and answered a couple of questions from the chat that I don't remember.

Justin Donaldson

Feb 29, 2016, 11:47:37 AM2/29/16
to Haxe
Was there a good thread on @:structInit?  I wanted to catch up on that.

Was @:structInit necessary because typedefs on C++ are slow?

Skial Bainn

Feb 29, 2016, 4:20:42 PM2/29/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
This github issue appears to be the one that created @:structinit.

Justin Donaldson

Feb 29, 2016, 7:07:54 PM2/29/16
to Haxe
On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 1:20 PM, Skial Bainn <skial...@gmail.com> wrote:
This github issue appears to be the one that created @:structinit.

Nice!  Great overview.  It's awesome to see the rationale and thought process behind these features.

Francis Bourre

Mar 4, 2016, 12:57:41 AM3/4/16
to Haxe
Hi Nicolas, is there something planned today ?

Nicolas Cannasse

Mar 4, 2016, 11:39:01 AM3/4/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 04/03/2016 06:57, Francis Bourre a écrit :
> Hi Nicolas, is there something planned today ?

Yes, I announced it on my twitter, sorry I forgot the google group.

The recording is now available here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckdOSCqUV6U

It will be soon posted on the new Haxe blog http://haxe.org/blog

I'll try to keep a weekly schedule, follow me on twitter if you want to
make sure not the miss the live (which allows you to get questions
answered as well :)

Best,
Nicolas

Benjamin Dubois

Mar 24, 2016, 8:28:57 AM3/24/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
The last streaming about macro was awesome:
even if I knew one could do such thing with haxe macros, the "live web page ids gathering" make it feels really simple and powerful.

Thank you !

Nicolas Cannasse

Mar 24, 2016, 4:31:09 PM3/24/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 24/03/2016 13:28, Benjamin Dubois a écrit :
> The last streaming about macro was awesome:
> even if I knew one could do such thing with haxe macros, the "live web
> page ids gathering" make it feels really simple and powerful.
> https://youtu.be/SEYCmjtKlVw?t=1262

Thank you :)

This week I'll give a quick introduction of Haxe Compiler sources, for
those interested in understanding how it works, you can join me live
Friday at 1.30pm (Paris) here:

http://www.youtube.com/c/NicolasCannasse/live

Best,
Nicolas