[Haskell-cafe] How to report builds...?

Christopher Howard

Aug 24, 2016, 1:33:12 AM8/24/16
to haskel...@haskell.org
Hi list. Hackage cannot build my package, because for some reason it
will only use base-4.9.0.0, which does not satisfy the dependencies of
some of my dependencies. So, I was trying to figure out how to report my
own builds. However, when I use the "cabal report" command, cabal take
my username and password, and then (so far as I can tell) does nothing.
I tried increasing the verbosity, as well as upgrading to the latest
version of cabal, but this did not work. And I can seem to find the
documentation for this feature. Please advise.

--
https://qlfiles.net
My PGP public key ID is 0x340EA95A (pgp.mit.edu).

Daniel Trstenjak

Aug 24, 2016, 3:53:03 AM8/24/16
to haskel...@haskell.org

Hi Christopher,

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 09:32:56PM -0800, Christopher Howard wrote:
> Hi list. Hackage cannot build my package, because for some reason it
> will only use base-4.9.0.0, which does not satisfy the dependencies of
> some of my dependencies.

There's a dependency between the GHC version and the base library
version, each GHC comes with its own base library.

In the case of base-4.9.0.0 you are using GHC 8.0.1, which is the
latest and quite new compiler version, so most likely some of
your dependencies just don't support GHC 8.0.1 yet.

For now it might be easier to stick with GHC 7.10, until more
libraries are updated.

Greetings,
Daniel

Christopher Howard

Aug 24, 2016, 10:53:40 AM8/24/16
to Daniel Trstenjak, haskel...@haskell.org
On 08/24/2016 12:01 AM, Daniel Trstenjak wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 09:32:56PM -0800, Christopher Howard wrote:
>> Hi list. Hackage cannot build my package, because for some reason it
>> will only use base-4.9.0.0, which does not satisfy the dependencies of
>> some of my dependencies. So, I was trying to figure out how to report my
>> own builds. However, when I use the "cabal report" command, cabal take
>> my username and password, and then (so far as I can tell) does nothing.
>> I tried increasing the verbosity, as well as upgrading to the latest
>> version of cabal, but this did not work. And I can seem to find the
>> documentation for this feature. Please advise.
>
> But the first thing you could try is to call cabal with the '--allow-newer'
> option, which allows newer library versions then specified by the
> constraints. This will only work if the newer library versions don't
> containt breaking changes, so it's just a way to get going for the
> moment but no real solution.
>
> About the reporting, there's no other way then to contact every single
> developer of the breaking libraries.

Well, I know the reason it cannot build with base-4.9.0.0: My library is
fully compatible with base (>=4.6 && <4.10), but it depends on the Gloss
library (>=1.7 && <1.10). I cannot use Gloss 1.10, because Gloss 1.10
has a breaking API change on one of the Gloss functions I use in my
library, which I could only get around if I used a lot of conditional
code, which I haven't done yet. However, only Gloss 1.10.* is compatible
with base-4.9.0.0.

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/mars
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/mars-0.2.1.0/reports/

Hackage, it is seems, will only try building with base-4.9.0.0, rather
than reverting to an earlier version and compiler. The package builds
just fine on my system, using an earlier base and compiler. So, I guess
the question is, do I have to further restrict the dependencies of my
library (to exclude 4.9.0.0) just because one of my dependencies cannot
handle that version?

Daniel Trstenjak

Aug 24, 2016, 11:36:39 AM8/24/16
to haskel...@haskell.org
On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 06:53:28AM -0800, Christopher Howard wrote:
> The package builds just fine on my system, using an earlier base and compiler.

So you're saying that gloss <1.10 builds with base 4.9?

Then ask the maintainer of gloss if there would be any issues of
supporting base 4.9 with gloss 1.9.

Most likely they didn't bother to support newer ghcs with older
gloss versions. But If they're nice they might release a new
gloss 1.9 version supporting base 4.9.