"Kaddish for a human minyan"

David Seidenberg

Sep 9, 2018, 3:59:00 PM9/9/18
to Ravnet, ohala...@clergy.ohalah.org, NHC list, ha...@googlegroups.com
Dear Chevra,

As some folks may recall, I worked on a "secular" kaddish after my
mother died so that I could say kaddish under circumstances where I
could gather ten people but not ten Jews. I continued to work on this
kaddish and have been sharing it with people in my home community, and
people seem to really love it and get a lot out of it. So I thought I
would share it with you all now (even though most will probably only
see it after Rosh Hashanah), because you may find it useful in two
ways:

1) As a kind of prayer for Creation in the spirit of the Rosh Hashanah
liturgy that hopes for the time when "all creatures become united in
one band" to serve God.

2) As an alternative kaddish to do at any point in the service where
people might get benefit from something that they can read in English.
As such this is not a replacement for kaddish but it might work as one
of several kaddishes that get said in a service.

Text and link to download follows.

Shanah Tovah uMetukah,

David Seidenberg

(P.S. I just realized during shabbat that in my column on choosing
life I had put Yom Kippur twice where I should have written Rosh
Hashanah. If you liked the column but noticed the mistake, it is now
revised at the same link:
https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/choose-life-whose-life/)

Here is the text, which you can download from:
neohasid.org/pdf/Kaddishforahumanminyan.pdf

"Kaddish for a Human Minyan"

Mourners: May the Name that fills all names be blessed and
strengthened in this created world. May the Breath of Life that fills
all breaths fill us with Life, and may it guide and rule our actions
and visions, in our lives and in our time, now in this world, and in
every moment to come. And let us say: Amen.

Everyone: Amen. May that great Name be blessed within us and in all
worlds, for all time.

Mourners: May Holiness stream forth from its Source, full of blessing
and beauty. May the Name that weaves all Life be blessed and praised,
made beautiful and resplendent, lifted up and exalted, to the highest
and most majestic…

Everyone: Blessed be!

Mourners: …beyond all the praises and blessings and songs and prayers
that can ever be said in the whole world. And let us say:

Everyone: Amen.

Mourners: May the Life and Love within us and between us be
strengthened. May the Breath that fills all breaths fill the Cosmos
with Peace, and may Peace and Life flow to us, to our community, to
all peoples, and to all beings in this world. And let us say:

Everyone: Amen.

Mourners: The One who makes Peace in the furthest reaches of Creation
will bring Peace to us and to all living beings. And let us say:

Everyone: Amen.