My experiences converting my website to Python Flask

Joseph McCullough

Jul 10, 2012, 10:40:16 AM7/10/12
to hack...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

I wrote an article documenting my experience converting my website from PHP/Wordpress to the Flask microframework for Python.

Check it out!

Justin Reese

Jul 10, 2012, 11:27:55 AM7/10/12
to hack...@googlegroups.com
Oresome, Joe. Very cool post and experience.

I just started a Big Project in Django, and we're already wondering if Flask would've been a better choice. (We're barely utilizing the ORM aspects of Django.) For now we're sticking with it, but it'll be interesting to re-evaluate at the end of the project and see how much Django we're over-riding and if Flask would've been a better choice.

Joseph McCullough

Jul 10, 2012, 11:46:08 AM7/10/12
to hack...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like an interesting predicament. I think it comes down to the 'being brave' thing I mentioned in the article. We're so used to plugging in gems/libraries that I think we undervalue our own intelligence and abilities to do things by ourselves. At the opposite end, though, we all know the fruitlessness of reinventing the wheel. The gems and libraries we use are almost always written by people smarter than us. Still, if smart code doesn't match our requirements exactly, we have to do some work to make it fit. It's all a balancing act.

Joseph McCullough

Jul 10, 2012, 12:29:44 PM7/10/12
to hack...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to mention, a snapshot of the site's source can be found on github.