[Haskell-cafe] Wiki account Request

Siddharth Bhat

Oct 22, 2016, 5:30:12 AM10/22/16
to haskel...@haskell.org
Hey, I'd like a wiki account to edit the Template Haskell pages (the links to the user guide are broken)

preferred username: bollu

Also, I think it's a little ridiculous to have this be a closed thing (I can't simply register to the wiki). Shouldn't the barrier to entry be _lowered_?

Thanks,
Siddharth
--
Sending this from my phone, please excuse any typos!

Malcolm Wallace

Oct 22, 2016, 9:40:05 AM10/22/16
to Haskell Cafe

On 22 Oct 2016, at 10:29, Siddharth Bhat wrote:

> Also, I think it's a little ridiculous to have this be a closed thing (I can't simply register to the wiki). Shouldn't the barrier to entry be _lowered_?

It is necessary to guard against spambots that auto-register themselves and then destroy the value of the wiki.

Regards,
Malcolm

Ruben Astudillo

Oct 23, 2016, 1:51:49 AM10/23/16
to Malcolm Wallace, haskel...@haskell.org
On 22/10/16 10:39, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> On 22 Oct 2016, at 10:29, Siddharth Bhat wrote:
>> Also, I think it's a little ridiculous to have this be a closed thing
>> (I can't simply register to the wiki). Shouldn't the barrier to entry
>> be _lowered_?
>
> It is necessary to guard against spambots that auto-register
> themselves and then destroy the value of the wiki.
>
> Regards,
> Malcolm

As currently stands, too little people can even edit the wiki know,
those are humans! you know? :-D . Now in all seriousness, how do other
wikis handle this issue? I know wikipedia filter blocks of IP & records
who-did-who to see bad behaving actors, maybe this is too much for our
case? what does for example the archwiki in this regard? (I will ask
them)

-- Ruben

Joachim Durchholz

Oct 23, 2016, 4:49:37 AM10/23/16
to haskel...@haskell.org
Am 23.10.2016 um 07:51 schrieb Ruben Astudillo:
> Now in all seriousness, how do other
> wikis handle this issue?

Manual work.
Such as manually checking Registration requests.

Talking from experience with my own blog, I can say that antispam
software catches 99.9% of spam but I still need to react to the
remaining 0.05% false positives and 0.05% false negatives. I need to do
that promptly, else the real comments will take too much time to appear,
frustrating the authors.
My workload is "once per month or less", but that's likely because my
blog is virtually unknown.

Nicole Rauch

Oct 23, 2016, 6:01:45 AM10/23/16
to haskel...@haskell.org
> Now in all seriousness, how do other
> wikis handle this issue?

O the site I co-developed (software craftsmanship community site with 1500+ users) everybody can register themselves (with OpenID / OAuth providers), and to edit the wiki, one needs to be logged in. So people have instant access if they want, and we did not have a single spambot case so far.

Cheers,
Nicole