Handbells with soprano solo

Alison Pruett

Jan 15, 2017, 12:43:42 PM1/15/17
to Handbell Listerve

I play with a 5-octave community group (Harmony Handbells in Las Vegas) and we have a ringer who turns out to be a fabulous coloratura soprano. During our December concerts we did James Meredith's arrangement of Mozart's Alleluia for bells and soprano. Does anyone have any suggestions of other pieces that are already arranged for solo singer and bells?

-Alison Pruett

Michele Sharik

Jan 15, 2017, 3:43:30 PM1/15/17
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Tammy Waldrop's "Give Me Jesus" is gorgeous!

For a more adventurous piece, consider "Hell's Belles" by Libby Larsen, commissioned by Sonos for Frederick von Stade, and recorded by The Raleigh Ringers.  4 movements with texts about women who dared. One of my all-time favorite pieces!

-Michèle

Sent from my iPhone

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

Megan Reishus

Jan 15, 2017, 9:53:12 PM1/15/17
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Caccini's Ave Maria arr. Jefferey A. Hall: https://sonologymusic.com/musical-scores/ave-maria

It's beautiful (in my opinion) but if you're looking for flashy or complicated, it's not the one you're looking for. :)

Megan Reishus

Stephanie Wiltse

Jan 17, 2017, 1:56:51 PM1/17/17
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alison!

A couple others to add to the suggestions here:

"Rise Up My Love, My Fair One" by Blanche Kangas; National NMHB401

"Creator of the Light" by Carl Wiltse; a minor publishing AMIN004

Stephanie Wiltse
Grand Rapids, MI