Longest Existing Handbell Choir

DS BC

Oct 11, 2016, 11:07:00 AM10/11/16
to Handbell-l
I am attempting to determining who the longest performing handbell choir is in the USA and/or the World.

Any ideas or recommendations on determining this information would be greatly appreciated.

I have contacted Handbell Musicians of America, Schumerich Bells, and White Chapel Bells with inquiries so far.

The Dorothy Shaw Bell Choir was founded in 1964 and this is their 52nd consecutive year as a performing organization.  We are very curious to know where we rank in the USA and internationally in this area.

Thank you for any advice.

Lauren Sanders

Oct 11, 2016, 11:17:44 AM10/11/16
to handb...@googlegroups.com

Beats us.  We've had our bells since 1969.

Laurie Sanders
Pacific Beach Presbyterian Church
Crusader Bells
San Diego CA

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l+subscribe@googlegroups.com

Barbara Robinson

Oct 11, 2016, 2:36:57 PM10/11/16
to handb...@googlegroups.com
We had ours since 1978.
Time flies.
Barbara Robinson
Cranford UMC
Cranford, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

Digest: e-mail mdp...@gmail.com with subject line "Digest-L"
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Handbell-l" group.

F. Thomas Simpson

Oct 11, 2016, 2:46:35 PM10/11/16
to handb...@googlegroups.com
My church choir "Van Etten Bells" got their bells in 1949!

I think the Thompson's started in the late 50ties.

And I believe the Beacon Hills ringers in Boston are from the 40ties.

Thomas

Thomas
Sent from my iPhone

Merry Lloyd

Oct 11, 2016, 7:11:13 PM10/11/16
to 13
You  might want to contact Handbell Ringers of Great Britain too...I am SURE there are some long-timers there..

merry, former member of HRGB
--
Merry Lloyd
Columbia River Handbells

HBlady

Oct 17, 2016, 11:25:40 AM10/17/16
to Handbell-l
If you're looking in the USA, you should start on the East Coast. The first handbell choirs were likely started there.

But as Merry said, it's more likely that the longest running or "oldest" handbell choirs (or teams as they call them) are somewhere in the UK.

P.L.

RogerL

Oct 18, 2016, 5:21:00 AM10/18/16
to Handbell-l
As a number of people have commented the longest - as in length of time since being formed - handbell teams are indeed here in the UK, the home of handbell ringing. Ecclesfield Handbell Ringers, based in Sheffield, Yorkshire (and who performed in the main concert at the 15th International Handbell Symposium in Liverpool) were formed in c1896 and have been performing continuously since that time.
Roger Lazenby, Leeds, UK

Ali

Oct 19, 2016, 1:58:44 AM10/19/16
to Handbell-l
The Brookhampton Bell Ringers in Western Australia have a 112-year continuous history. Thy formed in 1904.

Their ringing style is quite unusual and I suspect is a bit of a time capsule where they have continued to ring in relative isolation. I believe they are also using their original bells.

St Andrew's Church in Adelaide has a set of bells dating back to the 1890s, but they have not been in continuous use.

HBlady

Oct 28, 2016, 11:20:40 PM10/28/16
to Handbell-l

HBlady

Oct 28, 2016, 11:20:53 PM10/28/16
to Handbell-l

HBlady

Oct 28, 2016, 11:21:07 PM10/28/16
to Handbell-l
Thanks, Roger. Ecclesfield was the group I was thinking of - I saw them ring in Liverpool at the International Symposium. The question is whether there is a group out there that can beat 1896 as a start date!

PL

mwi...@claganach.net

Oct 29, 2016, 3:26:06 AM10/29/16
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Scotland's oldest handbell group in continuous existence and still performing, and on the original handbells, is Paisley's St James Handbell Ringers formed in 1884.

Malcolm Wilson
Dunblane