Arnold Sherman's Grazioso

Debbie Henning

May 25, 2017, 12:12:55 PM5/25/17
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I think that I know the story behind this piece, but before we perform it on our concerts, I want to make sure.  Would someone please share the story behind Arnold Sherman's Grazioso.  Thanks.

Debbie Henning

Kathy Smith

May 25, 2017, 12:32:17 PM5/25/17
to Handbell-l
Hi Debbie:

We recently rang this piece during Lent and spring and this is the write-up I used for the service guide:
This piece was commissioned in memory of Norma Taubert Brown, a handbell ringer, who died of cancer in 1988. The music tells the story of Norma's life, her struggle with illness, and her ultimate journey to heaven.  Each section of the music reflects this journey.  During the season of Lent, we can reflect on Jesus' struggle, death and ultimate triumph in His resurrections as we listen to Grazioso.

Hope that helps.  This piece is such a powerful and beautiful piece that has now become part of our permanent repertoire.

Blessings to you and happy ringing,
Kathy Smith
The Lamb's Voice Director
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church
Saginaw, MI

Ann Frederking

May 25, 2017, 12:57:29 PM5/25/17
to Handbell-L
We rang it twice this past year. Once at the funeral of the husband of a friend who rings in my ensemble and who directs her own. And again, a couple of months later in memory of one of my group who died. (Her funeral was a couple of days after Christmas and not enough of us were available to ring at the service).

We used a shortened version of the story,
"Grazioso begins with a lyrical theme, but then the music darkens, depicting the subject's struggle with illness. The middle section has a huge dissonant chord followed by echoes representing final heartbeats. Then malleted treble bells depict the welcome home to heaven. The music transitions back into the original theme, but this time it is boldly triumphant, reminding us of the question in I Corinthians: " O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? Death is swallowed up in victory!" "

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l+subscribe@googlegroups.com

2016 Christmas letter - https://violaann.smugmug.com/Other/Christmas-2016/n-hK9JGk/
Ann's hostas - about 180 varieties, updated for 2016. Start at:
https://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-my-garden-A/
Emmanubells Handbell Ensemble - http://www.emmanuelunited.ca/worship_renewal/bells.php
Photo gallery of the construction of my viola d'amore - http://violaann.smugmug.com/Music/My-Viola-DAmore-Marguerite/36032083_cHq22
Ottawa Chamber Orchestra - http://www.ottawachamberorchestra.com/

BellB...@aol.com

May 25, 2017, 1:03:49 PM5/25/17
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Grazioso was commissioned by Area  10 right after Norma had been in Seattle to share the podium with Arnold Sherman. She  was ill at that time but wanted to keep her commitment to conduct at the Greater Puget Sound Festival. When she was not conducting, she would lay on a couch  that had been moved into the gym. When it  was her turn to conduct, she  seemed to have extra strength to ascend the podium,  conduct her rehearsal as if she were in perfect health and then return to the couch after she had finished.  She stayed another week in the Seattle area with a friend until she was well enough to fly home and I think she passed away about a week after she returned home.  Area 10 wanted to premiere the piece the following year at  the Greater Puget  Sound Festival    but had to wait nearly 3 years before they could premiere the work.

In a message dated 5/25/2017 9:32:24 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, ksmithpi...@gmail.com writes:
[...]

Digest: e-mail mdp...@gmail.com with subject line "Digest-L"
---

Colin Walker

May 25, 2017, 3:37:02 PM5/25/17
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Here's a link to an Area 10 newsletter that provides some more background on the piece:

I forget -- was someone working on a database of these stories?  There are so many stories behind the music that would be great to capture.

Colin

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 10:03 AM, BellBuggyX via Handbell-l <handb...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

David Engle

May 25, 2017, 4:05:37 PM5/25/17
to handb...@googlegroups.com

What a great tribute.  I lived in Kent during the early 80's but was not aware of handbells until a friend from the Kent Lutheran Chuch invited us to her church to hear them.  Sadly our church, (the Kent FPC) did not get their handbells until after we moved to Virginia.  We missed a great opportunity.

Digest: e-mail mdp...@gmail.com with subject line "Digest-L"
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Handbell-l" group.

mic...@thegoldendance.com

May 25, 2017, 5:45:02 PM5/25/17
to handb...@googlegroups.com
A few years ago, I played a solo concert at a church in Rochester, NY. I
was looking at plaques and pictures on the wall of a hallway in the
church & imagine my surprise to find the memorial plaque dedicated to
Norma Taubert Brown! That had been her home church. It was extra special
because I performed the solo version of Grazioso on my concert that
night!

-Michèle Sharik
>> Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com
>> Digest: e-mail mdp...@gmail.com with subject line "Digest-L"
>> ---
>> Groups "Handbell-l" group.
>> send an email to handbell-l+...@googlegroups.com.
>
> --
> Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
> Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com
>
> --
> Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
> Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com
>
> --
> Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
> Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://groups.google.com/d/optout

Judith Treisback

May 27, 2017, 5:12:34 PM5/27/17
to Handbell-l
Michele, that concert was about an hour from Rochester, The Presbyterian Church in Geneva, NY - I took over Norma's handbell choir in the fall of 1988. And of course, Grazioso was in our standard rep - gorgeous piece!

Judy Treisback

mic...@thegoldendance.com

May 27, 2017, 5:20:32 PM5/27/17
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Judy -- That's the one! I couldn't remember the name of the place,
but did remember you playing viola with me. That was an awesome
experience, too. :-)

-Michèle